Prospect Info: #71 Josh Anderson, D

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He's a left shot D too, we're overloaded on that side... head scratcher.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm not totally convinced they didn't mistakenly draft the wrong "J. Anderson."
I'm starting to wonder about that too.

With Allard and Green still on the board, I'm really upset with this pick. What did they see in this guy to make them reach like this? Puck moving skill is so important in today's NHL and this guy seem to be really limited in that aspect. They could have probably got him in the 5th.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Not a fan of this pick at all, especially with guys like Green or Allard still on the board.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I'm starting to wonder about that too.

With Allard and Green still on the board, I'm really upset with this pick. What did they see in this guy to make them reach like this? Puck moving skill is so important in today's NHL and this guy seem to be really limited in that aspect. They could have probably got him in the 5th.

Maybe they let Roy take the reigns with this pick. That's the only thing that makes sense in my head, haha.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I kinda like this pick, yes hard-hitting defensive dmen are less common but you still need them. If he makes it, he'll likely be that reliable defensive depth guy that you don't feel bad sitting.

It's one of the roles that's very easy to fill with cheap free agents.

Avs might feel there is some more offense to him but usually the defensive defensemen in the NHL have 0.5 PPG or more in the CHL. A guy having 10 points in 83 WHL games suggests there isn't any puck moving ability there.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
If he's as successful as Beaupre then we'll be lucky. Not a fan of this pick at all. Screams Patrick Roy/Farrish type old school player.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seemed like Avs reached for this kid considering they didn't have a 4th rounder.

My scouting report on the kid

26. Josh Anderson, D [Prince George Cougars] Anderson is your run in the mill defensive defensemen. But he’s not only that, he plays a physical brand of hockey that is getting him noticed throughout the league and most importantly scouts. Won’t ever come close to being a two-way defenseman, but he’s probably one of the toughest draft eligible player since Dylan McIlrath coming from the Dub. Needs to work on skating, but all the tools are there to be a good middle pairing to bottom shutdown defender with a serious nasty streak.

He's okay, but definitely not a fan of this considering Greenway, Allard, and Green were still all on the board and IMO better talented defenders.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Seemed like Avs reached for this kid considering they didn't have a 4th rounder.

He's okay, but definitely not a fan of this considering Greenway, Allard, and Green were still all on the board and IMO better talented defenders.

Tthanks for the report.

If he can turn into a good shutdown #5, something we haven't had in a long long time, so be it. But I get the feeling he maxes out as a #6/7 at best, and by the time he gets there, it won't even be on the Avs.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

I think you nailed it, it would have been a solid 4th round pick but a bit of a reach for a 3rd round pick.

Not a fan of this move what so ever, seems like Patrick Roy got his way with this pick. Let's take the bruiser instead of the more talented guys.

I'll be stunned if Anderson makes it to the NHL at any point. The NHL is not really the place for bruisers who are not good puck movers, and have questionable skating.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think you nailed it, it would have been a solid 4th round pick but a bit of a reach for a 3rd round pick.

Not a fan of this move what so ever, seems like Patrick Roy got his way with this pick. Let's take the bruiser instead of the more talented guys.

I'll be stunned if Anderson makes it to the NHL at any point. The NHL is not really the place for bruisers who are not good puck movers, and have questionable skating.

Why is this always the assumption? There's literally no basis for this.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Why is this always the assumption? There's literally no basis for this.

Because of the way Roy neutered EJ's offense & drove Barrie out of town without even giving the smurf a chance? Plus how much he's talked about dmen jumping up into the play since he came back to colorado?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad