Confirmed with Link: 7 Years x 5.5M$ Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
It's not a well calculated risk that's for sure. Nothing, I mean NOTHING suggested Josh Anderson, coming off of a shoulder surgery and a 4 point season should be getting a 7 year contract that takes him to age 33, where power forwards like him tend to be well past their prime anyway. I don't mind the cap hit if he manages to bounce back but the term is completely unnecessary.

The contract will bring him to 32 years old. He just turned 26 in May.

He'll be 33 in that contract only if he makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his last contract year.

We'll have him for 4 years in his 20's.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It's not a well calculated risk that's for sure. Nothing, I mean NOTHING suggested Josh Anderson, coming off of a shoulder surgery and a 4 point season should be getting a 7 year contract that takes him to age 33, where power forwards like him tend to be well past their prime anyway. I don't mind the cap hit if he manages to bounce back but the term is completely unnecessary.
If the Habs medical staff have assured hockey ops the shoulder will fully heal with little to no repercussions, probability highly supports Anderson returning to the form of his first 3-NHL seasons (16-19), with continued upward progression he showed in each season from 16-19.

The calculated risk being taken is all about Anderson being a 25G+ playing a power forward game - should risk hold true this is a very good deal moreso given the $750K - $1M topper players need to be paid in Mtl.

Last edited:

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
The contract will bring him to 32 years old. He just turned 26 in May.

He'll be 33 in that contract only if he makes it to the 2nd round of the playoffs in his last contract year.

We'll have him for 4 years in his 20's.
Including 6 UFA years. You have to decide whether you want to bridge him or give him a long term contract. They hedged that the bridge was more dangerous so they bought 6 UFA years of Anderson for the same cost as Domi’s RFA years. Big win IMO

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
There are some players that ch as nge and some that don't. But playing as a power forward is very different than playing D or goalie. There's a reason dmen can play 25 minutes a night and forwards can barely play 20 - it's exhausting chasing the play all night.

He ain’t no Lucic or Clarkson. Anderson has WHEELS.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
So this team obviously needs size that can score up front. What were the alternatives? Looks like he just went out and acquired the only legit power forward in his mid 20s that was available.

If everything goes well, you could argue that we're paying MSRP for Josh, and you need to give in order to get.

...but things don't always go well. There's no way you can argue that we got a good deal here. We paid, we assumed all the risk. If Josh doesn't work out, we're really exposed.

Trade Domi for futures, use the savings to sign Taylor Hall.

Maybe trade Tatar for futures and use some of those savings to acquire Killorn.

Exactly.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
Note also, that if this contract "bites us in the ass" in 3-6 years, that will coincide with Price's and Weber's decline and eventual retirement, meaning that we will most likely have to rebuild anyway. This is a gamble to win a Stanley Cup during Price's and Weber's remaining window. I expect more gamble like this.

Bergevin saw Suzuki and Kotkaniemi perform and he thought we had a chance, and he's right.

So our window is the next 3 years?

Geez I'm here thinking it will be a hard battle for the playoffs the next season.

So I guess swapping Domi for Anderson and bringing Edmunson has made us contender now.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
There is no other powerforward available. You grab what you can and let's gamble! Anderson is now signed for the remaining of Price's and Weber's relevant career. That means either he performs or he does not, and if he does he increases our chance at the cup significantly inside this window. If he doesn't, so be it, we lost.

He was RFA, it wasn't a case where we got to pay him bigger money than anyone else or he wouldn't be playing for us. I think he's going to be a good fit and we certainly needed a guy like him but if but one thing you need to understand is that in a cap world you don't wanna be stuck with a terrible contract for multiple years. There's a great chance this contract will end up like that if things don't work out perfectly with Anderson. Just take a look at Vancouver and their multitude of "oh well that didn't really work out did it" contracts. It's really messing up their rebuild right now.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
If everything goes well, you could argue that we're paying MSRP for Josh, and you need to give in order to get.

...but things don't always go well. There's no way you can argue that we got a good deal here. We paid, we assumed all the risk. If Josh doesn't work out, we're really exposed.

Exactly.

You don't not fill your biggest need because things might not go well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He was RFA, it wasn't a case where we got to pay him bigger money than anyone else or he wouldn't be playing for us. I think he's going to be a good fit and we certainly needed a guy like him but if but one thing you need to understand is that in a cap world you don't wanna be stuck with a terrible contract for multiple years. There's a great chance this contract will end up like that if things don't work out perfectly with Anderson. Just take a look at Vancouver and their multitude of "oh well that didn't really work out did it" contracts. It's really messing up their rebuild right now.

Then most likely he's trying to get a steal of a contract, and was willing to gamble for this. If it doesn't work out then so what? Our core is ageing, a huge rebuild is inevitable in about 6 years unless we acquire value in the meantime and exchange it on and off like a few perpetual contenders do.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
So our window is the next 3 years?

Geez I'm here thinking it will be a hard battle for the playoffs the next season.

So I guess swapping Domi for Anderson and bringing Edmunson has made us contender now.

I will say our window is the next 5 years.

It hasn't made us a contender yet but it has gotten us closer IF Anderson turns out to be real good, which is a possibility. The other question marks are the youngsters.

Reactions: jaffy27

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
He ain’t no Lucic or Clarkson. Anderson has WHEELS.

Yeah, I’ve wanted Anderson a long time and this was one of the reasons. Personally, I think 7 years is a couple too long, but if he can pot us 20 a year plus being a nuisance to opponents and making his whole line feel 6’2, that’d be great.

I know he isn’t an enforcer, but if he ends up being Suzuki’s RW, Nick has got to feel good about having a big guy watch his back.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah, I’ve wanted Anderson a long time and this was one of the reasons. Personally, I think 7 years is a couple too long, but if he can pot us 20 a year plus being a nuisance to opponents and making his whole line feel 6’2, that’d be great.

I know he isn’t an enforcer, but if he ends up being Suzuki’s RW, Nick has go o feel good about having a big guy watch his back.

He's fought Chara and Benn. He can go toe to toe with anyone.

Reactions: BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We have multiple gambles ongoing: Can Kotkaniemi and Suzuki build on their meteoric progress from last year? How good will Romanov be in the next 5 years? Will Anderson pan out? Can Price maintain his elite goaltending?

All those could conceivably happen and bring us a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: jaffy27

Chris Guthro

Oct 7, 2018
if he comes in and scores 20-30 goals and is leading forwards in hits. this is an absolute bargain! I can not wait to see him flying up the wing with one of the young centres and getting the dirty goals and making room for them

Reactions: salbutera

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Also I'm STILL traumatized about the humiliation we suffered against Boston in the Komisarek era. I remember a multiple fights scene with almost every one of our players getting beat up by Boston players; Chara, Lucic , Thornton, Boychuk, etc. f*** this shit.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We have multiple gambles ongoing: Can Kotkaniemi and Suzuki build on their meteoric progress from last year? How good will Romanov be in the next 5 years? Will Anderson pan out? Can Price maintain his elite goaltending?

All those could conceivably happen and bring us a Stanley Cup.
This goes on with every team too, but just in Montreal it’s a SIN

Reactions: BenchBrawl

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Note also, that if this contract "bites us in the ass" in 3-6 years, that will coincide with Price's and Weber's decline and eventual retirement, meaning that we will most likely have to rebuild anyway. This is a gamble to win a Stanley Cup during Price's and Weber's remaining window. I expect more gamble like this.

Bergevin saw Suzuki and Kotkaniemi perform and he thought we had a chance, and he's right.
Josh Anderson is a gamble we needed to take to win a Stanley Cup?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

Exactly.

Even if he pans out, with Weber, Petry and Price nearing the end at the same time, it's gonna be a full on rebuild in 3 years from now.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Reactions: Plekatorz

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
True.....but he quit on his team.....zero goals in the playoffs and almost a 30pt drop while being healthy....We have players to take his position, I’m good with moving on.

Overall I'm fine with us moving on from Domi. Life goes on. The sun will rise tomorrow (even here in Finland...well...at least where I am).

I just really Bergevin strikes gold twice on the Domi file. If Josh is a 25 goal scoring wrecking ball for us in 4 of the 7 years, everything will be just fine. I would have done things differently, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad