OT: 70th Obsequious Banter Thread: Hart asked the number to change to 79; we said no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I know the place has good food...but I have no idea why it's so popular with Philly athletes. Embiid is there every once in a while too.
Same here. There are a lot of Philly athletes and celebrities photos up on the wall. Not sure what the deal was

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
On iOS using Brave browser, for some reason, if I close the app out with this tab open, it switches to a different tab when opening. Now it’s still doing that but switching to this tab, it’s constantly taking me to 3 pages back on the last banter thread. I have no idea why it’s doing it but it’s driving me crazy.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Take the NCAA thread for example. It’s Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Penn St, Temple, and even the bottom of the barrel (Rutgers and Oregon) fans having zero issues getting along. I don’t disagree at all with your premise, but I find it fascinating.

I need to avoid that place... it will cause me to rage...

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I need to avoid that place... it will cause me to rage...

giphy.webp

Reactions: Lotusflower

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Nope. Forever banned from posting any informative information in that thread because I will just delete it and post it again myself.

Plus who wants to WIN money on Saturdays? All the cool kids LOSE money on Saturdays.
Are you double screening yet? This would either turn your gambling fortunes around... or make them worse...

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Nope. Forever banned from posting any informative information in that thread because I will just delete it and post it again myself.

Plus who wants to WIN money on Saturdays? All the cool kids LOSE money on Saturdays.

It takes just as much skill and luck to lose every bet as it does to win them all. I see that you're Galaxy Braining me hard here and know when I am bested.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Always bet against the teams you want to win. That way if they lose you at least make some money, and if they win it's as if you paid for it to happen.

1l8thn.jpg

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
On Friday, as I was yanking a chain downwards in an attempt to open up a garage door, my finger caught in the chain, and as i tried to unleash it, i subsequently lost my grip, and my finger then, too, got caught in the gears above.

Luckily, I was able to get it out quite easily and saw a few dents in my finger. Those few dents suddenly began to ooze blood (causing my friend to spend the entire night dry-heaving, haha).

Two deep cuts, one severed tendon, and a doctor telling me i was close to losing the entire finger, I feel EXTREMELY lucky.

But i have to admit, the entire time I was thinking about texting my mom "If your eldest son was born with ten fingers, and lost one today, how many fingers does he have left." And then i remembered my mom was terrible at math.

The good news is, i don't have any shows until February 21st, so i have time to recover all the way.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
On Friday, as I was yanking a chain downwards in an attempt to open up a garage door, my finger caught in the chain, and as i tried to unleash it, i subsequently lost my grip, and my finger then, too, got caught in the gears above.

Luckily, I was able to get it out quite easily and saw a few dents in my finger. Those few dents suddenly began to ooze blood (causing my friend to spend the entire night dry-heaving, haha).

Two deep cuts, one severed tendon, and a doctor telling me i was close to losing the entire finger, I feel EXTREMELY lucky.

But i have to admit, the entire time I was thinking about texting my mom "If your eldest son was born with ten fingers, and lost one today, how many fingers does he have left." And then i remembered my mom was terrible at math.

The good news is, i don't have any shows until February 21st, so i have time to recover all the way.
2019 seems to have been quite the year for you. :laugh:

Glad you're okay!

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have a ton of travel coming up. Anyone read anything they would recommend recently?

How much Tom Robbins have you read? I'd super enthusiastically recommend him if you somehow overlooked him. "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" is my favorite, but you can't go wrong, really.
"Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha" is in my top 5 all time.
"The God of Small Things" - Booker Award Winner from 1996.
"Love Warps the Mind a Little" - John Dufresne (if you can find it)
"Wartime" - Paul Fussell - nonfiction masterpiece about WW2

None of those are new, though. I'll keep thinking.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
How much Tom Robbins have you read? I'd super enthusiastically recommend him if you somehow overlooked him. "Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates" is my favorite, but you can't go wrong, really.

Just Jitterbug Perfume actually, which I did enjoy. I grabbed Fierce Invalids, so thank you.

"Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha" is in my top 5 all time.
"Love Warps the Mind a Little" - John Dufresne (if you can find it)
"Wartime" - Paul Fussell - nonfiction masterpiece about WW2

None of those are new, though. I'll keep thinking.

And all of these as well. Thank you for the help as always!

*Edit* Snagged the other suggestions too. I have a full 10 days off for the first time in a long while. Thanks, guys!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

drcrusher

Jul 12, 2006
"All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr was the other one I was trying to remember.

I think this book has ruined me for novels about WWII. I just read We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter and felt it was very meh ..... not bad, but not great. I now want all WWII novels to be as emotionally gripping as Doerr's book. Do you have other recommendations?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I think this book has ruined me for novels about WWII. I just read We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter and felt it was very meh ..... not bad, but not great. I now want all WWII novels to be as emotionally gripping as Doerr's book. Do you have other recommendations?

The ones I told Jojo about are the ones at the tip of my mind. I have read so many books in the last 18 months that I kind of have gotten them all bunched together and not many of them really stand out. One reason for that is that I have been doing this thing - instead of just going out and buying a ton of books, which I can't afford to be doing at the moment, I have picked up a ton of paperbacks from thrift shops and I have been churning through them, and it has been nice, but they haven't really been things that I would necessarily recommend to other people. For example, I read "Chesapeake" and "Hawaii" by James Michener, an author I never thought I would bother with, and I really liked both of them ... but I just have no idea how other people would feel about them. Two WW2 novels I read - "Time and Tide" and "Once an Eagle" - I really liked, but I don't know how much of that was just me being in the mood to read them - both were pretty straightforward, normal war fiction and I felt that they aged pretty well, but who knows.

One romantic WW2 book I can highly recommend is "December 6" by Martin Cruz Smith. It's like "Casablanca" set in Tokyo and it's really good. It's more of a crime novel than mainstream fiction IIRC, but I LOVE "Casablanca," so it really spoke to me.

The other one, of course, is "The English Patient," which is more or less greater than anything ever ... but it's also quite a challenging read. Possibly the greatest book-to-film adaptation ever and both book and film are romantic masterpieces.

Freestyling thoughts: "Catch-22" is the greatest WW2 novel, of course. "The Naked and the Dead" by Norman Mailer is an excellent read. "Slaughterhouse 5" is very affecting, very clever, very funny - Vonnegut is one of my top 3-5 favorite authors - but "Cat's Cradle" is even better. "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien, about Vietnam, is epic. The Regeneration trilogy by Pat Barker is amazeballs, but a little bit slow. The Barrytown trilogy by Roddy Doyle (starting with "The Commitments") is hilarious.

OH! I know - "A Very Long Engagement," WW1 love story (made into a good film, too) - really good stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad