Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
If you consider that he, as an 18 year old, played in a pairing with Dennis Seidenberg at the World Champs and was by no means the weaker link in that pairing...and then consider that Seidenberg's played nearly 900 games in the NHL and won a Cup...there's an argument here that a lot of this mid 1st round projections were made before then and never properly updated taking the World Champs into account.

Hate to be that guy, but he played with Yannick Seidenberg, who never played in the NHL.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
After seeing Dach, Byram, and Turcotte go off the board, I knew our pick was wide open. I'd been pumping the tires on Broberg, but this guy is really no crazier of a pick. Can't slam it. Just hope for the best with it.

To me it makes more sense than Broberg because Seider seems like a guy who at a minimum should hold his own in the defensive zone with his IQ and physical stature, all the while he won’t sacrifice the skating and offensive potential that makes Broberg an intriguing prospect.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To me it makes more sense than Broberg because Seider seems like a guy who at a minimum should hold his own in the defensive zone with his IQ and physical stature, all the while he won’t sacrifice the skating and offensive potential that makes Broberg an intriguing prospect.

Yeah, I see less threat of straight up busting with Seider, but I think Broberg has some physical tools that are just more intriguing. Might be less likely to make use of them all, though, too. I'm really curious who Holland would have went with if Seider had still been on the board when they picked.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, I see less threat of straight up busting with Seider, but I think Broberg has some physical tools that are just more intriguing. Might be less likely to make use of them all, though, too. I'm really curious who Holland would have went with if Seider had still been on the board when they picked.

Agreed. Broberg might never put into together, but Seider looks like he will absolutely be a valuable player. The extent of which determines how this pick looks a few years from now.

We know the defense sucks. He should have a chance to claim a role early.

Reactions: Winger98

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Anybody actually know anything about this kid rather than blindly bashing or praising?

Interested in him being 6' 4" and praised for his defensive ability. Usually the big guys suck on big ice. For defenders, it usually gets easier the smaller the ice gets.
He's a high character kid who has been a captain for his national team and is mature. Great size, solid athleticism and skating, has a plus hockey IQ. Seems likely at this point to be a good defensive defenseman. Not much out there right now to suggest he could be a PP contributor but it also sounds like he didn't get much PP time so there could be some untapped development and potential there.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

My guess Holland was taking Seider. This was projected to be a center draft and look how many dmen went early. Last draft I thought Dodson, Bouchard, McIssac were all going sooner.

Reactions: Winger98

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003

When watching Seider I was often wondering what his physical play could be on smaller ice. The body is there. And one of the things about Seider I liked the most was that every hit on him ended up by the hitting player on his butt and Seider skating on like it was a fly. He needs to learn hitting NA style, but he's a good learner and the tools are there. I'm really curious about this aspect of his game.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Don't really know enough about the kid, I just didn't see this pick coming and seems like a bit of a reach at 6. Kinda reminds me of the collective "who?" that went around the NHL when Dylan McIlrath was taken at #10.

But I like what I am hearing. D is a strong position of need for us and it sounds like this guys development curve has really ramped up that he already has the tools to look like a great defensive D with potential on the offensive side too. If he pans out it will be nice but if someone like Cozens really takes off that was a clearer number 6 it will be tough to swallow for sure. If anything this pick stirred up some excitement. I am ready to see what this kid can do and you gotta give it 3-4 years before we know so get comfortable its going to be a while. Welcome to the wings kid

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
He's a high character kid who has been a captain for his national team and is mature. Great size, solid athleticism and skating, has a plus hockey IQ. Seems likely at this point to be a good defensive defenseman. Not much out there right now to suggest he could be a PP contributor but it also sounds like he didn't get much PP time so there could be some untapped development and potential there.
Well, Soderstrom kind of has the opposite to work on; he needs to work on his defense. As for Broberg, he tended to be ranked after Seider I think. So, if you are looking for a defensive defender, Seider was at the top of the list of those available to Detroit at 6th pick. The one guy I wonder about is York, but it's hard to tell. York was surrounded by a lot of great teammates. Seider played for Germany which didn't have a lot of popular prospects.

Reactions: Run the Jewels

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I can also picture Seider in GR next season. He supposedly has the mobility for the bigger ice and he's definitely got the size for a more physical game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Just as an FYI it looks like Owen Sound owns his OHL rights. I think he can stay on Germany or play in the OHL or AHL given he's an international player. Of course he could make the Red Wings as well.

After reading a bit I feel confident he'll be a solid defensive dman. He played a bit on the first pairing during the playoffs in Germany so he's definitely responsible. Captained the German team when he was the youngest player on the team.

He can pass and skate the puck out of his own zone. Hopefully we got lucky by getting a really good player from an under scouted country. Germany is definitely not up there with Sweden, Finland and Russia.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Well, Soderstrom kind of has the opposite to work on; he needs to work on his defense. As for Broberg, he tended to be ranked after Seider I think. So, if you are looking for a defensive defender, Seider was at the top of the list of those available to Detroit at 6th pick. The one guy I wonder about is York, but it's hard to tell. York was surrounded by a lot of great teammates. Seider played for Germany which didn't have a lot of popular prospects.
I would have loved to make a trade to get another pick around the middle of the first to try to draft York. I think he's going to be a really good NHL'er.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Here's my wish list for our 2nd round tomorrow
Anyone of:
Mastrosimone
Dorofeyev
Lavoie
Hoglander
M. Robertson
Puistola

Reactions: golffuul