72nd Obsequious Banter Thread: Revisiting the Zeppinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Such amazing skating is out there... but the influx of energy drink companies and big shoe companies etc seem to have made a select few very rich... but means a lot of board companies and more "core" skate brands struggle. Not enough money to go around, when ~20 years ago in the late 90s/early 00s boom all the money was pretty much going directly to skaters/skater owned companies. Plus ofc now "videos" dont make money like they did.

It certainly "feels" like less people skate now as well. Albeit I have not been inside a park in like 10 years (I lie, I was in one in Copenhagen, but different!). When I go past the places back home where people used to skate people still do... but it seems 90% the same guys who were there 10-15 years ago, but just 10-15 years older!

Tbh though there were a solid ~12-15 of us from my friendship group aged 14-20 who skated... I would guess ~3-4 of us have stepped on a board in the last 5 years.

I cant speak much though, have maybe skated 3 days in the last 18 months (and one was showing my 10 year old sister how to skate!), and tried jack **** barring just ollies and shuv-its. All I could ever do was jump up and down things, so hard to do that now as dont really fancy getting hurt! In a few years when buy my own place though for sure putting in a mini-ramp!

Philly always seems to a non-American as the skate mecca outside California.

Ricky Oyola
Kerry Getz
Pete Eldridge
Jimmy Gorecki
Josh Kalis
Bam Margera
Stevie Williams
Chris Cole
Ishod Wair
Tom Asta

I guess maybe NY has more... but that list has 2x SOTYs in Cole and Wair... and Asta, Williams, Kalis, Oyola and Margera who were/are all SOTY contenders at their best.
Had no clue there were so many great guys from here. I used to love it, but I got into supercross instead and didn’t follow it as much.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
That would be an ocelot, so I wouldn't suggest it!

e6894703896f41d526744ca241878432.gif

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Such amazing skating is out there... but the influx of energy drink companies and big shoe companies etc seem to have made a select few very rich... but means a lot of board companies and more "core" skate brands struggle. Not enough money to go around, when ~20 years ago in the late 90s/early 00s boom all the money was pretty much going directly to skaters/skater owned companies. Plus ofc now "videos" dont make money like they did.

It certainly "feels" like less people skate now as well. Albeit I have not been inside a park in like 10 years (I lie, I was in one in Copenhagen, but different!). When I go past the places back home where people used to skate people still do... but it seems 90% the same guys who were there 10-15 years ago, but just 10-15 years older!

Tbh though there were a solid ~12-15 of us from my friendship group aged 14-20 who skated... I would guess ~3-4 of us have stepped on a board in the last 5 years.

I cant speak much though, have maybe skated 3 days in the last 18 months (and one was showing my 10 year old sister how to skate!), and tried jack **** barring just ollies and shuv-its. All I could ever do was jump up and down things, so hard to do that now as dont really fancy getting hurt! In a few years when buy my own place though for sure putting in a mini-ramp!

Philly always seems to a non-American as the skate mecca outside California.

Ricky Oyola
Kerry Getz
Pete Eldridge
Jimmy Gorecki
Josh Kalis
Bam Margera
Stevie Williams
Chris Cole
Ishod Wair
Tom Asta

I guess maybe NY has more... but that list has 2x SOTYs in Cole and Wair... and Asta, Williams, Kalis, Oyola and Margera who were/are all SOTY contenders at their best.
Great post! Skated almost every day from around age 8-17.
Flirted w sponsorships but I was always doing basketball at the same time so I was constantly walking on thin ice with coaches concerning injuries real and imagined.
Skated with a few of the guys you listed.

Agree 1000 percent on the economics of skating. Its a dangerous and still highly illegal in many places street culture and despite being stronger in terms of bigger companies willing to spend and skating as a whole being acknowledged by the mainstream,there's still not enough money in it to justify a lot of the punishment.

When you have someone like Tyshawn Jones who's a top 5 athlete in the world today imo still not a household name despite doing alien-like **** on a skateboard I think it speaks volumes.
And he's at the top. So many other great young (and old) skaters that can barely support themselves despite being insane geniuses and breaking their bodies.

Dont have a kid but if I did I wouldnt let him/her skate that seriously.

Rather just have him/her join a band or start rapping, same youthful rebelllion with a much lower chance of long term injuries :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Appleyard

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Skateboarding and the like will never be more popular than it is now or was around the time THPS1/2/3 were released. Regardless of how athletic some of the skaters are or how fantastic the tricks they do, it will always come off as an x-games limited events.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ok tech nerds. My phone seems to be using way more data than usual the last 2-3 months. I have Project Fi and never use more the 2-3 GB per month bc I am almost always on wifi unless I'm driving. I used over 6 this month and 4 and 5 the last two months. Almost seems like I am using data while on wifi. Anyway have any insight here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad