Post-Game Talk: #7 - Sharks @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Klein looks like a different player this year, it's pretty incredible. Last year he was shooting well but he was never playing like this IMO.

Agreed, he looks very good. Maybe he started hearing McIlrath footsteps and it motivated him to be even better this season.

Nash also looked amazing tonight.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
enhanced-buzz-26781-1398177437-5.jpg

Lmao the bread picture

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Connor McBlockIt...hed probably run McDavid out of town like Marian Gaborik

Disagree.. They got all the talent in the world and they don't know how to play defense. He'd teach them that as well as light a fire under their ass.

It won't be a long term solution but he'd do wonders for them. Like he did with the Rangers.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Agreed, he looks very good. Maybe he started hearing McIlrath footsteps and it motivated him to be even better this season.

Nash also looked amazing tonight.

Yeah, he deserved two goals tonight. :nod:
I`m not too eager to trade him to be honest.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Raanta had a good game, glad he got the shutout.

Honestly, everyone played well tonight there were very few mistakes all game. All 6 defensemen looked good, all 4 lines were rolling. I liked what I saw.

Not sure what that 3rd line was doing but definitely not rolling. They were putrid.

They'll be fine.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Really didn't think Staal played well... Got out-raced on numerous backcheck occassions, took a bad penalty to make the 5 v 3 (which his team had to bail him out on), wasn't really making too many solid plays with the puck...

This isn't to say he was bad--he was worlds better than Girardi

I'll put the rest of this in the roster building thread

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers were good. Sharks didn't bring much to the table. Good set up for the shutout.

4 years ago, the Rangers turned around their season with a 5-2 win at home against the Sharks early in the year.

I was thinking about that and last year the Rangers were really not doing much and had a good game against the Sharks that they also won 4-0. I wouldn't say though that that game was the turning point, but it showed what the team is capable of.

CDiablo

Jul 18, 2012
I feel the team played a lot better on average when Cam was in net last year. In that tradition they play their best game this year in front of Raanta. I feel bad for Hank.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
I feel the team played a lot better on average when Cam was in net last year. In that tradition they play their best game this year in front of Raanta. I feel bad for Hank.

That's pretty concerning that the Rangers don't try most of the time then.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sharks were missing two huge pieces in Martin and Couture

Do take note of this. Without them the Sharks are a lesser team than the one that missed the playoffs last season. On paper at least.

We are actually missing the top line LW from last season as well, and the guy who replaced him at the start of this season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's pretty concerning that the Rangers don't try most of the time then.

It's not about not trying. The Rangers may try to "keep teams to the outside" against Hank which long-term doesn't work.

I wouldn't jump to conclusions yet. It's seven games, maybe this just happened to be one we played the best. But it's something to keep an eye on.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Girardi simply cannot stay on this team.
Girardi's NMC says hello :)

He signed his new 6 year contract in 2014 (so just before the start of last season ?), and has a full NMC in the first 3 years, and a modified NMC in his final 3 years. So if my math is solid (it rarely is), he should have a full NMC this season and next, then a modified one the following 3 years.

So he cannot be traded unless he agrees to move.

Edit : The same goes for Staal btw, he has a full NMC through the 2017 season, and a modified one the following 3 years. Basically the same contract as Girardi, just signed a year later (early this year).

Last edited:

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Great effort here guys . And yeah , strong Nordic influence in this game. Even Victor Stålhberg scored for Rangers, according a Norwegian reporter:handclap:

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
To play Devil's Advocate with that Yandle-Girardi pairing, their CF-CA in that first period was 2-10 (Yandle) and 3-9 (G).

They finished the game 13-21 (Yandle) and 10-19 (G). They were much better in the second and third period. Our worst defenseman last night was Dan Boyle who made a bunch of bad reads in the defensive zone and missed his coverage around the net a bunch of times because he was out of position. Hell, even he still finished 19-12 overall in CF-CA, albeit he literally had 100% offensive-zone starts.

Our defense was fantastic from 11 minutes into the first until the rest of the game.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Really didn't think Staal played well... Got out-raced on numerous backcheck occassions, took a bad penalty to make the 5 v 3 (which his team had to bail him out on), wasn't really making too many solid plays with the puck...

This isn't to say he was bad--he was worlds better than Girardi

I'll put the rest of this in the roster building thread

IMO if anyone took a bad penalty it was Dan Boyle. Apart from that I had no real problems with anything any of the D did last night.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Klein had an excellent season last year--at least until Ovie broke his arm. When he finally came back in the playoffs he just wasn't the same--obvious in retrospect he wasn't fully recovered---and then this preseason when he was struggling we were hearing he sucks at this and he sucks at that. And now he's the greatest thing ever. Klein is a very good d-man. He's looked good with McDonagh. Like most players he has his limitations.

As far as last season with all the goals and the points the discussion was whether it was an outlier of a season for him and this is the year we find out if he can match or better last season.

Anyway again Klein's chances of being a Ranger in 16-17 IMO greatly depend on what happens with Yandle. This doesn't mean anyone hates either player--it's a realistic assessment of the Rangers and their ongoing cap issues. Somethings going to have to give and either way I don't think Boyle's coming back either--at least not at $4.5 mil a year.

And then there's McIlrath and Skjei and you want both of them playing as much as possible at whatever level they're at. It's an eternal cycle of players replacing other players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia