Prospect Info: #71 Josh Anderson, D

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
FWIW what transpired after the draft was that everyone they planned on drafting at that position got taken and they were originally planning to draft Stienberg with another pick later in the draft.
I suggest Avs "hoped" he fell to their second 3rd, but once Nikita was gone they had no chance but go one position up on their draft board sadly. Would've loved to get Campbell, Grewe, Jones, Alnefelt, Puistola, Legare, Farinacci, or Dorofeyev instead. There were so many higher calibre players that went specifically in that round this pick is like eating saltine crackers Bouillon Bilk in Montreal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Rumors flew around that the Rags were going to select Stienburg with their 3rd too. My guess is the Avs had him targeted clearly as a guy they wanted to draft (each team despite their list has guys they are willing to reach on), and when they got bumped around on their order, they just took the plunge and drafted a guy they liked.

Hindsight 20/20 the right pick in that spot was the Rags' pick in Jones... honorable mention to Farinacci. Though I do think Grewe (who I would have picked) will be a bottom 6 guy and Campbell has legit 2nd line upside. Jones just has legit top 4, 40+ point upside in his game. It is between Perbix, Jones and Harris for the best defensemen in college hockey right now.

Reactions: S E P H

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Hindsight 20/20 the right pick in that spot was the Rags' pick in Jones... honorable mention to Farinacci. Though I do think Grewe (who I would have picked) will be a bottom 6 guy and Campbell has legit 2nd line upside. Jones just has legit top 4, 40+ point upside in his game. It is between Perbix, Jones and Harris for the best defensemen in college hockey right now.

With all that massive influx of talent the Rags are going to be a dangerous team in a couple of years.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With all that massive influx of talent the Rags are going to be a dangerous team in a couple of years.

They certainly have some talent, but they will need to figure out their center slots sooner rather than later. Some decent projectable talent into the right roles, but they need to actually take the next step and prove themselves.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They certainly have some talent, but they will need to figure out their center slots sooner rather than later. Some decent projectable talent into the right roles, but they need to actually take the next step and prove themselves.
PLD is on the market and they have the pieces to make it work.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Steinburg is a significantly better pick than Anderson though.

Anderson from the moment he was drafted everyone knew he was never playing in the NHL. He was just an awful pick with very low upside and an even lower floor.

Steinburg has NHL upside. It isn't great and it's probably unlikely he gets there, but he's young and raw and if his development path works out he can be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

Is there a better way to use a 3rd round pick then on a guy who's best case scenario is a 4th liner? Yes, but its still a much better selection then that Anderson

I think this selection rivals Mitchell Heard and Bleackley as being the absolute worst draft picks of the decade from Colorado. Just all 3 picks were complete and utter failures almost immediately after the picks were made.

I legit punched my computer when the Avs wasted a high second rounder on Heard. Dudes absolute ceiling was career AHL 3rd liner. An inexcusable pick worthy of losing ones job in the spot.

Two years later, A monkey throwing darts would have done better than we did in the 2014 draft. Mixing meth and opioids. Bad bad bad.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He said prospects that potentially could become NHLers. If we are saying sure things than I would say just Byram even though I think Newhook is highly likely as well. I think Kovalenko, Ranta, Helleson, Anunnen and Foudy are good 50-50 types. If we get 3 out of those I'm very happy.
Ambrosio looks legit right now.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Ambrosio looks legit right now.
He seems to be playing well but his size will be a hurdle. He needs sometime to develop before I'd project anything from him. Seems like a good pick though. I'll take gambles on skill over guys like Heard, Meurs or Anderson who we've wasted picks on in the past.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Some pundits think there could be a trade involving PLD and Barzal in the near future.
It would only be fitting for Dubois to end up on an even more defensive team after wanting out of Columbus to play on a more offensive team to boost his scoring and get him paid more. :laugh:

Reactions: Foppa2118

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He seems to be playing well but his size will be a hurdle. He needs sometime to develop before I'd project anything from him. Seems like a good pick though. I'll take gambles on skill over guys like Heard, Meurs or Anderson who we've wasted picks on in the past.

He’s a freshman playing first line and first PP on the number 2 ranked team the NCAA. he’s definitely playing well. Ryder Rolston is barely playing at Notre Dame. So what Ambrosio is doing is quite impressive.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Some pundits think there could be a trade involving PLD and Barzal in the near future.
Columbus would have to add quite a lot to make a deal happen around those two. And they don’t have the assets to make that happen.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I think you're underrating Dubois, he does stuff that Barzal can't. They're two different type of players IMHO.
They are obviously different players. Brazal has far more skill and speed. Dubois has a huge size advantage.

But I’m not underrating Dubois. You’re under rating Brazal. The only hockey trade that makes sense here value wise is Seth Jones for Barzal. Neither team does it for obvious fit vs needs reasons. but that’s the right value comp.

Brazal is an elite player. Dubois is a very good and well rounded player. An Avs comparison would be Rants vs Landy. Landy is a very good NHL player. Rants is a tier above and better than Landy. Same with Brazal and Dubois.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barzal is a fantastic young center, he is limited defensively, but electric offensively. Even with that though, he's more of a 65-75 point center than a PPG+. Dubois is a ~55-60... maybe 65 guy with high end 2 way abilities. PLD is a much better goal scorer than Barzal... PLD should hover between 25-30 during his prime where Barzal is low 20s. Both are great young pieces and are worth building around as a #1C.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They are obviously different players. Brazal has far more skill and speed. Dubois has a huge size advantage.

But I’m not underrating Dubois. You’re under rating Brazal. The only hockey trade that makes sense here value wise is Seth Jones for Barzal. Neither team does it for obvious fit vs needs reasons. but that’s the right value comp.

Brazal is an elite player. Dubois is a very good and well rounded player. An Avs comparison would be Rants vs Landy. Landy is a very good NHL player. Rants is a tier above and better than Landy. Same with Brazal and Dubois.
I mean offensively they're pretty similar players but PLD is more well rounded. I think they're about even all things considered.

Reactions: MarkT

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

If you offer all 31 GMs to pick one of the two you'd be surprised by the result.

Reactions: MarkT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

I prefer Barzal over Brazal to be honest.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I prefer Barzal over Brazal to be honest.

I prefer Brazzers.

main-qimg-f2e2d07c500e5ef51efda4f4ca45884f

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
31 would take Barzal

Hmm...

One guy is 23, 6;0", 187 Ibs, Fast skating, creative offensively, averaged 0.81 points per game for the past two seasons. Not known for his defensive acumen.

The other guy is 22, 6'3", 218 Ibs, hard-working two-way player, averaged 0.72 points per game for the past two seasons.

It would really depend on what the GM was looking for. If the team needs a boost in speed and offensive skill, then Barzal should be the pick. If your team needs size and two-way play, you would pick Dubois.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad