Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
round1valuepickchart.png

article_7c9a6d2d-e075-40b3-948b-58089791f225.png
Going by this Seider should be pretty good!

Reactions: Pavels Dog

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
The panel acting all gobsmacked and then saying he could have been drafted FOUR spots later - talk about fake drama. They reacted as though Seider was 20th ranked or something. 3-4 spots is eye of the beholder level of agree to disagree differences.

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Filip Zadina, Cody Glass, Matthew Tkachuk, Pavel Zacha, Jake Virtanen, Sean Monahan... Why are we making it sound like we passed on Erik Karlsson at 6OA?

On a side note, what's the point of having a GM or scouting department if we're just going to go with the TSN list at the end of the day. All of you got giddy when Stevie took over but freak out the second he makes a move that's different than your NHL 19 simulator.

This pick is getting laughed at by everyone right now.....

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
And they took a chance on someone they clearly believe has top talent potential.

Your opinion holds no water. The consensus opinion holds no water. The only people who matter are the guys at the draft table and sat in the war room.
And when those people clearly go against conventional wisdom, taking a guy several picks ahead of where he's ranked, they'd damn well better be right, and will look extra foolish if they're wrong.

You can argue that each of the kids who went 7-12 would have been better choices.

THIS was why I wanted a top 5 pick - it tends to make things more of a no-brainer, and this year is a great example: five really really well regarded prospects...and then the Rasmussen of defense (a guy taken early, with a skill set that doesn't necessarily justify the draft slot).

Reactions: avssuc

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Since you’ve watched him all season vs my two games. How would you rate him to Parayko at the same age? Or who would be better comp?

Problem here is that I wasn't able to watch Parayko in his draft year.

The general problem is that the DEL has never had a kid like Seider. Germany never had a skilled D like Seider before. Not with this combination of skill, IQ and character. So he pretty much wowed everyone pretty quick. He started as a depth D in Mannheim, took it step by step, was injured, came back stronger and some say he was the key D in the playoffs when his team won the championship. He then went on to lead Germany to a great WC. He was the best german D on the team. That was easy to see. His development this season was insane. Never seen that in Germany before. So before the season a 2nd line D projection was accurate. But I think he has a much bigger upside. But I have to judge him of his play alone, not by comparison. So that makes it a bit tricky. It was a surprise pick, but I'm really positive about it.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

As Pavel's Dog suggested, do those numbers reflect draft position or pre-draft consensus rankings? I suspect it's the former in which case it's a moot point.

While I wouldn't entirely discount pre-draft rankings, at the end of the day those pundits have no skin in the game. The Red Wings staff who had to make the pick do. Teams make the wrong pick all the time, but they still would do that even if they 100% followed pre-draft rankings. Those have historically been quite wrong as well.

It's always a crapshoot. I'm not sure why I would necessarily trust people working in the media over people in the organization either. I will certainly criticize the team if I feel I am in a position to do so, but I wouldn't bet my house on which D-man drafted in this 1st round will be the best NHL player. I haven't scouted them at all nor do I believe am I qualified to scout hockey prospects. Maybe you feel differently..

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I had to leave the house immediately after the pick but now that I'm settled in and have a beer in my hand, I can say I like the pick.

After the three I wanted were gone I'm okay with taking the guy you like. Unfortunately he's in a league that's hard to follow or get a read on, but he played against men and he performed well against same aged players.

I actually made a joke to my buddies in a group chat yesterday that read as follows:
The draft goes Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte, Dach, Cozens

Stevie Y can get his boy, the boy they hoped would fall. He sprints up to the stage, teabags Bettman, grabs the mic: with the 6th pick in the 2019 draft the Red Wings select from mother f***in Germany MO SEIDER
*Rick flair woo*

So I was pretty close...

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
And when those people clearly go against conventional wisdom, taking a guy several picks ahead of where he's ranked, they'd damn well better be right, and will look extra foolish if they're wrong.

You can argue that each of the kids who went 7-12 would have been better choices.

THIS was why I wanted a top 5 pick.

Okay, and who in 7-12 would you say has a higher potential impact than the absolute ceiling of Seider?

Let’s be consistent. We want elite talent, that’s why you wanted top 5. Seider embodies a home run swing. If he’s wrong, that’s his bed that he’s made. But we need to find that elite talent somewhere. You missed out on top 5 and now you want to cut Yzerman’s balls off and play it safer?

I wouldn’t have picked Seider, but if we consider the reasoning, can we fault the pick?

Reactions: waltdetroit

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
So my research tells me Seider could play in GR next season. I’m wondering if we try to get him into the CHL first and then move him to GR in 2021.

Reactions: Noofgoof

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Okay, and who in 7-12 would you say has a higher potential impact than the absolute ceiling of Seider?

He won't have a good answer for you because he doesn't actually know. All he knows the pick was a few spots higher than many had him pegged, thus it's a bad pick.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Honestly I’m not as unhappy about this pick as I was initially, especially given the run on D, but I think it points to the fact Yzerman likely doesn’t think much about the young d men in the system.

Christien

May 1, 2010
So my research tells me Seider could play in GR next season. I’m wondering if we try to get him into the CHL first and then move him to GR in 2021.
Yup the next big question is where will he play next year

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Honestly I’m not as unhappy about this pick as I was initially, especially given the run on D, but I think it points to the fact Yzerman likely doesn’t think much about the young d men in the system.

I still don’t know if he’s aware of Cholowski’s existence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->