Post-Game Talk: #70 | Golden Knights at FLYERS | Mon., Mar. 12, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
That's a lot of words and opinions from someone who can't decide if Hak is a good coach or not.

Its obvious his main interest is not to discuss the team, but being right so he has a “high” platform to preach from. It’s easy to spout off theories and throw out hockey cliches and generalities....but when challenged point blank on a specific topic....the cowardice takes over.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The other problem with this team is they're just not good shooters.
They must miss the net more than any other team in the league (at least it seems that way).
Some of this is lack of talent, some of this is player psychology.

Notice on the PP the Knights crowded Giroux but left Voracek wide open - because they know Voracek will hesitate to shoot, allowing them to get over to his side and take away shooting and passing lanes. They really need to replace Voracek on the PP1 with someone who can and will shoot.

If I could get the right deal, I'd trade Voracek for a young RW who can sharp shoot, maybe a year from now when Frost arrives and show he can carry the puck into the O-zone, because that's Voracek's main strength, carrying the puck in and holding it long enough to create an offensive opportunity - but it's obvious he's never going to develop the consistent shot. But with Lindblom and Patrick, you want someone on the RW who can plant the puck in the net. So either trade Voracek or move him to the 3rd line (or back to the 1st line if Giroux is willing to commit to shooting more and passing less).

This team grinds hard, but the top two lines pass too much and waste opportunities trying to be too cute (TK, just shot the puck, you're not Giroux).
The bottom six lack anyone who's a reliable ES scorer, Laughton could be if he had a linemate who could feed him the puck.

we really lack guys who know how to get themselees open for a shot. It was refreshing to watch Winnipeg to see how laine would always be in position to receive a pass and shoot. That is a skill in of itself and its a hard one to teach , i think its just a natural thing that one must have. Brayden Schenn had it a bit, Hartnell had it. I don't thinnk anyone on this roster really has that ability.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Sorry to revisit this, but ...

PEB winning a board battle against Simmonds, but just watch Filppula on this. Zero effort. Just pathetic.

Bad effort by everyone. What was Simmonds doing there? he just let his man free. They had to win that board battle and get it out. But is is ANOTHER player left all alone in a dangerous area with the game on the line.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I think most fans realize how epic a collapse it would take for the Flyers to miss the playoffs. They are up 6 pts with 12 games to go. I think only 5 teams have made the playoffs in the last decade down 4 pts in November just to give you an idea how hard it is to make up ground with the loser point. Not only do the Flyers have to continue to lose, that have to continue to lose in regulation.
I'm not sure you can look at their schedule and think they'll win games? They've lost to everybody coming up and they can't score right now.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Bad effort by everyone. What was Simmonds doing there? he just let his man free. They had to win that board battle and get it out. But is is ANOTHER player left all alone in a dangerous area with the game on the line.
That Flip line is downright awful. Simmonds can't carry a line, he needs to be carried. Raffl just goes up and down as the season goes, and Flip is one of the worst forwards in the NHL.

Yet again, Hakstol has hitched his wagon to a forward who doesn't deserve to be playing in the NHL and once again, this team starts struggling.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The other problem with this team is they're just not good shooters.
They must miss the net more than any other team in the league (at least it seems that way).
Some of this is lack of talent, some of this is player psychology.

Notice on the PP the Knights crowded Giroux but left Voracek wide open - because they know Voracek will hesitate to shoot, allowing them to get over to his side and take away shooting and passing lanes. They really need to replace Voracek on the PP1 with someone who can and will shoot.

If I could get the right deal, I'd trade Voracek for a young RW who can sharp shoot, maybe a year from now when Frost arrives and show he can carry the puck into the O-zone, because that's Voracek's main strength, carrying the puck in and holding it long enough to create an offensive opportunity - but it's obvious he's never going to develop the consistent shot. But with Lindblom and Patrick, you want someone on the RW who can plant the puck in the net. So either trade Voracek or move him to the 3rd line (or back to the 1st line if Giroux is willing to commit to shooting more and passing less).

This team grinds hard, but the top two lines pass too much and waste opportunities trying to be too cute (TK, just shot the puck, you're not Giroux).
The bottom six lack anyone who's a reliable ES scorer, Laughton could be if he had a linemate who could feed him the puck.

They certainly overpass at times, that's for sure.

And teams have been overplaying toward Giroux and Ghost and giving Voracek extra space for years now. It's why last season I wanted Voracek off PP1. I'm not sure he deserves that this season, but they're going to have to come up with some kind of an adjustment.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
That Flip line is downright awful. Simmonds can't carry a line, he needs to be carried. Raffl just goes up and down as the season goes, and Flip is one of the worst forwards in the NHL.

Yet again, Hakstol has hitched his wagon to a forward who doesn't deserve to be playing in the NHL and once again, this team starts struggling.

I get the logic of putting Simmonds on that line. I thought Hakstol might take Lindblom off the top 6 and force Simmonds in there.
Other than scratching him and putting in a even worse player I dont know what else that could be done. I get it, the line sucks. But I think I can give Hakstol a pass on putting that line together.
I dont even know if switching Laughton with Flip with those 2 wingers would work. Simmonds is still struggling coming off the IR list and Raffl as you said is up and down.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not hagg. Here is 21 and showering signs of scouting afew with taking the body properly.
Easily better than Hagg.

Better hitter, better defense, better puck moving, better literally everything.

Hagg may be 21, but he hasn't improved in nearly 3 years.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
we really lack guys who know how to get themselees open for a shot. It was refreshing to watch Winnipeg to see how laine would always be in position to receive a pass and shoot. That is a skill in of itself and its a hard one to teach , i think its just a natural thing that one must have. Brayden Schenn had it a bit, Hartnell had it. I don't thinnk anyone on this roster really has that ability.
Patrick has it

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Better than MacDonald, Hagg, and Manning. Easily.
I'm a longtime huge Gudas fan, but he's certainly not the same player as in years' past.

I can't tell if he's been completely neutered by the league and team, or has been dealing with an injury all season. I tend to think the latter, as didn't he miss some preseason games with an injury or two?

Either way, he looks off to me, and the coach has been protecting his usage more than in the past.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Morin in for gudas.

What? Morin in for bum ass Manning or Andrew “thinks he’s Provorov” Macdonald.

Myers in for the other. Keep Gudas and throw Hagg in the press box as the 7 like they had no problem doing with sanheim and Morin

Give Amac to LHV, waive garbage ass Manning and watch no team claim him

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm a longtime huge Gudas fan, but he's certainly not the same player as in years' past.

I can't tell if he's been completely neutered by the league and team, or has been dealing with an injury all season. I tend to think the latter, as didn't he miss some preseason games with an injury or two?

Either way, he looks off to me, and the coach has been protecting his usage more than in the past.
He was good when with Sanheim and bad with Manning.

Usage and teammates make a massive difference. If a player doesn't change, but their situation does, it can seriously improve or ruin a players impact.

Look at Konecny or Ghost or Gudas. The first two suddenly started being used properly and look amazing, Gudas started being used poorly and looks worse. Not a coincidence.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad