Salary Cap: 71.4m to spend on 3rd line charactor guys and old D (part XIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObsessedCreative*

expecting 25 goals isn't really hatred though. If he puts up 25 and 25, I'll be pretty happy with that. Especially since he will most likely only see top powerplay time if we go with 4 forwards. And if we add someone like Skinner, that's not even a given.

I'm just more or less talking about how I see tons of people here and other places wanting to trade the guy or calling him garbage.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Asking price for Bozak is apparently a 2nd.

If he could be had for a 2nd (that we might get in return for Sutter), what say you? 4.2 mil cap hit through 2018.

To play 3C? I'd rather run with Spaling until Sundqvist is ready for the 3C spot. He'd probably put up around 25-35 points as our 3C. He's productive because he plays with two great wings, and is on a top powerplay unit. Put him with 3rd liners and cut his PP time from 3:30 to about 1:30 with worse players and he simply isn't going to produce near what he does in Toronto.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm just more or less talking about how I see tons of people here and other places wanting to trade the guy or calling him garbage.

there certainly are people who seem to hate him. I don't get it either. I think there is a very very wide range between hating him and thinking he'll score 40 though :laugh: I think he's more likely to score less than 25 than to score more than 35. Again, due to the powerplay situation.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well, in my scenario, I don't think I'd want to pay Frolik 5M to play on the 3rd line.

Frolik - Malkin - Perron might not look too bad

Of course, the Pens are like 2.5M over the cap in my scenario, which doesn't help. Not re-signing Martin obviously covers this AND call-up room.

Is a forward group of

Skinner - Crosby - Hornqvist
Frolik - Malkin - Perron
Plotnikov - Sundqvist - Dupuis

Good enough to make up for a d group lacking in a whole lot of dynamic players?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we're going for 3 scoring lines, Bozak would seem like a pretty good option. If we're just looking for a relatively cheap placeholder for Sundqvist, then yeah, best to avoid.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Well, in my scenario, I don't think I'd want to pay Frolik 5M to play on the 3rd line.

Of course, the Pens are like 2.5M over the cap in my scenario, which doesn't help. Not re-signing Martin obviously covers this AND call-up room.

Is a forward group of

Frolik - Malkin - Perron

I like that forward group. And it will still be good in a year or two when roughly this same defense group should be more dynamic. That's the key for why I'd spend on forwards instead of on D. We can expect the d-men we have to become most of a good group. We really don't have that luxury at forward.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
4 scoring lines.

Kunitz/Dupuis, Bozak, Plotnikov/Dupuis/Bennett

I don't think Bozak will elevate the play of his linemates to create a vaunted scoring line especially one to cover up for his average to subpar defense. He plays on the top line in Toronto which inflates his numbers.

If you look at IcedCapp's scenario, you spend the money on someone like Frolik which gives you Perron, Horny, Frolik, Player X Trade, Plotnikov, BB, Dupuis as your top 9 wingers. That's scoring depth

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I like that forward group. And it will still be good in a year or two when roughly this same defense group should be more dynamic.

4th line included Bennett, Tikhonov, and Comeau, too, so three top-9 players, and Dupuis' eventual replacement

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Bozak is basically Brandon Sutter... I'd rather just give the spot to Sundqvist straight away and get a ton of winger depth.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If we're going for 3 scoring lines, Bozak would seem like a pretty good option. If we're just looking for a relatively cheap placeholder for Sundqvist, then yeah, best to avoid.

Yeah... I just don't see the point. You really might as well just keep Sutter. They are both horrific possession players. Bozak is a bit more... opportunistic, I guess? Sutter is better defensively (and I think Sutter is pretty overrated defensively). Bozak is better in the circle but I really don't care about that as much as everyone else seems to. Bozak has largely been glued to one of the best wings in the game and plays in all situations, including top powerplay. And his numbers are still... eh.

He's essentially an all-offense 3LC for 4+ million dollars. At least back when the team was paying Staal that (and shorting the top six in the process) he was a possession monster and regularly threw a wrench in the works of the other team with matchups. Bozak won't come close to doing that. He's not hard to play against.

Sorry... not ranting. Just explaining myself.

realityis

Jun 15, 2012

Is a forward group of

Frolik - Malkin - Perron

Great lineup

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah... I just don't see the point. You really might as well just keep Sutter. They are both horrific possession players. Bozak is a bit more... opportunistic, I guess? Sutter is better defensively (and I think Sutter is pretty overrated defensively). Bozak is better in the circle but I really don't care about that as much as everyone else seems to. Bozak has largely been glued to one of the best wings in the game and plays in all situations, including top powerplay. And his numbers are still... eh.

He's essentially an all-offense 3LC for 4+ million dollars. At least back when the team was paying Staal that (and shorting the top six in the process) he was a possession monster and regularly threw a wrench in the works of the other team with matchups. Bozak won't come close to doing that. He's not hard to play against.

Sorry... not ranting. Just explaining myself.

S'all good. When Staal was making 4 mil per it wasn't the same cap climate, but the argument still holds.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we're going to shell out huge money for Michael Frolik, at least place him at his best position (RW).

I mean, you gotta put your big-ticket items in the best position to succeed.

I still think we have to stay clear of the big tickets on July 1, and avoid all bidding wars.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If we're going to shell out huge money for Michael Frolik, at least place him at his best position (RW).

I mean, you gotta put your big-ticket items in the best position to succeed.

I still think we have to stay clear of the big tickets on July 1, and avoid all bidding wars.

Sorry, he's a LHS, so I just put him at LW.

Perron - Malkin - Frolik would have Perron and Frolik at their "preferred" position anyhow.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Sorry, he's a LHS, so I just put him at LW.

Perron - Malkin - Frolik would have Perron and Frolik at their "preferred" position anyhow.

I think the best part of Frolik is that he can move up and down the line-up. That is how they used him in Chicago where he was most effective. Not to mention it offsets the loss of Sutter as Frolik is a beast on the PK.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I think the best part of Frolik is that he can move up and down the line-up. That is how they used him in Chicago where he was most effective. Not to mention it offsets the loss of Sutter as Frolik is a beast on the PK.

This is why he intrigues me and I hope we get him.

A Perron/Geno/Frolik line would be formidable.

If the Pens can get Kessel/Skinner/Oshie Sid/Horny that's not just the best top 6 we've had since they've been here that's one of the best in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad