Prospect Info: #71 Josh Anderson, D

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Tthanks for the report.

If he can turn into a good shutdown #5, something we haven't had in a long long time, so be it. But I get the feeling he maxes out as a #6/7 at best, and by the time he gets there, it won't even be on the Avs.

He'll max out as a 5/6. In the AHL. Maybe.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not a fan of this pick.

Views were limited on him for me this year due to his back injury but I just don't see the need for this pick. I liked the Geertsen pick but a few years back but that's because I had seen good progression...can't say the same here. Not only that, but my views on actually taking "defensive" defenders has completely shifted. I wouldn't draft them.

I will say this, this kid is a mean SOB. Very mean and likes to scrap. I understand some teams still like that but the chance of him being an actual NHL player are like 5% and his comparables in that sense are guys whose roles aren't as prominent in the league anymore (Weber, Fistric, etc).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'll be surprised if he ever suits up in Burgundy and Blue. Disappointing pick, but you can't win them all I guess. I just don't have much faith in this type of player to make it in the NHL with those puck skills.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why is this always the assumption? There's literally no basis for this.

While it has never been stated it pretty clear Roy likes certain types of players, and will go out of his way to draft someone with less talent, but has size and scraps well.

I mean just look at the Jost selection. Roy basically comes out and says it wasn't his first choice. When clearly Jost or Brown were two most talented guys left on the board. Everyone assumes that Brown was Roy's guy. But then I hear stuff from players like Max Jones who says they thought Colorado was going to take them, I start to wonder what is going on.

All the scouts and Sakic love Jost but Roy doesn't. I'm starting to really question Roy's ability to evaluate players. Max Jones is lucky to be a 1st round pick. If he plays on any other team in the OHL he probably is a 2nd round pick. You're looking at a guy who put up all of 52 points last season, does he put up those kind of numbers if he isn't sheltered by Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak? Probably not. Then you look at OHL guys selected in the 2nd round like Kyrou, Mascherin, Debrincat, Bastian, Katchouk etc and even most these guys were statistically better than Jones. If anything Jones compares favorably statistically to Katchouk who was taken at 44.

I'd even take bets that Morrison ends up the better player between him and Jones. There are just certain players every year that benefit from being on good teams around good players. Just like there are players that get under-rated because they are on a bad team surrounded with no help. I think Jones is a primary example of a player who had his stock go up by being on a very talented team.

The thing with Roy is he gets so enamored by physical characteristics that he almost forgets about hockey IQ. It's like in his head he has the ideal hockey player, and when he see that body he thinks he can mold him into this elite player, when that just isn't the case.

All I can say it's a very good thing that Sakic is around to say no to Roy. Because I guarantee Roy would bully the scouts into taking guys he wants and he'd probably get them because the scouts wouldn't say no to him. Sakic will say no to Roy, and it's a dman good thing. Or we'd be looking at one hideous draft of larger, not overly talented guys who can throw their weight around like Jones.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Foppa is right though, this thing about Jost is going to be repeated as long as Roy is still here and at best we literally heard it third hand and it was even in a different language. There is not one poster here who heard it first hand. This is how these stupid narratives start.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I heard that Roy & Sakic almost came to blows over picking this smurf. Roy will hate him as much as he hated ROR...

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
a new Siemens? I can live with that, it's only a 3rd rounder anyways. SA (or whatever is our affiliate by that time) will need some mean defenders down the road, so he will be serviceable.

Cooperman

Aug 25, 2007
Quebec City
Red Line Report on Josh Anderson:

69. Josh Anderson – Prince George LD

One of the most improved defencemen in the WHL before a season ending injury limited him to 39 games. Huge, strong, bruising and intimidating physical presence. Worked hard and has developed into a steady, stay-at-home defender. Has shown improvements in skating, shot blocking and defensive awareness. Clears his net very well, lets his goalie see everything, and will never back away from anybody. Loves to mix it up and is one of the most feared fighters in the Dub. Throws thunderous checks around the corners and separates opposing forwards from the puck. Logs top pairing minutes and is not a bad skater for such a big, young kid - strong on his edges and well balanced. One of the youngest players in this year’s draft has plenty of room for further development. Raw and a no nonsense player.

Projection: Huge #6 rearguard who supplies physical presence.

Style compares to: Alex Petrovic/ Dylan McIlrath

Red Line Report has Anderson as the toughest player/ best fighter of the draft.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Red Line Report on Josh Anderson:

69. Josh Anderson – Prince George LD

One of the most improved defencemen in the WHL before a season ending injury limited him to 39 games. Huge, strong, bruising and intimidating physical presence. Worked hard and has developed into a steady, stay-at-home defender. Has shown improvements in skating, shot blocking and defensive awareness. Clears his net very well, lets his goalie see everything, and will never back away from anybody. Loves to mix it up and is one of the most feared fighters in the Dub. Throws thunderous checks around the corners and separates opposing forwards from the puck. Logs top pairing minutes and is not a bad skater for such a big, young kid - strong on his edges and well balanced. One of the youngest players in this year’s draft has plenty of room for further development. Raw and a no nonsense player.

Projection: Huge #6 rearguard who supplies physical presence.

Style compares to: Alex Petrovic/ Dylan McIlrath

Red Line Report has Anderson as the toughest player/ best fighter of the draft.

Again, I like this pick. He's a bit of a gamble, but if he makes it he'll be a fantastic number 6 that can keep guys honest. Between he and Siemens one of them's gotta do something right?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

While it has never been stated it pretty clear Roy likes certain types of players, and will go out of his way to draft someone with less talent, but has size and scraps well.

I mean just look at the Jost selection. Roy basically comes out and says it wasn't his first choice. When clearly Jost or Brown were two most talented guys left on the board. Everyone assumes that Brown was Roy's guy. But then I hear stuff from players like Max Jones who says they thought Colorado was going to take them, I start to wonder what is going on.

All the scouts and Sakic love Jost but Roy doesn't. I'm starting to really question Roy's ability to evaluate players. Max Jones is lucky to be a 1st round pick. If he plays on any other team in the OHL he probably is a 2nd round pick. You're looking at a guy who put up all of 52 points last season, does he put up those kind of numbers if he isn't sheltered by Tkachuk, Marner and Dvorak? Probably not. Then you look at OHL guys selected in the 2nd round like Kyrou, Mascherin, Debrincat, Bastian, Katchouk etc and even most these guys were statistically better than Jones. If anything Jones compares favorably statistically to Katchouk who was taken at 44.

I'd even take bets that Morrison ends up the better player between him and Jones. There are just certain players every year that benefit from being on good teams around good players. Just like there are players that get under-rated because they are on a bad team surrounded with no help. I think Jones is a primary example of a player who had his stock go up by being on a very talented team.

The thing with Roy is he gets so enamored by physical characteristics that he almost forgets about hockey IQ. It's like in his head he has the ideal hockey player, and when he see that body he thinks he can mold him into this elite player, when that just isn't the case.

All I can say it's a very good thing that Sakic is around to say no to Roy. Because I guarantee Roy would bully the scouts into taking guys he wants and he'd probably get them because the scouts wouldn't say no to him. Sakic will say no to Roy, and it's a dman good thing. Or we'd be looking at one hideous draft of larger, not overly talented guys who can throw their weight around like Jones.

You're making a lot of loose assumptions here. I understand having a hunch or getting an impression on some of these things, but there's nothing to make you so sure about any of this. Like who Roy really wanted. How much he values size and toughness over IQ. How much responsibility he has for any of their picks.

Most of the basis for who Roy wanted (Brown, Jones, etc) are guys they didn't pick.

I doubt if Roy knew much of anything about Anderson for example. He doesn't have time to scout prospects, and admitted as much this year. That's why he leaves it up to Hepple and his staff. He probably gives an idea of what kind of player he thinks they should draft for needs after the 2nd round, and they take it from there.

Also can someone please point me to where it is that says Roy's direct quotes or can be heard or translated on Jost? Otherwise I put zero stock into it and wish it wouldn't have been brought up without specifics. It could mean anything. Like he really wanted Sergachev, who they apparently were hoping would fall to them according to Dater.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One of these mean MOFO's has to make it. For my entertainment they must make it.

If Mironov ever comes over he'll be a good third pairing guy. But I think one of Geertsen or Boikov will be the one to actually play for us in that role with any success. I'm expecting nothing of Dunk or Anderson.

Please. Chet knows what Roy really wants better than Roy!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Not a fan of this pick.

Views were limited on him for me this year due to his back injury but I just don't see the need for this pick. I liked the Geertsen pick but a few years back but that's because I had seen good progression...can't say the same here. Not only that, but my views on actually taking "defensive" defenders has completely shifted. I wouldn't draft them.

I will say this, this kid is a mean SOB. Very mean and likes to scrap. I understand some teams still like that but the chance of him being an actual NHL player are like 5% and his comparables in that sense are guys whose roles aren't as prominent in the league anymore (Weber, Fistric, etc).

I walked Fistric in the ball hockey finals 2-3 times a few years back. I hope anderson will be better.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The Roy-Sakic divide makes for good television, but it's likely way overblown. We have zero primary sources on it, and Roy's quote about Jost (which no one has sourced) could have meant a lot of things.

For what it's worth, Hepple said that Jost was highly rated by the Avs all along and a major target for them at 10. I forget where I heard that now, but I'm sure I can find the quote again if I had to. Given their need of a high end two-way center, it makes perfect sense that he would have been a prime candidate. I'm guessing the character issues that Jost shows were the tipping point between him and Brown, not size.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Hepple comments seem to indicate that they don't view his ceiling as being all that high either.

"Big, stay at home, mobile defenseman ... has some toughness in his game ... doesn't play an easy game, makes it tough on the opposition."

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Hepple comments seem to indicate that they don't view his ceiling as being all that high either.

"Big, stay at home, mobile defenseman ... has some toughness in his game ... doesn't play an easy game, makes it tough on the opposition."

Another one.....

“Big, physical, stay-at-home D-man,†Hepple said. “He has some skill and is able to move the puck. He’s not creative, but he can move it.â€

Sounds promising. :sarcasm:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I kinda like this pick, yes hard-hitting defensive dmen are less common but you still need them. If he makes it, he'll likely be that reliable defensive depth guy that you don't feel bad sitting.

Which is something you can pick up in later rounds. If Allard makes it he would be a top4 guy. If Greenway makes it he would be a top4guy. If Cederholm makes it it will be as a really good shutdown guy in the top4. Moverare, Day, Green, all have decent potential. Why are we going for a guy who we won't mind sitting? Is he for sure going to reach that reliable defensive depth guy level? Is his "probability" that high? He just seems like a reach.

At least it sounds like he is a smart defender to go along with being a big, mean SOB. I certainly like hearing that. Would feel much better if skating or skills were a plus as well though.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

Where did Roy say anything about jost? I swear everyone here just blames everything on Roy

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Another one.....

Sounds promising. :sarcasm:

Well for what it's worth he also said he has underrated puck skills, and thinks he had a tough year because of his back injury. Said their scouts liked him when they saw him early, and they're looking forward to big things from him.

https://www.nhl.com/video/post-draft-alan-hepple/t-278867534/c-44299803?q=nhl+draft

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Your hot takes have started to reach Skip Bayless levels...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That article points out something interesting, Anderson was a 3rd overall WHL pick. Went one ahead of Nolan Patrick. In the WHL they go even younger at 15, I know things change but I'm curious on what the upside with him was to go that high then. Seems like something the Avs look for in their later selections are these high bantam and midget draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad