Salary Cap: 71.4m to spend on 3rd line charactor guys and old D (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
because the media just spent 12 months painting Kessel and Phaneuf as the cause of all of the Leaf's problems over the past 4 years, and the team has done nothing to dispel those notions. So now, these two are the symbol for all of the failures and chokes and collapses.

Listen to the radio in the afternoon. If they are on the roster in September, there will be ... not riots, but really bad things. I said it before, and I'll repeat it, because my aphorisms are limited: the well has been poisoned.

Ya I get that. I just don't get why the Leafs are that stupid.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Plotnikov will be on an ELC. Tikhonov would not be. Not sure of price.

Thanks. I'm going to assume that it'll probably have a lot more bonuses than a standard ELC (except for guys that go at the top of the draft), but I'm just putting it down as a near max ELC to be conservative. Hopefully it comes in a couple million lower than that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Pittsburgh make the right moves we could have a decent team next season.

RmAvHuW.jpg

realityis

Jun 15, 2012
If you have Hornqvist, Perron, Frolik. Plotnikov, Skinner, and Bennett in your top-8 (wingers) do you have to worry about Kapanen's ELC?

All would be young and most would be on decent-term contracts, and I'm not sure any, outside of maybe Plotnikov, would be in a position for a substantial raise. And if they are, hey, they must have trade value. It's time this team re-learned how to Goligoski people.

I agree. That's a good looking top 8.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Skinner (5.725) - Crosby (8.7) - Hornqvist (4.25)
Frolik (5) - Malkin (9.5) - Plotnikov (.9) (does .9 work, or do I have to list it as 3.75?)
Perron (3.812) - Sundqvist (.925) - Dupuis (3.75)
Bennett (.9) - Tikhonov (3) - Comeau (2)
Wilson (.617)

(49.079)

Martin (5) - Letang (7.25)
Maatta (.894) - Pouliot (1.28)
Cole (2) - Lovejoy (1.1)
Dumoulin (.9)

(18.424)

Fleury (5.75)
Zatkoff (.6)

(6.35)

total: 73.853

RIP the dream

ObsessedCreative*

Hell must have frozen all over as this is the 1rst post of yours that i fully agree with. The guy has a concussion history but so far he's missed a grand total of 40 games if memory serves me well. He'd be a nice fit with the Pens, i mean, i like Kessel but if he comes over here & it doesn't work out, we're stuck with a huge contract. It's harder to get Kessel to start with as we'd have to dump some cap hit to the Leafs anyway...

Any and every player is one hit away from having concussion problems in the NHL you cant keep living in feat that something bad will happen, or else you'll have a roster full of Craig Adams and trash like that.

This team / organization with Skinner & his supposed "concussion problems" >>>>>> This team without him.

ObsessedCreative*

Which is way way way more-valuable than BB + 1st.

And I wouldn't blame the Pens for paying it.

I don't know if the cap works, but:

Skinner - Crosby - Hornqvist
Frolik - Malkin - Plot
Perron - Sundqvist - Dupuis
Bennett - TShirt - Comeau

trade: Kunitz, Spaling for futures

trade: Sutter, Kapanen, 1st for Skinner

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Pouliot
Cole - Lovejoy

Fleury
Zatkoff

You really see Frolik as the better player over DP39?!

DP39 pots 40 this season.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You really see Frolik as the better player over DP39?!

DP39 pots 40 this season.

eh, i wasn't really making a statement on relative skill. I was trying to build a ton of depth with a ton of good players. I like Perron and am excited to see what he does next year. I expect him to be very good.

People have all been wanting Frolik for Malkin, so I put those two together. I would not be shocked if Plotnikov wound up being moved down and Perron moved up in this scenario.

ObsessedCreative*

eh, i wasn't really making a statement on relative skill. I was trying to build a ton of depth with a ton of good players. I like Perron and am excited to see what he does next year. I expect him to be very good.

People have all been wanting Frolik for Malkin, so I put those two together. I would not be shocked if Plotnikov wound up being moved down and Perron moved up in this scenario.

Word up, I would have just flipped the two. I think DP39 works better in a top 6 scoring position being a trigger man for Geno or Sid and Fro works better down the depth chart scoring wise and playing.

Either way I expect a HUGE season out of DP39 he's got a lot to prove and to earn (with his contract expiring) Hopefully he is tearing it up and the pens can ink him to a James Neal like extension 5x5

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Baffling why they'd be muscling kessel.out right after making a high profile coach hire.

Not really. Not every move works out as perfectly as Trotz to Washington. Even that one had disaster written all over it but Ovechkin bought in and the rest followed him.

The difference here is Kessel isn't a leader on the Leafs. So the Babcock-Kessel marriage is doomed for failure.

On another note, the TSN cameras on SportsCentre this evening caught Ken Holland and Jim Rutherford in full discussion at some point today in Vegas.

Care to speculate what they were talking, or should I say whom they were talking about???

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Asking price for Bozak is apparently a 2nd.

If he could be had for a 2nd (that we might get in return for Sutter), what say you? 4.2 mil cap hit through 2018.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013
Not really. Not every move works out as perfectly as Trotz to Washington. Even that one had disaster written all over it but Ovechkin bought in and the rest followed him.

The difference here is Kessel isn't a leader on the Leafs. So the Babcock-Kessel marriage is doomed for failure.

On another note, the TSN cameras on SportsCentre this evening caught Ken Holland and Jim Rutherford in full discussion at some point today in Vegas.

Care to speculate what they were talking, or should I say whom they were talking about???

Probably Holland asking why he didn't trade despres to Detroit

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Asking price for Bozak is apparently a 2nd.

If he could be had for a 2nd (that we might get in return for Sutter), what say you? 4.2 mil cap hit through 2018.

4 mil caphit? Pass. I'd rather just sign Letestu if we need to go outside the organization to fill that spot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
:laugh: The blind hatred for this dude is unreal... hes like Jussi J part deux! :laugh:

expecting 25 goals isn't really hatred though. If he puts up 25 and 25, I'll be pretty happy with that. Especially since he will most likely only see top powerplay time if we go with 4 forwards. And if we add someone like Skinner, that's not even a given.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Now I'm confused.

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question?

What's happening?

Just curious what people think. I haven't really focused on Bozak much recently. But he's productive and good on draws.

4 mil caphit? Pass. I'd rather just sign Letestu if we need to go outside the organization to fill that spot.

Fair enough, but they're not really comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad