Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Same! That was fun to read through.

I think we should make our official Step Bros rankings ahead of this draft and see how we do.

Lord knows Askarov will be high on that ranking.

source.gif

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

source.gif

Damn right!

Reading through the draft thread last year, I was comfortable taking Knight after the top 5 went. I'm obviously thrilled a gem like Seider was available and our team knew better. Seider fell through our internet scouting due to complete lack of exposure.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

source.gif

Damn right!

Reading through the draft thread last year, I was comfortable taking Knight after the top 5 went. I'm obviously thrilled a gem like Seider was available and our team knew better. Not sure I can be too hard on us, Seider had almost no tape available for us internet scouts to pour over.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Seider was viewed as a top 20 pick everywhere.

Why do you always have to be so contrarian? Seider was a surprise pick. Is that even a debate? Well, for you it is.

There's a huge gap in exposure between someone expected to go #20 and #6. Because Seider was getting bottom pairing minutes in a pro league, had minimal film available on the internet, and there was very little statistical data. He had a nice combine and Euro scouts thought he was a smart player. That's what we were working with.

The other guys in the top 20 we have hours of tape to pour over on Youtube and tons more write-ups from the big pro scouts and our own HFBoards die-hards who get to see them in their Canadian backyard.

So Seider was largely overlooked and considered a surprise within the top 10. The pre-draft rankings bear that out.

2019 NHL Draft Rankings

When you look at this rankings, he was a name floating around, but obviously an outside chance to go #6. So you take the pro rankings, you take the limited tape we have, you take his stats were non-factors... Yeah man, we didn't have good information on this kid to say "That's our #6 pick."

So he fell under the radar among amateur internet draft sleuths and was a surprising top 10 pick. That's why people keep saying it. Because it's true.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hockeyprospect.com had him at #5 I believe, but maybe I have something crossed off there. But I feel like they were very high on him and I usually do respect their work in terms of the black book.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure why people keep saying this. Seider was viewed as a top 20 pick everywhere.
Seider was in teens and everyone was saying that was steal. He deserved better than mid first . I wasn't upset with this pic , but with Tuomisto was.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Hockeyprospect.com had him at #5 I believe, but maybe I have something crossed off there. But I feel like they were very high on him and I usually do respect their work in terms of the black book.

All the rankings are linked in my previous post. Hockeyprospect had him at #10. He was only ranked in the top 10 by two publications, Hockeyprospect being one of them. Russ Cohen of Sportsology had him at #9, the highest of any ranking I can find.

HockeyProspect.com Final 2019 NHL Draft Top 31 Ranking | HockeyProspect.com

Notable that Scott Wheeler of the Athletic didn't have him in the 1st round at all. Pronman at 22. Button at 26. McKenzie a little more bullish at 16.

Reactions: jkutswings

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
All the rankings are linked in my previous post. Hockeyprospect had him at #10. He was only ranked in the top 10 by two publications, Hockeyprospect being one of them. Russ Cohen of Sportsology had him at #9, the highest of any ranking I can find.

Notable that Scott Wheeler of the Athletic didn't have him in the 1st round at all. Pronman at 22. Button at 26. McKenzie a little more bullish at 16.

Huh I thought someone had him at #5, maybe it was an individual scout on one of those.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

That's an indication of a problem with Wheeler, not Seider.

I'm not going to debate whether he should have been picked at #6, but he's easily a 1st rounder without a doubt, which means Wheeler is useless.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Guys are acting like Seider has proven himself a steal at 6. Far from it.
IMO, he's done nothing so far to make it look stupid.
But he also hasn't done much to make it look good.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nobody is crafting his HOF bust in Toronto yet. People are just encouraged by his progress to this point, and thinking it looks like a very good pick at a big position of need.

Reactions: Bench

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

People aren't acting like it's a steal. People are acting like we got a potentially top 5 caliber player at #6 overall; that alone makes it look good.

AttilaTheFun

Nov 18, 2018
I distinctly remember a not-well-known scouting service touting his prediction of Seider at #6 but Idk where it is now.

I'm pretty sure MBH posted the dude's twitter in one of the Seider threads.

That was North American Central Scouting Independent Bureau. They say that their business model is to sell their information to NHL teams rather than publishing it so they don't have much media presence.

Edit: They also had Byram at 3. For that group of three centers, they ranked them Cozens > Turcotte > Dach.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad