Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Dont now a thing bout this guy but everyone in this thread seems to like our Anerican scout guy saying he knows his stuff so looks to be a good sign. And hes going to the SAME school as Gaudette lets not forget

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Meh pick, cant say Im super pleased with Wise still on the board

Nerve

Oct 11, 2007
Reading HF prospect reports on draft day used to be something I looked forward to.

These days, there isn’t really much value reading what’s posted. And now I have to wade through statements from knee-jerk armchair politicians, who are more apt to react and squabble than discuss hockey, just to find a glimmer of useful prospect information.

Such a shame that we can’t just try to enjoy hockey together for a moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
As much as I like tuning into political discussions, I think it would be best to avoid that in a prospect discussion thread. It can completely derail the thread.

I wanted Wise but I also trust the USHL scouts based on their track record. Wise dropped like a stone this draft.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
On paper, this pick isn't impressive. Smallish older player with poor production in the USHL. Really hard to think passing on Wise for this player is a good idea given their relative production.

That said, our USHL scouting has been pretty spot-on and those guys have earned the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Anyway, back to what matters (hockey)...

At a certain point you have to just trust that your scouts can make the right pick. I have never seen this guy play once or anyone who was projected on a consensus list around this pick.

Our USHL scouts are pretty good, so I am pretty good with it.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Great pick.
Was the exact 3rd round pick I was calling for. Liked Jakub Lauko a little bit more but I'm happy with this.

Madden like his old man can fly and is a relentless worker. Incredible edges. He will make huge strides in NCAA.

Trouble is, the kid is 5'10" and weighs 150 pounds. There's no way he gets anywhere near the NHL at that size even if he can 'fly', and particularly as a center. For comparisons sake, Michael Carcone can 'fly' as well and is listed at 5'10" and 170....and the Canucks didn't even have to waste a draft pick on him. To wit Comet and Canuck posters complain he's too small and gets knocked off the puck too easily....only time will tell with Madden I guess.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I trust Judd Brackett more than Benning so I'll give him the BotD on Madden, but it highlights how Benning should be loading up on picks to allow Brackett and co to swinging for the frnces in amongst safermpicks. Some great skating so far in this draft.
Yeah USHL scouts have been good so let’s hope they hit this one as well.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Having heard Brackett’s breakdown of the pick I can see where theyre coming from. They see Wise as fully developed physically and with not much more room to grow, whereas Madden has a lot more to show as he ages in college. Will be interesting to see if he has more offense to show.

Reactions: ProviesGhost

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Jack Wise is trending downwards and won’t amount to a hill of beans in this league.

Madden >>>>> Wise.

Definitely a “wise” selection by Benning. f*** Jack (not so) Wise.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I trust Judd Brackett more than Benning so I'll give him the BotD on Madden, but it highlights how Benning should be loading up on picks to allow Brackett and co to swinging for the frnces in amongst safermpicks. Some great skating so far in this draft.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Hockey db lists John Madden as 5'11" and 190. I wonder what he weighed when he was drafted, and whether there's anything indicating that Tyler is likely to wind up at his father's weight.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Hockey db lists John Madden as 5'11" and 190. I wonder what he weighed when he was drafted, and whether there's anything indicating that Tyler is likely to wind up at his father's weight.
That would be tough to know, because he wasnt drafted.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Meh pick, cant say Im super pleased with Wise still on the board

I want to trust Brackett on this but....Wise seriously was the clear pick here. He was the clear pick at 37. Just too talented and too complete of a player to wave away. I'm actually livid we had two shots at him and passed. He was like a top 20ish guy for me.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Good point!

So, his weight at the same age ...? or even when he entered the league?
According to this card, he was 5'11 / 185 when he played his first NHL games at 25 and a half (first NHL action was in January 1999). He maxed out at 190.

5516-1246225Bk.jpg

Reactions: Catbug and lindgren

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I didn't realize so many posters here spent more time in the USA watching these players than the Canucks scouting staff did this past season.

Wise was still available, clearly many other teams see issues with him, not just the Canucks. I'm going to trust them on this one.

There's room to criticize. No one in that front office is infallible. And let's be real, it's not like these guys have never made mistakes before.

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad