Prospect Info: #71 Josh Anderson, D

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Don't know if this has been posted but he was #61 on Bob Mackenzie's final draft list. At mid season ranking, he was #49. I think we're being a little pessimistic about Josh. His skating is of concern (mainly due to his size, he'll improve) and I understand he doesn't possess the best puck skills but he does possess great awareness and positioning. We need a beast in our own end. 2-4 years and maybe he surprises us.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Real slim pickings at that point. There's really only one half-way realistic "shoulda picked this guy" if you look at the stats right now and that's Victor Mete. Should they also have picked Jesper Bratt who went next instead of Nate Clurman? Prob.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

This is meaningless unless it results in a buyout of his contract, we all knew here that 99.9% he was always going to be cut from the main squad and sent to the minors. If he ever becomes an NHL player, it will be because a long-term late progression in his game like two to three years down the line from today.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Picks like Josh are like a reminder that the Avs used to do meth. We are past that now. We sobered up.

Reminder: We used Ottawa's 3rd rounder (which was the 1st pick of that round, so basically a late 2nd) on Matthew Stienberg just last year.

I say let's wait a couple of years to evaluate our 2019 and 2020 picks before claiming that we moved on from shit drafting.

Reactions: McJedi

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Steinburg is a significantly better pick than Anderson though.

Anderson from the moment he was drafted everyone knew he was never playing in the NHL. He was just an awful pick with very low upside and an even lower floor.

Steinburg has NHL upside. It isn't great and it's probably unlikely he gets there, but he's young and raw and if his development path works out he can be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

Is there a better way to use a 3rd round pick then on a guy who's best case scenario is a 4th liner? Yes, but its still a much better selection then that Anderson pick.

I think this selection rivals Mitchell Heard and Bleackley as being the absolute worst draft picks of the decade from Colorado. Just all 3 picks were complete and utter failures almost immediately after the picks were made.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Steinburg is a significantly better pick than Anderson though.

Anderson from the moment he was drafted everyone knew he was never playing in the NHL. He was just an awful pick with very low upside and an even lower floor.

Steinburg has NHL upside. It isn't great and it's probably unlikely he gets there, but he's young and raw and if his development path works out he can be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL.

Is there a better way to use a 3rd round pick then on a guy who's best case scenario is a 4th liner? Yes, but its still a much better selection then that Anderson pick.

I think this selection rivals Mitchell Heard and Bleackley as being the absolute worst draft picks of the decade from Colorado. Just all 3 picks were complete and utter failures almost immediately after the picks were made.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f6a303038303638546c47716d42513d3d2d313936312e313564623537396363333364323337313630393037373631393134322e676966

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
At this stage the only picks outside the 1st round that I have any confidence in potentially becoming NHL’ers are Connor Timmins and Drew Helleson.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I like Stienburg well enough. I'm not going to stump hard for him but he plays a pro-style game that could work out to a bottom sixer. Or it could be a big pile of nothing, especially with his development frozen due to the broken leg and Covid. But at least he will be a good AHL player, and Anderson wasn't even that. Even Mason Geertsen carved out a fine AHL career.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd add Kovalenko and Ranta. Than we have guys like Annunen and Foudy that I think have a decent chance aswell.
I don’t count anyone but Byram and probably Newhook.

The biggest thing Stienburg has going for him is his last name. I’ve watched him and he does grow on you but that fact is what will get him in the NHL if it ever happens.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
These are the kind of players that are drafted in 7th round or even go undrafted, and yet they took him with the 71st pick. Was always very questionable to me.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I don’t count anyone but Byram and probably Newhook.

The biggest thing Stienburg has going for him is his last name. I’ve watched him and he does grow on you but that fact is what will get him in the NHL if it ever happens.
He said prospects that potentially could become NHLers. If we are saying sure things than I would say just Byram even though I think Newhook is highly likely as well. I think Kovalenko, Ranta, Helleson, Anunnen and Foudy are good 50-50 types. If we get 3 out of those I'm very happy.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That Stienburg pick still doesn't sit well with me. When Hepple all but admitted they were caught a little off-guard at that particular point of the draft, it doesn't speak well about the player taken. What makes that worse is that it was an extra draft pick acquired via trade. Just like the A.J. Greer pick, I fear it'll be a big waste.

Reactions: Balthazar

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That Stienburg pick still doesn't sit well with me. When Hepple all but admitted they were caught a little off-guard at that particular point of the draft, it doesn't speak well about the player taken. What makes that worse is that it was an extra draft pick acquired via trade. Just like the A.J. Greer pick, I fear it'll be a big waste.
I 100% do not buy that a NHL scouting staff had no idea what to do when the first pick of the third round rolled around. Their list is not exhausted by then! That’s why they have days worth of meetings to create a list and get it in perfect order. They knew they were taking the kid, it was a matter of when. They probably saw that pick as “extra” to begin with and had it earmarked. Maybe who they hoped at 63 was gone and had to have the internal dialogue if they would just pull the trigger on Stienburg then. But that’s as far as I could see any sort of surprise.

Reactions: MarkT and McMetal

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They knew they were taking the kid, it was a matter of when.
No, they wanted Alexandrov and when he was picked right before, Hepple had the make the case to Sakic to try and get this lad no matter what. I don't think they would've cared if he got picked by another team right after theirs only if Alexandrov was their original selection.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I 100% do not buy that a NHL scouting staff had no idea what to do when the first pick of the third round rolled around.
No, they wanted Alexandrov and when he was picked right before, Hepple had the make the case to Sakic to try and get this lad no matter what. I don't think they would've cared if he got picked by another team right after theirs only if Alexandrov was their original selection.
FWIW what transpired after the draft was that everyone they planned on drafting at that position got taken under their noses and they were originally planning to draft Stienberg with another pick later in the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad