OT: 69th Obsequious Banter Thread: The Nicest Thread Of Them All...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
no one cried during memnto.

I did when I realized I was trapped in a theater with a terrible movie for 2 hours.

"The Man From Nowhere" - 2010 Korean gangster/revenge/rescue. It's like "The Professional," only a million times better. I am not joking. ****ing hell.

As the resident Asian expert, I have to ask you if it’s worth watching anything from Takashi Miike? The summary of my exposure has been exactly one preview I saw in a theater yesterday, so I have no knowledge base at all here.

I walked out of the movie with about 15 Minutes left, so I’m defaulting to everything related being crap, but I figured it was worth asking.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
As the resident Asian expert, I have to ask you if it’s worth watching anything from Takashi Miike? The summary of my exposure has been exactly one preview I saw in a theater yesterday, so I have no knowledge base at all here.

I walked out of the movie with about 15 Minutes left, so I’m defaulting to everything related being crap, but I figured it was worth asking.

The vast majority of his work that I have seen is completely gonzo - and I mean way, WAY out there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I don't mind it when it turns out to be complete crap. I can't for the life of me imagine you enjoying most of it at all. You might like "13 Assassins," but I kind of doubt it. My favorite of his is probably "Sukiyaki Western Django," but you would passionately hate that.

Sion Sono is a similar weird genius, but he is far more accessible far more often (i.e. maybe like 20-30% of the time). I may be the only person I know who loved "Love Exposure" - a four-hour film about an up-skirt camera freelancer and weird religion and an abandoned bus with candles, but I found it romantic and fantastic. I kind of want you to watch "Why Don't You Play in Hell" just to see how angry and exasperated you can get :laugh:

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The vast majority of his work that I have seen is completely gonzo - and I mean way, WAY out there. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I don't mind it when it turns out to be complete crap. I can't for the life of me imagine you enjoying most of it at all. You might like "13 Assassins," but I kind of doubt it. My favorite of his is probably "Sukiyaki Western Django," but you would passionately hate that.

Sion Sono is a similar weird genius, but he is far more accessible far more often (i.e. maybe like 20-30% of the time). I may be the only person I know who loved "Love Exposure" - a four-hour film about an up-skirt camera freelancer and weird religion and an abandoned bus with candles, but I found it romantic and fantastic. I kind of want you to watch "Why Don't You Play in Hell" just to see how angry and exasperated you can get :laugh:

Oh no, you’re completely wrong here. You’ve sold me entirely on trying all of it. I’d rather watch something that attempts to be different, even if it doesn’t come together.

I checked a snyopsis for “Why Don’t You Play in Hell” and saw this:

Despite the carnage, the most unfortunate fallout from this attack is when Muto's beloved daughter, Mitsuko, has her adorable toothpaste commercial taken off the air.

If I ever get old enough to not appreciate that, it’s time to go.

The people who love "Memento" are generally the same people who will tell you that "Fight Club" is one of their top 5-10 movies of all time.

I always knew I liked you.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad