Post-Game Talk: #7 - Sharks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I think one of the defensemen might have to go during the season and Nash's time could be at the draft if the team doesn't make it to say the 3rd round again.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
To be fair, those Bruins teams were in quite a different situation when they traded Thornton. I doubt they would've traded him had they been to 3 conference finals in the previous 4 years.

Look, if the Rangers don't win it all or come very close this season, I'd be open to trading Nash. But Im also not jaded enough to believe that wouldn't signify an initial step back for a team thats already going to have a difficult time once Lundqvist's play begins to slip.

We are in a striking position, and near a declining face of the franchise, Lundqvist. [No he isn't declining, but some people think we have much more time than we actually do in terms of a window]. Moving Nash will require an adjustment to the team, and that won't change over night, so it's better to just cut the losses and move on.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
Did trading Thornton improve the Bruins? They missed the playoffs for 2 years, and I don't remember any players received from San Jose doing much for them?

Only notable one who ended up staying in that trade for Boston was Marco Sturm. He had four 20+ goal seasons. They drafted Lucic and Marchand in 06 and traded Brad Stuart in 2007 for Kobasew and Andrew Ference.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Only notable one who ended up staying in that trade for Boston was Marco Sturm. He had four 20+ goal seasons. They drafted Lucic and Marchand in 06 and traded Brad Stuart in 2007 for Kobasew and Andrew Ference.
Ah, lol, Chuck Kobastew...

giphy.gif

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
You can't just let us enjoy the win can you? :laugh:

I didn't say not to, I'm helping the analysis. Similar to our game vs the Caps last week before our roster got decimated, we faced them without Ovi and Backstrom, so my view was we had better paste them. And we did, but their being badly undermanned was a big part of that.

It's great to win in terms of building team chemistry and positivity, but I caution about reading too much into the competition itself as the Sharks are at a non-playoff level right now.

Did trading Thornton improve the Bruins? They missed the playoffs for 2 years, and I don't remember any players received from San Jose doing much for them?

Good call, many people wrongly say that trading thornton improved the bruins. Trading thornton turned them into cellar dwellers. From there they had multiple homerun picks and moves, and then they STILL needed a goaltending performance for the ages to win the Cup. 4 years later they are not a playoff team.

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I didn't say not to, I'm helping the analysis. Similar to our game vs the Caps last week before our roster got decimated, we faced them without Ovi and Backstrom, so my view was we had better paste them. And we did, but their being badly undermanned was a big part of that.

It's great to win in terms of building team chemistry and positivity, but I caution about reading too much into the competition itself as the Sharks are at a non-playoff level right now.

Good call, many people wrongly say that trading thornton improved the bruins. Trading thornton turned them into cellar dwellers. From there they had multiple homerun picks and moves, and then they STILL needed a goaltending performance for the ages to win the Cup. 4 years later they are not a playoff team.
Also a couple key players in Krejci and Bergeron were already drafted.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Also a couple key players in Krejci and Bergeron were already drafted.

true. in the end, thornton has played more playoff series since the trade than the bruins, even though they have been to the finals twice. big difference is defense and especially goaltending.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I think one of the defensemen might have to go during the season and Nash's time could be at the draft if the team doesn't make it to say the 3rd round again.

TDL going to be great this year. So much potential. Maybe even prior. If they dump one of Staal/Girardi, and waive or trade Glass, success.

Also, this schedule is brutal.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Why did we trade Duclair for Yandle again?

Because we were trying to win a cup. If half our defense wasn't crippled we make it back to the SCF and I guarantee nobody asks this question.

But actually, I'm happy we have Yandle regardless. The Rangers have more than enough good wingers, and our best prospect is another winger. You know what we don't have? Defensemen that can skate and make a good outlet pass. If we're going to be keeping guys like Staal and Girardi on this team, we need a guy like Yandle who can do all the things they don't.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Because we were trying to win a cup. If half our defense wasn't crippled we make it back to the SCF and I guarantee nobody asks this question.

But actually, I'm happy we have Yandle regardless. The Rangers have more than enough good wingers, and our best prospect is another winger. You know what we don't have? Defensemen that can skate and make a good outlet pass. If we're going to be keeping guys like Staal and Girardi on this team, we need a guy like Yandle who can do all the things they don't.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yandle was/is a bigger need for this team than Duclair. I wish we could have held onto the duke and would have given up any other prospect in the system over him but that deal wasn't getting done with out him.

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
Players like Duclair are a dime a dozen. I love the Duke, and think he has a good future ahead of him, but there are dozens of players who do what he does, and do it better.

Yandle is a rare kind of player, an elite puck moving offensive defensemen capable of putting up 50-60 points a season. Name me five other defensemen who can do that.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Players like Duclair are a dime a dozen. I love the Duke, and think he has a good future ahead of him, but there are dozens of players who do what he does, and do it better.

Yandle is a rare kind of player, an elite puck moving offensive defensemen capable of putting up 50-60 points a season. Name me five other defensemen who can do that.

I would pick a 50-point D-man over a 30-goal scorer any day because if this exact reason.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I would pick a 50-point D-man over a 30-goal scorer any day because if this exact reason.

Why would you definitely do this? 30 goal snipers are not a dime a dozen in 2015. Moreover, Yandle is a power play quarterback. I'm not saying that this isn't important, but he's far less of a monster at even strength particularly on the South side. A power play quarterback doesn't need to be a defenseman. A sniper, and a few good dishers can inflate point totals. Furthermore, the Power Play did not become the machine it was supposed to be when he arrived, and it still isn't. I'm not even saying that it's his fault, but you said that you would make that trade any day in a vacuum.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
TDL going to be great this year. So much potential. Maybe even prior. If they dump one of Staal/Girardi, and waive or trade Glass, success.

Also, this schedule is brutal.

What else is new? It seems we say this every year.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Just from last season..Karlsson, Subban, Brent Burns, Dennis Wideman, Roman Josi, John Carlson, Letang, Barrie, Mark Streit, Andrei Markov. That's 10 others, with guys like Faulk and Giordano within 2 points of hitting 50 and another handful (Pietrangelo, Doughty, Keith, Kronwall) sitting around 45 points. Yandle put up 52 between ARI/NYR (41/11 respectively), tied for 9th among defensemen for points. In 2013-14 Yandle was 7th behind some usual suspects (Karlsson, Byfuglien, Hedman, Keith, Weber, Subban).

I'd still take what Yandle is right now/has been through his career at the loss of what Duclair may potentially become if he's lucky. Not to mention there's a chance we could re-sign him slightly cheaper than market value since he wants to be here/play for a contender, he's a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad