Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Okay, and who in 7-12 would you say has a higher potential impact than the absolute ceiling of Seider?

Let’s be consistent. We want elite talent, that’s why you wanted top 5. Seider embodies a home run swing. If he’s wrong, that’s his bed that he’s made. But we need to find that elite talent somewhere. You missed out on top 5 and now you want to cut Yzerman’s balls off and play it safer?

I wouldn’t have picked Seider, but if we consider the reasoning, can we fault the pick?
I didn't want safer. I wanted a team needing a center to take a really good center in a draft whose strength was at center. Gimme either Zegras or Cozens over Seider any day of the week.

You want a home run swing? Go Caufield. THAT'S a ceiling. Or Krebs, gambling that the injury has no longer lasting impact. Or Broberg.

I said this morning that the last thing I wanted was Yzerman having "smartest man in the room" syndrome. But here it is, in spades.

Reactions: The Red Line

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Let’s all root for this kid. Don’t think ANY of us have seen him play enough to kill this.

I’m in NYC for the weekend so I’m gonna keep the good vibes going.
I can hope the kid succeeds, and still think it's stupid to take #16 at #6 instead of trading down.

Reactions: marcmadsen

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Let's see, 6'4", smooth-skating, high-IQ and a quick learner. I like this pick a lot, and I would say he has more upside than some of the more-skilled, more-accomplished prospects because of his hockey intelligence.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The one thing Yzerman was criticized for as a GM was whiffing on first round picks. And they went off board. Some doubt is more than fair.

Sounds like they went off your board. What were you saying about "smartest guy in the room"?

Also, if they could've traded down, they would've. It seems like a lot of the d-men went earlier than expected.

Reactions: IcedJuicebox

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I can hope the kid succeeds, and still think it's stupid to take #16 at #6 instead of trading down.

Buddy, the rankings you are looking at don’t mean shit.

Barrett’s Hayton was ranked 11-20 and was picked #5. And you know what? If Arizona didn’t take him at #5, Chicago was fully prepared to take him at #6. But you would never know that based on the info we have to go off of.

These GM’s have a good idea where guys are going to go.

Reactions: Bench and Ricelund

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
Welcome aboard Moritz! I'm not gonna lie, I was a bit shocked, to the point where I literally felt like what I was hearing was correct. Stevie took his shot and it will come with criticism and I know he knows it. But look, as long as Seider helps us win by becoming a big presence in our back end, then that's all that matters. I feel like I or we don't need him to be a huge offensive D-man (as you would expect from a 6th pick) as we have Hronek and Cholowski who can maybe play that part. Who knows, the presence of Seider may help facilitate that in Hronek and Cholo. So in that perspective I can be fine with the pick.

taliababa

Jun 4, 2009
I was prepared to hate this pick, but considering I'm in the minority in believing that Cholowski won't amount to anything, this seems like a solid choice. Clearly the scouts and Stevie feel that Seider has lots of potential in addition to the abilities he's shown thus far. Big kid, who can skate and defend at 18 sounds promising.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I have watched roughly 25-30 games of Seider this past season (DEL, WJC Div 1a and WHC) and with very few exceptions I thought after every game that this was the best game I have ever seen him play. He improved so dramatically over the course of the season it was ridiculous. And even in the years , his development was unusually fast and pretty much linear. Going from one of the smaller clubs in Germany (Erfurt) to the best junior program in Mannheim and immediately surpassing any other defensive prospect even those 2 years older than him.
When he got his first taste of pro hockey (4 games in the DEL) at age 16 thought this season he would spend some time in junior and some time in the DEL, but then he just took off and earned his permanent spot on the DEL squad. But even after he took his game to a new level in the playoffs (especially in the finals) I thought that the World Championships would be too soon (too big) for him, but he exceeded expectations yet again and for me he was not just the best defenseman for the German team, but the best (most consistent) player on the team.
Will this continue in the NHL? Who knows. Despite being a huge fan of Seider's I think at #6 he is a bit of a reach, but not too bad. And I really don't know what people (scouts) who think he has a limited upside (lower ceiling) have been watching.

GreytWun

Sep 29, 2017
Ontario
I didn't want safer. I wanted a team needing a center to take a really good center in a draft whose strength was at center. Gimme either Zegras or Cozens over Seider any day of the week.

You want a home run swing? Go Caufield. THAT'S a ceiling. Or Krebs, gambling that the injury has no longer lasting impact. Or Broberg.

I said this morning that the last thing I wanted was Yzerman having "smartest man in the room" syndrome. But here it is, in spades.

Seems like your the one with the having "smartest man in the room" syndrome. You know nothing more than any other fan on a forum.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Buddy, the rankings you are looking at don’t mean ****.
Normally I value your take more than most, so no offense.

But you're also the same person who repeatedly said they value McKenzie's rankings because they're based on NHL scouts. And Bob had Seider at 16.

So which is it?

Reactions: RedWingzz

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

But you're also the same person who repeatedly said they value McKenzie's rankings because they're based on NHL scouts. And Bob had Seider at 16.

So which is it?

Both can be true. Because Bob has been wrong plenty. He'd be the first to admit that.

Richard Gibson

Dec 5, 2018
“In my eyes, he is the best German defenceman to come along in ages,” Thomas Roost said, a Swiss-based scout with the NHL’s European Scouting Services.“He already plays like a veteran most of the time. He plays a mature game. He carries a very strong stick and wins a lot of battles in the corners, in the slot area and along the walls because of his strong body and especially because of his strong arms. I really like his mobility and his high-percentage plays. What is also an exceptional asset are his successful zone exits. He moves the puck very well or skates with the puck and his zone exits are successful with a higher-percentage than the average (defenceman).”

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010

Zegras played most of the year on the Wing this year and big parts of Cozens game seem better suited to playing on the Wing

they very well might end up being Centers in the NHL but i'd say it's far from a guarantee,maybe Yzerman felt similarly?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

So which is it?

Bob’s list is a great general consensus for where team’s have someone on a broad scale.

But all it takes is 1 team to like that player between where you are and where you want to move back for to soil those plans.

I’m going to choose to believe our new GM did his due diligence and picked Seider at #6 because that’s where we needed to be to get him. If you want to believe otherwise, you can do that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
so what's the expected development timing for this guy? where's he expected to play next year? moving overseas to Grand Rapids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad