Salary Cap: 71.4m to spend on 3rd line charactor guys and old D (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sorry, he's a LHS, so I just put him at LW.

Perron - Malkin - Frolik would have Perron and Frolik at their "preferred" position anyhow.

Yeah, but Johnston would do the opposite...just because.

You can't move Frolik 'up and down' the lineup once he gets to a certain salary level. We're already *****ing about Dupuis making too much for where he belongs, *****ing about Spaling making too much for what he provides, etc.

For me it's all about Phil Kessel. Go big or go home. Otherwise, look for young scoring winger options, and young forwards in general.

I wouldn't discount the second round pick in this year's draft, either. Depending on the right player, he could be a factor for us sooner rather than later.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
How much more scoring do you think Bozak will do than Sutter already does if he's not playing with Kessel, JVR and getting top powerplay time?

I'd be happy with a solid 35++ points which is very plausible if you Have Dupuis on his wing who does most of his point getting 5 on 5, and the third guy? getting 20/25 even strength.

We could see a 35/40 point trio across the board. And he should really help out the 2nd PP unit. He did score 12 PP goals.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
This is why he intrigues me and I hope we get him.

A Perron/Geno/Frolik line would be formidable.

If the Pens can get Kessel/Skinner/Oshie Sid/Horny that's not just the best top 6 we've had since they've been here that's one of the best in the league.

I would rather they do this :

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Stewart-Malkin-Kessel/Oshie
Plotnikov-Spaling-Dupuis
Bennett-Sundqvist-Wilson

Now that's a lineup

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Sutter can get 35 with Dupuis on his wing too. I bet Sundqvist could come close, if not this year than next. No reason to trade for Bozak and his higher cap hit to get 35 points from the 3C. He's just not worth what he costs. We could probably get Soderberg for about the same money without trading anything, and he's a better hockey player.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Yeah, but Johnston would do the opposite...just because.

You can't move Frolik 'up and down' the lineup once he gets to a certain salary level. We're already *****ing about Dupuis making too much for where he belongs, *****ing about Spaling making too much for what he provides, etc.

For me it's all about Phil Kessel. Go big or go home. Otherwise, look for young scoring winger options, and young forwards in general.

I wouldn't discount the second round pick in this year's draft, either. Depending on the right player, he could be a factor for us sooner rather than later.

Kessel, JVR, Yakupov, Eberle, Oshie, Skinner, Nyquist, Boedker - id be happy if we got any one of those guys

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm of the belief that with Crosby/Malkin's prime slipping away in front of us, there's no more time for reclamation projects and hail mary type roster moves. That ship has sailed at this point.

If you want a legit wing, you need to pony up the assets for a guy like Kessel or Hall - those guys a proven commodity. No more tweeners, no more castoffs, no more past-their prime guys.. even if it means trading away a decent amount of assets, I think pulling the trigger on a proven winger makes a lot of sense.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm of the belief that with Crosby/Malkin's prime slipping away in front of us, there's no more time for reclamation projects and hail mary type roster moves. That ship has sailed at this point.

If you want a legit wing, you need to pony up the assets for a guy like Kessel or Hall - those guys a proven commodity.

Hall will be an Oiler for life imo.
Only thing i don't wanna do in a Kessel(or any other marquee name) trade is wipe out our D-depth. We need Maata, DP and one of Domou/Harrington right now.
I'm fine with giving up anything else though.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Hall will be an Oiler for life imo.
Only thing i don't wanna do in a Kessel(or any other marquee name) trade is wipe out our D-depth. We need Maata, DP and one of Domou/Harrington right now.
I'm fine with giving up anything else though.

But outside of our D prospects, we don't have any roster player who's likely to return a quality top 6er. Maybe Brandon Sutter? Maybe? Kunitz ain't bringing back anything better than Kunitz, and we'd be ecstatic to find anybody willing to take Scuds. So, without trading our D prospects, what do you propose we deal that returns as a bonafide top 6 player? The only prospect in our system I see who isn't a dman who may yield something of value is Kapanen.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
But outside of our D prospects, we don't have any roster player who's likely to return a quality top 6er. Maybe Brandon Sutter? Maybe? Kunitz ain't bringing back anything better than Kunitz, and we'd be ecstatic to find anybody willing to take Scuds. So, without trading our D prospects, what do you propose we deal that returns as a bonafide top 6 player? The only prospect in our system I see who isn't a dman who may yield something of value is Kapanen.

Kapanen, Sundqvist, Murray and Jarry would be prospects that would carry a good bit of value. I wonder if any teams would be really interested in Murray. If love to send him, Sutter and maybe one of Dumoulin/Harrington/Bennett somewhere for a legitimate top 6 winger.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
2 years later and people still want Chris ****ing Stewart on this team. I can't even anymore.

People have different opinions on certain players. I've been a big fan of Stewie ever since his days on Kingston. He has his flaws, but there is no denying that he has a lot upside as well. He would fill needs on the top-six such as size, skill, goal-scoring ability, mobility for his size, willingness to stick up for his teammates and kick ass while doing so.

What I mentioned above overtakes his flaws with consistency and "laziness". This is a guy who didn't have the benefits that many other hockey players did. He had to live in a shelter with his family for a long period of time. He couldn't afford play hockey in his early teens; so he played football instead. It's impressive the challenges that his brother and him had to face in their life, yet still managed to get into such a high-caliber league. You can't have a poor work ethic to make it at such a high level of hockey. Unless, if you have elite skill.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Ploknitov-Tikhonov-Bennett
Spaling-Sundqvist-Comeau

Scoring Bottom 6

No thanks, if rather load up the top 6 and play the younger guys on the fourth. No way your getting rid of Dupuis and he won't be in the top 6 (least not to start the year). I think we'd be best served by going for a legitimate top 6 winger. I think that winger should be for Malkin, and Oshie, Kessel, Nyquist and JVR would fit the need there really well.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
2 years later and people still want Chris ****ing Stewart on this team. I can't even anymore.

My best friend is obsessed with Stewart. He's been wanting him here for years, he wanted him at the deadline, and he texted me the other day saying "we better ****ing offer Stewart a contract" :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If we end up not signing Plot, I wouldn't hate Stewart as a 3rd line guy who can jump to the top 6 for help. I wouldn't mind him as the lesser of two top 6 wing additions either, but he's well behind Frolik for who I'd want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad