Confirmed with Link: 7 Years x 5.5M$ Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
This has to be the stupidest thing I have read all year.

Stunning argument, but somehow bolding a part of a post and calling it that without bothering to do anything to not make it insulting still is lesser nonsense than what Bergevin is doing.

I'm also operating under the assumption that you just woke up for the first time if that was indeed the stupidest thing you have read all year, because boy you have some catching up to do.

Reactions: DAChampion

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Signing Domi to a 2 year deal was the safe thing to do. It's what I would have liked if he stayed here too.
Short term deal, prove yourself more, then we'll pay

More likely someone else will pay, cause he'll be UFA. Columbus will have a tough decision to make at the '22 trade deadline. Should they trade Domi, or hold on to him and hope they can sign him?

Last edited:

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Well I think for one thing, the team is gonna play hard this year. With Danault, Tatar, Gallagher all UFAs and now Anderson who is a heart and soul guy, we will be hard to play against.

I think Bergevin told himself that if he had Josh Anderson instead of Max Domi, Habs would've beaten the Flyers.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The Josh Anderson-Max Domi file is like buying a rolex 2nd hand. You better hope that everything is on the up and up, because you did not get a deal on it.

Reactions: Archijerej

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Well I think for one thing, the team is gonna play hard this year. With Danault, Tatar, Gallagher all UFAs and now Anderson who is a heart and soul guy, we will be hard to play against.

I think Bergevin told himself that if he had Josh Anderson instead of Max Domi, Habs would've beaten the Flyers.

Josh Anderson played a really hard game.

How is he going to play now that he doesn't have a contract to play for and he's secured financially for life? We shall see

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

How would he know? Josh hasn't played since December. Also hasn't scored since last October.

Reactions: Miller Time

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
One of my first bosses ever told me when he hired me if I don’t f*** up I’m not trying but to make sure I wasn’t just a f*** up.

Anderson’s arm might fall off first game but we have tried to get this type of guy for 20 years. It’s a ballsy move that picks a direction, we want to be a contender.

Not a big fan of the draft and moving picks to a weak draft next year but so far MB has addressed 3 of our 5 biggest holes this off season with size/scoring RW, 3rd pairing LHD to upgrade over Omelet, and an above average backup target. He’s signed Petry to a great deal. I still want a Top 6 LW and a PMD on my Xmas list to Santa. Make it happen and I’ll be happy.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Is this a joke? He is 26 and what prime? He has one good, not great, good season. It's a terrible contact unless he suddenly turns into a 40 goal guy on a regular basis.

Can you tell me what 40 goalscorer in this league makes 5.5M per year?

he went from 1.85M per to 5.5M, while being injured most of the year. I think his agent may win agent of the year.

I'm usually defending Bergevin and I thought acquiring Anderson was a good move. Risky in terms of price, but a good move in terms of roster-building.

But this contract is f***ing insane.

Come on, man. Seven frigging years with no apparent discount on money for a physical forward with two shoulder injuries? If he was 23, sure, but this is bonkers.

He’s had one good season man. He’s a .37 PPG player man

Well the Jackets GM didn't do it...because that would have been risky.
This move is pointlessly risky imo.

And it wasn't really all that great of a season.

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best, just don't understand why would we take such a risk?

I love that we acquired Anderson. It's a gamble considering the price, but I would always give away Domi for a 2018-2019 Anderson.

The contract is a step too far though, given the injury history, age and the player's track record. It reeks of Bergevin being pressured into a deal by a threat that his expensive acquisition will leave in a year as a UFA.

Makes you wonder what he'd be asking for if he didn't have a shit season last year.

It's steep. I'm sure he'll bounce back some extent but his career high would justify this contract and its called a career high for a reason. I wish he had another year of that type of performance before he got a contract like this.

Exactly. I don’t get it either.

They paid for his potential not for what he has already done, clearly gambling on him getting even better in the years to come.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Signing Domi to a 2 year deal was the safe thing to do. It's what I would have liked if he stayed here too.
Short term deal, prove yourself more, then we'll pay.
Then we’ll pay,......you mean then we’ll have to trade you as you are now asking for way too much.....picks and prospects.....we now become the Senators

Safer has led us to not much.....posters want swing for the fences, well here you go, it’s boom or bust time....the next 4yrs will be the great revealer, not spring loaded to bitch posters.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
And where the hell would you of played him?

There simply was no more room for domi anymore,it was fun, but he was done here, clearly

Subpar season, even more atrocious playoffs

Dans le fond,he ended up what we feared at the beginning, Too.small.

Quite happy to have replaced his no wing ability terrible effort for a much bigger guy, equally as fast

If domi WOWed on the power play I may of questioned this some but he was TERRRRRRRRRIBLE, I could not get over it, what can he even bring our team anymore, nobody has been able to come up with a solid answer

we have two super skilled centres who make 1.8m$ combined and Danault who is much better defensively and good at taking draws, plus a local kid which is always a nice thing.

centre positions are all taken up Max....but we have a spot for you at wing.......No says Domi...

301684723227201.gif

Well....sorry mister Domi, but we’ll trade you for a very rare 6’3/225lb PF thank you very much.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
we have two super skilled centres who make 1.8m$ combined and Danault who is much better defensively and good at taking draws, plus a local kid which is always a nice thing.

centre positions are all taken up Max....but we have a spot for you at wing.......No says Domi...

301684723227201.gif

Well....sorry mister Domi, but we’ll trade you [the more productive player, and a 3rd] for a very rare 6’3/225lb PF [who might have a bum shoulder and hasn't scored in a year] thank you very much.

Jus' sayin', homie.

Reactions: jaffy27

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
The problem with this trade and signing is that it's extremely risky.

If we get a 2018-2019 Anderson for five years and then we can move his contract, I won't shed a tear for Domi. But what are the odds?

Also, how will this contract affect the negotiations with Gallagher and Danault?

Reactions: NotProkofievian

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
So if he scores 25 per year will you all still HATE MB, how about 30 per year is that the limit to your hate, or EVEN IF HE SCORES 100 per you still HATE MB.
5.5 x 7 too much? It will take YEARS too see if that is all true just like Domi, sure 5.3 but for only 2 years what if he scores 25-30 as a center all that means is he will demand 7-7.5 per on his next contract for his LONG TERM contract. OH yea also lets see how Domi and Torts get along, WOW fire meets water? NO, FIRE MEETS FIRE is more like it, both cant control their anger.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

If we get a 2018-2019 Anderson for five years and then we can move his contract, I won't shed a tear for Domi. But what are the odds?

Also, how will this contract affect the negotiations with Gallagher and Danault?

This is a vintage Bergevin move. He might even end up being right, but he's playing the wrong side of the line. If he's wrong, he paid through to nose to be wrong.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

They took a gamble and bet on Anderson delivering, aren't people complaining around here all the time that Bergevin always makes safe insignificant trades/moves? Well, you've been served.

Why would this contract have an impact on the negotiations with Gallagher and Danault?

Different types of players, different situations...

Danault will compare himself to other centers around the league and Gally will compare himself to other scorers.

What Anderson brings is something a handful of players in the entire league can bring, his salary comes from those standards, Wilson, Tuch, Tkachuk, Kane...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
So if he scores 25 per year will you all still HATE MB, how about 30 per year is that the limit to your hate, or EVEN IF HE SCORES 100 per you still HATE MB.
5.5 x 7 too much? It will take YEARS too see if that is all true just like Domi, sure 5.3 but for only 2 years what if he scores 25-30 as a center all that means is he will demand 7-7.5 per on his next contract for his LONG TERM contract. OH yea also lets see how Domi and Torts get along, WOW fire meets water? NO, FIRE MEETS FIRE is more like it, both cant control their anger.

The merit of this contract is independent of the merit of the trade.

To answer your question, if Anderson scores 175 goals (25 per year) over the duration of the contract, it will be worth it. However, that doesn't seem very likely. Further, the cap is about to freeze for three years, and will almost certainly decline after that. So the odds of Anderson ending up overpaid are high.

This would be a lot more palatable if Anderson were getting something maybe ~1 million less.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I just saw his 18-19 highlights and it’s like looking at Lehkonen’s 16-17 highlights. Half of his goals were empty nets or total flukes and goalie mistakes. You just know it's never going to happen again. Not enough pure talent and skill. 7x 5.5M :laugh:

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
The contract isn't buyout proof like the Alzner one.

If we need to buyout the contract after year 5 (shouldn't decline before 31 and if he's got injuries he'll be on LTIR) :

Capt hit would be : 1,916 m (2025-26), 3,416 (2026-27) and 1,416 for the last two years. 2,833 in cap savings.

Like the player, understand the gamble but would have prefer 4 x 4,5 avv or 6 x 5 avv.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

We’re about to be in cap hell with a team that can’t even make the playoffs. Bergevin has a few seasons left before he’s tossed aside, what does he care other then trying to save face.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
And where the hell would you of played him?

There simply was no more room for domi anymore,it was fun, but he was done here, clearly

Subpar season, even more atrocious playoffs

Dans le fond,he ended up what we feared at the beginning, Too.small.

Quite happy to have replaced his no wing ability terrible effort for a much bigger guy, equally as fast

If domi WOWed on the power play I may of questioned this some but he was TERRRRRRRRRIBLE, I could not get over it, what can he even bring our team anymore, nobody has been able to come up with a solid answer

Domi was such a strange player. Has a feisty boiling temper that gets pissed off and sometime want to fight but he plays soft as butter. Like zero physicality, no hits, nothing. Sometime his fire helped push his skills like when he took that puck from AO and scored. But that was all too rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia