OT: 74th Obsequious Banter Thread: Remember That Mike Vecchione Guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I tried explaining this to the guy, but nope I'm a "conspiracy theorist" who doesn't have any clue of what's going on. The guy just wants to play freaking Pokemon Go without lagging. He declares himself an Übermensch but he's a freaking dumbass when it comes to anything tech related.

tenor.gif

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Buy his one year old devices for bargain basement prices if he remotely takes care of them.

His current iPhone is 4 years old. His gaming desktop is even older. His PS4 is haunted. The disk randomly ejects sometimes on him. I could probably get a steal of deal and flip his stuff. But that just seems like a hassle.

I want to believe in the good of all mankind. But I'm leaning toward him being a hopeless cause.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
5g is starting to roll out. The problem is that it's coming in various forms. You have mmWave, which is a significant step up in speed, but has major range and penetration issues. Low-band 5G is not nearly as fast but has much better coverage. Mid-band is about to be put into private use, as it was previously mostly for the military.

TLDR; Unless you know how to read coverage maps and are positive about it, current 5G may or may be not 5G and you may or may not be able to get reception from inside of a building or from outside of the downtown areas of major cities.
Ok, so like 4g Sprint without wifi.

Tldr: f*** sprint

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
From what I gather, the thought process with 5g is that eventually it would replace your home modem/wifi and you would power all of your devices using 5g.

Similar to 4g when 3g/Edge was around the network infrastructure isn't developed enough to justify a 4g phone.

I think of it similar to 4k tvs a few years back, or to 8k tv's now...there really isn't any 8k content or 5g spectrum in the wild at the moment to support buying a device simply for 5g.

With that said I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
From what I gather, the thought process with 5g is that eventually it would replace your home modem/wifi and you would power all of your devices using 5g.

Similar to 4g when 3g/Edge was around the network infrastructure isn't developed enough to justify a 4g phone.

I think of it similar to 4k tvs a few years back, or to 8k tv's now...there really isn't any 8k content or 5g spectrum in the wild at the moment to support buying a device simply for 5g.

I’m semi excited for 5G but I hope Huawei has nothing to do with our infrastructure. They seemed to be pushing hard to want to help us with it.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I’m semi excited for 5G but I hope Huawei has nothing to do with our infrastructure. They seemed to be pushing hard to want to help us with it.

Huawei is an issue, but the root cause of everything is incompetence and thriftiness at the carrier level.

You're always going to have major issues in this sector in a Lawful Intercept locale, but there are steps you can take to mitigate. Historically this has been handled spectacularly poorly.

Note: I'm speaking from a technical angle, not a political one.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I can't live without unlimited data on my phone anymore. It'd be wild if wireless data could compare to wired internet and you wouldn't have to worry anymore about stuff like how close your router is to your wifi-enabled device. My poor nephew brought his Xbox to my mom's apartment and we tried playing GTA5 Online but it was virtually unplayable. They have their router in my stepdad's bedroom on the other side of the apartment. I also have my Xbox hard-wired to my router since that's what I do most of my online gaming with. Sometimes the wifi on my PS4 struggles to stream Netflix. I'd love to not have to deal with all that nonsense and wire clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad