Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
First question: who is the best defensemen in the league not known for their offense? I was trying to think of guys who were good but not brilliant offensive players. Suter , Josi and Chara came to mind at first, but then I realized that even though I don't think of them as creative, flashy offensive players, they still put up a lot of points.

Second question: can you be a true number one defensemen without being a PP QB? Can you be a good number two defensemen without being a PP QB?
as a Jets/Wings fan, I'll throw Morrissey's name in there.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Heiskanen is a rookie too and he's already the best #4 to ever play in the NHL.
I assume this is sarcasm.

wings_3153322.jpg

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Filip Hronek just did that and will do it again this season and many more to come ;)

I -think- Hronek is going to end up as a very good first/second pair tweener, which is about where I think Seider will end up. But, he isn't there yet.

The Wings will need to crack the top-four in the draft to get a true top-pair prospect. Hopefully that happens next season.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Mo(ritz)-Town.

It's crazy to me to listen to that interview and then remember the kid is a young 18yo. Same with the Pistons pick of Sekou Doumbouya who has been playing professionally in France since he was 15yo and basically living on his own while doing so. I think we're too caught up in letting "boys be boys" and thinking they need to have their crazy teens or we're forcing them to miss out or something.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Via Khan

Moritz Seider, Albin Grewe among Red Wings prospects who impressed

Seider will train in his hometown of Mannheim, Germany, before returning for prospects tournament and training camp in Traverse City. The Red Wings will then decide where he should play in 2019-20.

“We have to figure out what’s best for myself,” Seider said. “Maybe it’s in the AHL with Grand Rapids but maybe also CHL (OHL Owen Sound owns his rights). But why stay in Mannheim? I think it’s one of the best organizations in Europe. We won a championship last season. We have to figure it out where I can get the most ice time.”

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Via Khan

Seider will train in his hometown of Mannheim, Germany, before returning for prospects tournament and training camp in Traverse City. The Red Wings will then decide where he should play in 2019-20.

“We have to figure out what’s best for myself,” Seider said. “Maybe it’s in the AHL with Grand Rapids but maybe also CHL (OHL Owen Sound owns his rights). But why stay in Mannheim? I think it’s one of the best organizations in Europe. We won a championship last season. We have to figure it out where I can get the most ice time.”

I think the OHL would be out of the question, either AHL or another year in Europe.

Reactions: golffuul
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think the OHL would be out of the question, either AHL or another year in Europe.
I wouldn't count the OHL out. They might want him to work on his offensive game, for which the Owen Sound is likely the best option. If he goes back to Mannheim or comes to GR, he's not going to be on the #1 PP.

And it's not like the DEL is very far from the OHL, in terms of quality of play. The OHL is the best CHL league by quite a lot, and the DEL is maybe the 4th best European pro league? 5th, I guess, because the Czech Extraliga is pretty good too. And then there's the Swiss NLA, so maybe the DEL is 6th. Point is, the gap there is smaller than it seems, especially when we're talking skill level.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotLeddy and NickH8

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wouldn't count the OHL out. They might want him to work on his offensive game, for which the Owen Sound is likely the best option. If he goes back to Mannheim or comes to GR, he's not going to be on the #1 PP.

And it's not like the DEL is very far from the OHL, in terms of quality of play. The OHL is the best CHL league by quite a lot, and the DEL is maybe the 4th best European pro league? 5th, I guess, because the Czech Extraliga is pretty good too. And then there's the Swiss NLA, so maybe the DEL is 6th. Point is, the gap there is smaller than it seems, especially when we're talking skill level.
Interesting points but who's 1 PP defenseman in GR assuming Hronek is with the Wings? Can't find PP stats for GR, and Hicketts is the only D with any points.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Interesting points but who's 1 PP defenseman in GR assuming Hronek is with the Wings? Can't find PP stats for GR, and Hicketts is the only D with any points.
Saarijarvi, if I had to guess. He's kinda gotten lost in the mix lately, but he's a very good PPQB at that level.

Edit: also apparently Charles-Eduard D'astous, although I've never seen him play. He's been one of the better offensive guys in the Q the last couple of years.

Last edited:

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

You severely underrate the DEL. I read a chat between Prasanth and a scout who rates the leagues relative to each other and the DEL was the 2nd best in Europe (not counting KHL) behind the SHL. There is a lot of talent in the German leagues plenty of former NHL players. The OHL would be a big step down in competition. The AHL is the next logical step.

Saarijarvi, if I had to guess. He's kinda gotten lost in the mix lately, but he's a very good PPQB at that level.

Edit: also apparently Charles-Eduard D'astous, although I've never seen him play. He's been one of the better offensive guys in the Q the last couple of years.
D’Astous is most likely ECHL bound at the start of the season. He won’t be a Day 1 PPQB in GR.

The Griffins have lots of openings for D on the PP right now. Lashoff and McIlrath are under contract but neither is exactly a PP threat. Cholowski and Hronek may be in Detroit. Saarijarvi struggled put up points last year so it’s still questionable if he’s a legit AHL PPQB. Hicketts is a LHD so won’t be taking a spot on the right side. It looks like the only real RHD guys who could slot into the top PP are Hronek (Who should be in Detroit) and Saarijarvi (Who May not be good enough). The RHD PP1 slot is wide open for the Griffins right now.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Via Khan

I think I read somewhere that he was only playing about 12 mins a game in Mannheim last season. Without some serious guarantees of more ice time, I highly doubt the wings send him back there.

OHL does seem like a pretty big step down but its also a guarantee of 30 mins a game against the best competition in junior and big offensive mins likely. But I'm not sure the guaranteed offensive minutes are worth cutting out playing against men for a season. Seems like in Grand Rapids he would get to play against men but get some offensive minutes as well. It might not be 30 mins a game butt hat sounds like the best balance. Then he can always be called back up to Detroit if needed/he earns it with his play

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think I read somewhere that he was only playing about 12 mins a game in Mannheim last season. Without some serious guarantees of more ice time, I highly doubt the wings send him back there.

OHL does seem like a pretty big step down but its also a guarantee of 30 mins a game against the best competition in junior and big offensive mins likely. But I'm not sure the guaranteed offensive minutes are worth cutting out playing against men for a season. Seems like in Grand Rapids he would get to play against men but get some offensive minutes as well. It might not be 30 mins a game butt hat sounds like the best balance. Then he can always be called back up to Detroit if needed/he earns it with his play
It's a really tough call. I think without a doubt the best thing for him right now is to continue playing against men, either in the AHL or DEL. Lowering his competition isn't going to prepare him for the NHL sooner... But I can see some logic that going to the OHL might actually make the most sense for his long-term development. Stepping down a league and focusing his development on being as offensive as possible without the responsibilities of a pro league might be Seider's path to his highest upside. I think it certainly sets his development back a year, but he might never have another opportunity to purely develop his offense. I'm not sure what I would do, but Seider has a lot of good options.

If Seider plays in the OHL this year he can still go to the AHL next year right? Or will he now have to age out of juniors like everyone else? (someone please destroy that agreement)

Reactions: Zetterbeer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad