GDT: #69: Bruins at FLYERS, Tuesday, Mar. 10, 2020, 7:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Even an 8 game losing streak probably wouldn‘t kick us out of the playoffs now.
I would be fine with a win some, lose some mixture over the next couple of games. Can‘t afford to lose the rhythm on one hand and at the same time it is important to stay away from injuries and exhaustion.

Yup,

I really want to have this edge , attitude eye of the tiger type mentality against

Bosdone, tampa, stl, edm.

We beat these teams, will be huge for us

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
at least he will back at some point next year. Our luck that the only 2nd overall pick that WE end up getting is patrick. We couldn't get eichel, laine, svechnikov, kakko (who i think will have a better career overall). Patrick still has what it takes to be a 2c but why do we have to get a headache thinking about when mr. headache will come back. such bs.

Kakko has been terrible. Shouldnt even be in the league right now.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
strawmen-800x520.jpg

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Kakko has been terrible. Shouldnt even be in the league right now.

well at least he IS in the league and can work on his game. I see the tools for him to be successful in this league. So early to judge right now in his career. Him and patrick are in the same boat basically when patrick comes back. Both trying to establish and get better. Ya patrick has two season but he hasn't improved much and took a huge step back this year.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's not a difficult case to make that Kakko is the least effective skilled player in the NHL. He's been that wretched. After all that talk of his size and dominant performance in a top men's league, Liiga. 13/21 of his points are on the PP; he has 7 5v5 points all season (0.56 points/60! -- 3 players have performed worse than that, and they're all on Detroit) with a -10% relxGF%, playing 14.5 minutes/game overall. It's not like the Rangers are an offensively challenged team either. He's in the running for worst defensive forward in the league too. If you split his numbers by half, there's virtually no improvement either. In no way is his future compromised, but if you're looking for silver linings this season, you'll be looking for a while. This is a player thoroughly unready.

The performance of some of these last few top picks puts Patrick into perspective. He came into his rookie year after missing the final portion of his draft year, with abdominal surgery over the summer, and performed quite miserably the first few months. But he finished with 21 points in 33 games his rookie year (a 50 point pace), and for the season had a 1.56 points/60 at 5v5, and +1.8 relxGF%, all while playing center.

As I see it, Patrick's only truly disappointing stretch was his first half his sophomore year. But the team was a mess. Again, he finished with 20 points in his final 34 games, and for the season had a 1.6 points/60 at 5v5 and a +0.5 relxGF%. These are very good numbers for his age, if not graded on a Pettersson curve. I find it unreasonable to call a brain disorder a "huge step back." I'd sooner call it a moratorium on a very likely upwards progression. I'm holding onto my stock.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Nico/Patrick weren't considered elite talents, it's like Phillies fans and Moniak, the first 20 in that draft have been pretty miserable, and the Phillies saved enough money to pay above slot for a couple other draft picks.

Patrick has underperformed, but he wouldn't be the first top ten pick to struggle a couple years before breaking out, see McKinnon - unfortunately, just when he might be turning the corner, he was inflicted with boils.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Speaking of Patrick, I'm still extremely excited about his potential if he's able to come back and play consistently for the rest of his career. It seems like a lot of people are down on him, even before the migraine issues.

im not down on him before... but at this point i think hes done @ the NHL level..

you just know some other teams guy is gunna line him up soon as NP hits the ice and train tracks him right back into concussion protocol for the last time..

id love to be wrong and see him take a viscious end boards crushing hit and just keep on playing... but i dont think thats the outcome...

you just know sone NHL plug is gunna wanna make a name for themselves as the guy who retired NP

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
im not down on him before... but at this point i think hes done @ the NHL level..

you just know some other teams guy is gunna line him up soon as NP hits the ice and train tracks him right back into concussion protocol for the last time..

id love to be wrong and see him take a viscious end boards crushing hit and just keep on playing... but i dont think thats the outcome...

you just know sone NHL plug is gunna wanna make a name for themselves as the guy who retired NP
I think that’s insanely premature, especially considering his recent progress.

Plus, literally every player is one bad hit away from being done. So long as he can take legal hits, I’m not worried.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's not a difficult case to make that Kakko is the least effective skilled player in the NHL. He's been that wretched. After all that talk of his size and dominant performance in a top men's league, Liiga. 13/21 of his points are on the PP; he has 7 5v5 points all season (0.56 points/60! -- 3 players have performed worse than that, and they're all on Detroit) with a -10% relxGF%, playing 14.5 minutes/game overall. It's not like the Rangers are an offensively challenged team either. He's in the running for worst defensive forward in the league too. If you split his numbers by half, there's virtually no improvement either. In no way is his future compromised, but if you're looking for silver linings this season, you'll be looking for a while. This is a player thoroughly unready.

The performance of some of these last few top picks puts Patrick into perspective. He came into his rookie year after missing the final portion of his draft year, with abdominal surgery over the summer, and performed quite miserably the first few months. But he finished with 21 points in 33 games his rookie year (a 50 point pace), and for the season had a 1.56 points/60 at 5v5, and +1.8 relxGF%, all while playing center.

As I see it, Patrick's only truly disappointing stretch was his first half his sophomore year. But the team was a mess. Again, he finished with 20 points in his final 34 games, and for the season had a 1.6 points/60 at 5v5 and a +0.5 relxGF%. These are very good numbers for his age, if not graded on a Pettersson curve. I find it unreasonable to call a brain disorder a "huge step back." I'd sooner call it a moratorium on a very likely upwards progression. I'm holding onto my stock.
giphy-6.gif

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I think that’s insanely premature, especially considering his recent progress.

Plus, literally every player is one bad hit away from being done. So long as he can take legal hits, I’m not worried.

just to be clear im sayin legal hits, takin hits in team practises aint nothin like a real game hit from a opponent

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Nico/Patrick weren't considered elite talents, it's like Phillies fans and Moniak, the first 20 in that draft have been pretty miserable, and the Phillies saved enough money to pay above slot for a couple other draft picks.

Patrick has underperformed, but he wouldn't be the first top ten pick to struggle a couple years before breaking out, see McKinnon - unfortunately, just when he might be turning the corner, he was inflicted with boils.

i certainly hope so. We can use a huge turnaround and some luck. Dude has a ton of talent but just needs to stay healthy. This team will be deep enough to surround him with talent on the third line. He will be put in a great position in that there won't be a ton of pressure on him so he can progress him game. Hopefully it is next year.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018

We are all too far away to judge, but these have been my thoughts as well ever the words „migraine disorder“ appeared. Even before that there were doubts if he could live up to the expectations, but now the odds are like 2%. He was a risky high pick and it has showed.
Please prove me wrong, NP.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Speaking of Patrick, I'm still extremely excited about his potential if he's able to come back and play consistently for the rest of his career. It seems like a lot of people are down on him, even before the migraine issues.
This.

I really liked Patrick last two seasons, especially in PP1 where he was great in front-net. As you said, if he's able to come back and play consistently, I wouldn't be surprise if he is 60+point 2C (with PP1 time of course).

He was already great in FO as young player, very good two-way and showed very good hockey IQ and skill already. I trust in him.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Why a lot of people talking about TEST?

We are best home team by far. We are best NHL team since 1st November. We are best NHL team since 8th January too. They already beat Bruins twice. This team doesnt need any test already this regular season. We are legit.

Next test will be playoffs. Nothing else.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Why a lot of people talking about TEST?

We are best home team by far. We are best NHL team since 1st November. We are best NHL team since 8th January too. They already beat Bruins twice. This team doesnt need any test already this regular season. We are legit.

Next test will be playoffs. Nothing else.
The team needed a while to get used to AV's system and his methods, but we knew that beforehand. It's been this way since he started coaching in the NHL.

It looks like they've all bought in now. They're ready for the next step. This team can beat anyone this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In an otherwise bad article by a sportswriter (Hayes) who knows nothing about hockey, Voracek admits he's finally buying in on playing defense and backchecking, and finally has realized that doing these things leads to offensive opportunities - which of course, some of us noted months ago. It's not like every HC he's had didn't stress these things (both Berube and Hakstol were defense first HCs, just like AV).

This shows the problems of rookie coaches, it's a catch-22, veterans will resist the same lessons from an inexperienced HC they'll accept from one with a long resume of success - but how do you get that long resume if you can't get veterans to "buy in?" One reason you need to match the make-up of a team with a HC, and a young HC has to get buy-in from key veterans who can bring the others along.

AV has gotten Voracek and JVR to play complete games, and the difference is obvious this season.
AV has the resume and the contract where the players know they can't go above him, it's his way or the hi-way.

But it also shows why you want your scouts to focus on character and hockey IQ, you can't count on hiring a HC who is among the top all time leaders in games won and has gone to the SC finals twice. Flyers seem to follow this pattern for the most part, Farabee, York and Cates, for example.

And why it takes time with young players, Hayes resisted AV's lessons in NY, coming out of BC with Gaudreau and him scoring in bushels, it took a couple years for the Big Dog to learn to heel.

It does help to have C0uts (27) and Provorov (23) as the leaders of the offense and defense, and Giroux as captain and Niskanen as the "Older Statesman" with a ring (kiss it boys).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad