Prospect Info: 6th Overall Pick Moritz Seider, Defence, DEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
First question: who is the best defensemen in the league not known for their offense? I was trying to think of guys who were good but not brilliant offensive players. Suter , Josi and Chara came to mind at first, but then I realized that even though I don't think of them as creative, flashy offensive players, they still put up a lot of points.

Second question: can you be a true number one defensemen without being a PP QB? Can you be a good number two defensemen without being a PP QB?

Vlasic is who came to mind immediately for me. Excellent defensively and has never put up 40 points.

Reactions: Oddbob

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Parayko, Slavin are good answers I hadn't really considered. I had thoughts about Muzzin but couldn't really remember his offensive game. I think there is certainly a class of high-end NHL defensemen with really plus puck skills. At the same time there is another class of really, really good defensemen (perhaps even better) who are offensively productive and super valuable in other respects.

Anyways, the Seider pick has me reconsidering how exactly defensemen contribute offensively during a game and what specifically allows them to do so. I think he will get his share of points 5 v 5 by being a good passer of the puck in transition and by simply getting shots through to the net (don't know if he excels at the later or not). How his skills translate to the PP seem to be the question for defining his offensive upside.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I've warmed up to the pick, though I still wish a better player was left on the board. But short of trading back, this was the best move.

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I just talked to a scout who is always in Europe (Czech Republik mostly but also scouts CHL, Scandanavia, and Germany) who said that Seider has the most raw skill of any defenseman in this class outside of Byram. Poised to be a FRANCHISE defenseman. This was a great pick in my eyes. The only thing wrong with him is that he didn't have enough exposure. Trying to get video of him is tough.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Some quotes from that audio:

“Steve, he doesn’t care,” Scotty Bowman told the Jamie and Stoney Show on 97.1 The Ticket. “What you have to do running a team is, sometimes you have to try to hit some home runs. And I think this guy could be a home run. I really do. I know from the talk about him that he was good the last part of last year.”

“I don’t know if he’s ready to come in right away, but he’s very close because he played against men. And I know that the Blackhawks had him rated really high. Everyone had him rated high. He was either going to be the second or third defenseman drafted,” said Bowman.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I just talked to a scout who is always in Europe (Czech Republik mostly but also scouts CHL, Scandanavia, and Germany) who said that Seider has the most raw skill of any defenseman in this class outside of Byram. Poised to be a FRANCHISE defenseman. This was a great pick in my eyes. The only thing wrong with him is that he didn't have enough exposure. Trying to get video of him is tough.
Hopefully he isn't Darko Milicic 2.0.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Some more from Scotty in that 97.1 interview (this part wasn't transcribed by Malik):

"To me it doesn't matter, the one that they drafted had a great tournament playing against men for Germany overseas. And he was on the radar. But he was on the radar last year. Big strong right defenseman ... Steve made a trade with Los Angeles about three years ago for a Slovak player named Eric Cernak. Big defenseman, right hand shot, really good. He's with Tampa now. They got him in a trade -- they traded Ben Bishop to Los Angeles. This player's very comparable to that player. I don't know if he's ready to come in right away but he's very close because he played against men."

Reactions: mantha39
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Honestly after watching more tape he has a lot to work on in terms of puck skills.

He seems to be thinking the right things all the time but mishandles the puck or is off with his passes.

His wrist shot seems incredibly heavy to me. Not sure if I've seen him take one slapper.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Look at it this way: If Seider can play 20+ high-quality minutes a night and score 20-30 points a season he will be the best defenseman the Wings have drafted in almost 20 years. Let that soak in.

I think Bowman's point re: Cernak is that Yzerman knows how to spot talent. LA thought Cernak was a bust and traded him, then he scores 18 points in 53 games as an NHL rookie. Yzerman has always had a knack for finding talent and for identifying good fits.

The emergence of Erik Cernak: So much for that hole on the blue line

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As an aside, it's really great to see how involved Scotty still is (even if it is for the icky Hawks). I know someone told me he was mostly an honorary figurehead with the Hawks, but seeing his comments on the draft board and him breaking down the Cernak trade, it's obvious he's keeping close tabs on league movement and is a strong voice in the room yet.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
As an aside, it's really great to see how involved Scotty still is (even if it is for the icky Hawks). I know someone told me he was mostly an honorary figurehead with the Hawks, but seeing his comments on the draft board and him breaking down the Cernak trade, it's obvious he's keeping close tabs on league movement and is a strong voice in the room yet.

I could see Scotty being the Oracle of the hockey world. He is just a wise old mythical figure who people bounce ideas off. He has probably memorized all 31 draft boards each year.

Reactions: Bench

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
First question: who is the best defensemen in the league not known for their offense? I was trying to think of guys who were good but not brilliant offensive players. Suter , Josi and Chara came to mind at first, but then I realized that even though I don't think of them as creative, flashy offensive players, they still put up a lot of points.

Second question: can you be a true number one defensemen without being a PP QB? Can you be a good number two defensemen without being a PP QB?

One of the best defensemen in the league not known for offense. (Also not known well by the public)

Erik Cernak TBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->