Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Zegras played most of the year on the Wing this year and big parts of Cozens game seem better suited to playing on the Wing

they very well might end up being Centers in the NHL but i'd say it's far from a guarantee,maybe Yzerman felt similarly?
And how is 6 points in 29 games in Germany more conducive to a confident decision than 50-60 games of PPG+ play in the WHL or USNDP?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Bob’s list is a great general consensus for where team’s have someone on a broad scale.

But all it takes is 1 team to like that player between where you are and where you want to move back for to soil those plans.

I’m going to choose to believe our new GM did his due diligence and picked Seider at #6 because that’s where we would needed to be to get him. If you want to believe otherwise, you can do that.

So early in the draft too, it’s not like we passed on the other players because we were afraid of missing Seider. I’d bet money that Seider is slotted safe and sound at #6 on the list. What are they supposed to do if they can’t get a valuable trade to move back? Not pick their #6 player?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So early in the draft too, it’s not like we passed on the other players because we were afraid of missing Seider. I’d bet money that Seider is slotted safe and sound at #6 on the list. What are they supposed to do if they can’t get a valuable trade to move back? Not pick their #6 player?

Right... so at this point, we just see if they were right on that or not.

Reactions: Winger98

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
“In my eyes, he is the best German defenceman to come along in ages,” Thomas Roost said, a Swiss-based scout with the NHL’s European Scouting Services.“He already plays like a veteran most of the time. He plays a mature game. He carries a very strong stick and wins a lot of battles in the corners, in the slot area and along the walls because of his strong body and especially because of his strong arms. I really like his mobility and his high-percentage plays. What is also an exceptional asset are his successful zone exits. He moves the puck very well or skates with the puck and his zone exits are successful with a higher-percentage than the average (defenceman).”

Is it a good pick if he has a career like Krupp (ignoring dogsled racing misadventures)? Krupp never was a 1 or 2 Dman but was a solid contributor for several seasons. Id say we could do a lot worse than that. When people talk about busts they usually are talking about guys who get less than 100 NHL games and are out of the league within 2-3 years.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
A Toronto based writer for the Athletic has a nice article on Seider. Not very stat based, mostly about him being captain of the World Juniors team and the fact he's been playing against grown men. His family picked up and moved when he was 13 to give him the best opportunity to develop his hockey skills. I honestly have no idea what to expect from him but our defense is obviously turrible so hopefully Seider can become a key contributor. Corey Pronman doesn't think he has first power play potential so that's a bit of a bummer with a 6OA pick but who knows, Pronman may not have scouted him as heavily given he's a German prospect.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I know nothing about this kid but like that I've read a few places how he proved himself playing against men.

And that some rate his greatest assets to be his hockey sense and gap control.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I wanted a d or c. I know Jack shit about this young man. But we got one of two positions we needed, and I hope the puck pans out.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
A Toronto based writer for the Athletic has a nice article on Seider. Not very stat based, mostly about him being captain of the World Juniors team and the fact he's been playing against grown men. His family picked up and moved when he was 13 to give him the best opportunity to develop his hockey skills. I honestly have no idea what to expect from him but our defense is obviously turrible so hopefully Seider can become a key contributor. Corey Pronman doesn't think he has first power play potential so that's a bit of a bummer with a 6OA pick but who knows, Pronman may not have scouted him as heavily given he's a German prospect.

Good thing we have Hronek looking promising as a PP candidate.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Here's Pronman's take on the pick:
In Seider, the Wings get a player who a lot of teams were interested in and speculated may go in this range but weren’t 100 percent sure if would happen. NHL sources describe him as a bit of a mystery because of how little he played for his club team, but he impressed NHL folks a lot in international play, such as at the U20 B pool and the World Championship. It’s an aggresive play for me, especially since there are some questions on the offensive upside, but I know a lot of teams who were big believers in Seider. This will be one of the most fascinating picks of the past decade and one of the gutsiest. GM Steve Yzerman is known for making gutsy picks, selecting the injured Brett Connolly at sixth-overall, the tempermental Tony DeAngelo in the top 20 and goalie in Russia in Andrei Vasilevskiy in the first round.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Going into the draft i said i would be fine with this pick, and after digesting it i'm still fine with it. It's not the guy i would've picked, but he's a massive defender with good skating and a right handed shot, he's very good defensively and has some un-tapped offensive upside imo.

One thing is for sure though, this guy doesn't have that high of a ceiling, but hopefully he'll be able to hold down the right side on the second pairing, play big minutes and kill penalties for the wings for a long time.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Corey Pronman doesn't think he has first power play potential so that's a bit of a bummer with a 6OA pick but who knows, Pronman may not have scouted him as heavily given he's a German prospect.
I don't think you draft him to run your PP. You draft him because you think you might get a first pairing shutdown guy who can put up some points also.

And Hronek, Cholo, and potentially Kaski and McIsaac can give you a PP presence. McIsaac-Seider could be a really good shutdown pair.

Reactions: golffuul

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
from the Sporting news

6. Detroit Red Wings - Moritz Seider, RHD, Adler Mannheim (DEL)
If you watched the IIHF men's world championships, then you saw what the hype was about. This kid can skate, deliver the puck accurately and also play a physical, smothering brand of defense. His team in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga won the postseason crown, and Seider was a key contributor during their playoff run. He's ready for the NHL as we speak.

NHL Draft tracker 2019: Live results, grades, analysis for every pick in Round 1

Reactions: golffuul

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Anybody actually know anything about this kid rather than blindly bashing or praising?

Interested in him being 6' 4" and praised for his defensive ability. Usually the big guys suck on big ice. For defenders, it usually gets easier the smaller the ice gets.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
After reading & hearing everything so far... I'm getting really excited about the kid.

Can't remember the last time we had this potentially legit Defensive prospect... Going to be fascinating to see where he plays next season.

Reactions: Lil Bert

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Right... so at this point, we just see if they were right on that or not.
My point is that Detroit can't afford to not be right on 6 overall. This was the pick to land a great player, and Seider is talked about with top 4 upside, not with high-end dominance.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
from the Sporting news

6. Detroit Red Wings - Moritz Seider, RHD, Adler Mannheim (DEL)
If you watched the IIHF men's world championships, then you saw what the hype was about. This kid can skate, deliver the puck accurately and also play a physical, smothering brand of defense. His team in the Deutsche Eishockey Liga won the postseason crown, and Seider was a key contributor during their playoff run. He's ready for the NHL as we speak.

NHL Draft tracker 2019: Live results, grades, analysis for every pick in Round 1

If you consider that he, as an 18 year old, played in a pairing with Dennis Seidenberg at the World Champs and was by no means the weaker link in that pairing...and then consider that Seidenberg's played nearly 900 games in the NHL and won a Cup...there's an argument here that a lot of this mid 1st round projections were made before then and never properly updated taking the World Champs into account.

Reactions: waltdetroit

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I hope Seider will join Cholowski in GR next year. Yzerman got simply second best defenseman. I expect now speedy forwards on the second round.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My point is that Detroit can't afford to not be right on 6 overall. This was the pick to land a great player, and Seider is talked about with top 4 upside, not with high-end dominance.

Who really saw him enough to say, though?

This is kind of a rare situation. He didn’t participate in any of the major tournaments for prospects and played in a league scouting services don’t spent a lot of time on.

I mean, I disliked the Rasmussen pick but I had seen him quite a bit. With this one... I really just don’t know enough to kill it.

So I’m going to try and give Stevie and the guys who drafted Hronek (who I like a ton) the benefit of the doubt. That’s just what I’m choosing to do, but we will see. Stevie never really hit on a defenseman with TB, so I guess that would be my 1 trepidation here.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hope Seider will join Cholowski in GR next year. Yzerman got simply second best defenseman. I expect now speedy forwards on the second round.

I think he’s in GR automatically. He’s already played against men in Germany. His logical step is learning North American rinks as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad