Confirmed with Link: 7 Years x 5.5M$ Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
People really want to get all nitpicky when it comes to acquiring a real mean power forward, something this team hasn't had in decades. Cry me a river.
Being mad at Bergevin about giving up a 3rd is nitpicky.

Having doubts about the price and contract is not.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
This is a vintage Bergevin move. He might even end up being right, but he's playing the wrong side of the line. If he's wrong, he paid through to nose to be wrong.

So this team obviously needs size that can score up front. What were the alternatives? Looks like he just went out and acquired the only legit power forward in his mid 20s that was available.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So this team obviously needs size that can score up front. What were the alternatives? Looks like he just went out and acquired the only legit power forward in his mid 20s that was available.

Trade Domi for futures, use the savings to sign Taylor Hall.

Maybe trade Tatar for futures and use some of those savings to acquire Killorn.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Anderson will be a second liner, and an effective one.

We have Paul Byron making 3.4M playing on the 4TH LINE.....

Finally we have a big winger with skill who isn't afraid to take on the biggest guys in the league, and we're complaining about locking him in long term (at 26)???
For context, compare him to Tom Wilson. Anderson produces more points than Tom Wilson (0.36ppg vs. JA at 0.43), Wilson plays on the top line and makes 5.1M. Wilson has the physical edge, but Anderson has more skill.

I don't care what the main board says - this is a decent signing and long term we'll be happy with it.

Reactions: salbutera

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For the naysayers, this is called taking a risk. In order to win, you must be the top team out of 32. You must take risks to achieve that. This is true for everything in life. To reach the top requires risk.

This deep truth is captured by the saying: "No guts no glory"

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Trade Domi for futures, use the savings to sign Taylor Hall.

Maybe trade Tatar for futures and use some of those savings to acquire Killorn.

This board is legit crazy. I have watched 2 decades of the Habs fielding full Smurf lineups, playing Mathieu Darche and Travis Moen in our top 6 because we don't have any size. And now we get a guy that can pot 25 goals a year while being an actual power forward and people would rather us have gotten some picks and prospects??

I'm at a loss for words

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Domi was such a strange player. Has a feisty boiling temper that gets pissed off and sometime want to fight but he plays soft as butter. Like zero physicality, no hits, nothing. Sometime his fire helped push his skills like when he took that puck from AO and scored. But that was all too rare.

Yep,

I can't believe how vanilla he was in the playoffs.
4th line or not, did not impact the game at all.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This board is legit crazy. I have watched 2 decades of the Habs fielding full Smurf lineups, playing Mathieu Darche and Travis Moen in our top 6. And now we get a guy that can pot 25 goals a year while being an actual power forward and people would rather us have gotten some picks and prospects??

I'm at a loss for words

How confident are you that he can pot 25 goals a year? He's done it once before. Just once. And if he pots that once or twice over the contract, is that a good deal?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Josh Anderson played a really hard game.

How is he going to play now that he doesn't have a contract to play for and he's secured financially for life? We shall see

How Weber and Price did when they secured financially for life? That’s right, not worried one bit. Anderson has the same fire.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
This board is legit crazy. I have watched 2 decades of the Habs fielding full Smurf lineups, playing Mathieu Darche and Travis Moen in our top 6 because we don't have any size. And now we get a guy that can pot 25 goals a year while being an actual power forward and people would rather us have gotten some picks and prospects??

I'm at a loss for words

I like Anderson..most here do....

But to prove a point....call up every NHL GM today and say Josh Anderson we're shopping him....How many GM's are interested in him at 5.5 x 7yrs?

That's what most are talking about......It's not about the players game.....yes we need more jam upfront no question

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
For the naysayers, this is called taking a risk. In order to win, you must be the top team out of 32. You must take risks to achieve that. This is true for everything in life. To reach the top requires risk.

It's not a well calculated risk that's for sure. Nothing, I mean NOTHING suggested Josh Anderson, coming off of a shoulder surgery and a 4 point season should be getting a 7 year contract that takes him to age 33, where power forwards like him tend to be well past their prime anyway. I don't mind the cap hit if he manages to bounce back but the term is completely unnecessary.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014

But to prove a point....call up every NHL GM today and say Josh Anderson we're shopping him....How many GM's are interested in him at 5.5 x 7yrs?

That's what most are talking about

Not the players game.....

Not that we should trade him, but I'd bet that after year 2 or 3, there would be a lineup of GMs wanting Anderson. Not to mention it's been widely reported that a lot of teams wanted him (and likely understood his potential contract).

Imagine Boston got this guy? We'd be losing our s**t

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
It's not a well calculated risk that's for sure. Nothing, I mean NOTHING suggested Josh Anderson, coming off of a shoulder surgery and a 4 point season should be getting a 7 year contract that takes him to age 33, where power forwards like him tend to be well past their prime anyway. I don't mind the cap hit if he manages to bounce back but the term is completely unnecessary.

There is no other powerforward available. You grab what you can and let's gamble! Anderson is now signed for the remaining of Price's and Weber's relevant career. That means either he performs or he does not, and if he does he increases our chance at the cup significantly inside this window. If he doesn't, so be it, we lost.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
How confident are you that he can pot 25 goals a year? He's done it once before. Just once. And if he pots that once or twice over the contract, is that a good deal?

Man this is real life, there are no sure things. You want to talk about the likelihood of Anderson to keep producing but you would rather trade our assets for more magic beans that have even less likelihood of making it. You understand how rare it is to find a forward that's 6'3 that can skate,fight and score?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
How Weber and Price did when they secured financially for life? That’s right, not worried one bit. Anderson has the same fire.

There are some players that ch as nge and some that don't. But playing as a power forward is very different than playing D or goalie. There's a reason dmen can play 25 minutes a night and forwards can barely play 20 - it's exhausting chasing the play all night.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

That's what most are talking about......It's not about the players game.....yes we need more jam upfront no question

Umm what? There was a bidding war for him and you know all the GMs that were after him knew what his contract demands were right?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Being mad at Bergevin about giving up a 3rd is nitpicky.

Having doubts about the price and contract is not.

Yeah 3rd pick I could care less about. If the decision was made you want Anderson over Domi - and all it takes is a 3rd pick bc other side is being stubborn - to me a 3rd pick is worthless. I rather the trade be done then not because "well a 3rd pick is too much".

That being said - I'm still not at all convinced Anderson over Domi is the right move. Truth be told I don't know much about Anderson. Even in his year where he scored close to 30 goals he only had like 47 points total...

I'm hoping he can hit another stride with the Habs...

I'm all for taking risks - I just feel extremely unsure about this player. Size is great, power forward/scoring goals is too - but he had 4 points last season. And even in the year with 27 goals he didn't surpass 50 points (which he never has).

I hope Habs end up right in believeing in this guy - and if he does pan out this could be great value for us long-term. But if he fizzles out - it's a pretty bad contract.

I'll take a wait and see approach. If it was up to me - I'd rather we take risks on much higher tiered talent, such as going all-in to go after someone like Laine.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018

Look at the years subsequent, he was progressing just fine.
He scored 27 goals with Boone Jenner as his centre.

Yes, there is risk...everyone is aware of it. We've been crying on this board for over a decade for someone like him, and in terms of what we need he checks a lot of boxes.

"Can't see the forest for the trees" can't be understated with a lots of posts on this thread.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Note also, that if this contract "bites us in the ass" in 3-6 years, that will coincide with Price's and Weber's decline and eventual retirement, meaning that we will most likely have to rebuild anyway. This is a gamble to win a Stanley Cup during Price's and Weber's remaining window. I expect more gamble like this.

Bergevin saw Suzuki and Kotkaniemi perform and he thought we had a chance, and he's right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad