Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apu

GotOutOfABinTime!
Mar 20, 2009
Poco
Given what happened on January 2010 to, ahem, certain Blackhawks players after a night out in Vancouver, I am sure Tyler has been reminded by his dad to avoid The Roxy at all costs. :sarcasm:

John-Madden-flexing-shirtless.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Madden is a far safer pick to make the NHL and even if he does not make it as a top 6 guy he can be a role player with speed grit, quickness and a shut down role.

Wise on the other hand is a make it as a top 6 guy or don't make it at all type of guy and the Canucks believed Madden is far more likely to make it even as a bottom 6 NHLer then Wise. Also one guy that had the opportunity to watch him play, said Wise's skating was horrendous and didn't understand why they were upset for not picking Wise.

Stan Bowmans reaction when we drafted Madden said it all. He wanted Madden with his pick but we took it from him. He also wanted Hughes at 8, but we also took him from the Hawks. Trust in the process, trust in Benning :)

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Benning just always overshoots the mark....first "Meat and Potatoes" not he thinks drafting the smallest guys possible is the best strategy for success

Stupid,

Not a fan of this draft at all.......except for Jett Woo.....him I like

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You understand it's ridiculous to expect not to have right-wingers (political not position) in hockey, right? At what point have we let politics affect our hockey? I remember a few years ago we were all pissed off at Thomas for making it political and not just going to see whoever the President is.

Let them play hockey, and let them take a role in our community. There are good people who might prefer a political candidate you detest for reasons you can't necessarily relate to, as long as they're not shoving it down your throat and using the team to make a statement like Thomas, let it go.

If he can fill out at all I hope he can carve out a career like his father. Having a long time Canuck playing that way is always fun to watch. It's why we liked guys like Hansen and Burrows before they were even scoring.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I’ve never seen him play so I can’t conment on that. I don’t like his size, it’s not projectable. But he’s a Trump fan and I’m down with that. Love it.

I’ll reserve actual hockey judgement in a few years down the road.

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Everything I've read and seen on this kid since we drafted him makes me think it's a very solid 3rd round pick. Low ceiling, but a reasonable bet to make the NHL as a good bottom six forward. I'm liking him so far. He just needs to put on a bit of muscle

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Everything I've read and seen on this kid since we drafted him makes me think it's a very solid 3rd round pick. Low ceiling, but a reasonable bet to make the NHL as a good bottom six forward. I'm liking him so far. He just needs to put on a bit of muscle
Our scouts have been on fire in US program and college hockey recently

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

How much of that projection is due to his last name?

I actually see Madden as a high ceiling mid floor type prospect. He's a bit like Gaudette with better speed who kind of underachieved offensively relative to what the Canucks/Brackett thinks he can be. Take away his current lack of size and his offensive production prior to the draft, there's not much in the way of weaknesses and he has high-end speed and ability to control the puck and make plays at speed. But he hasn't produced the type of offensive numbers that suggests a high end player, so while he has a high ceiling, he's not a sure thing as far as top 6 is concerned but he can quickly erase that if he keeps developing in college. For a high 3rd round pick, he's a good prospect and looks to be a solid value pick.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
How much of that projection is due to his last name?

I actually see Madden as a high ceiling mid floor type prospect. He's a bit like Gaudette with better speed who kind of underachieved offensively relative to what the Canucks/Brackett thinks he can be. Take away his current lack of size and his offensive production prior to the draft, there's not much in the way of weaknesses and he has high-end speed and ability to control the puck and make plays at speed. But he hasn't produced the type of offensive numbers that suggests a high end player, so while he has a high ceiling, he's not a sure thing as far as top 6 is concerned but he can quickly erase that if he keeps developing in college. For a high 3rd round pick, he's a good prospect and looks to be a solid value pick.
I suppose I (and many others) could be swayed by his Dad's past when thinking what he will be. However, you say that his pre-draft offensive numbers don't suggest a top 6 forward, so that is largely what I'm basing it on.
I actually think the Canucks could use more of these type of prospects/young guys that project to be bottom sixer's. I'm sure lots of you will disagree, but I view guys like Palmu, Jasek, Goldobin (obviously), Leipsic, Lind, Dahlen as guys that either produce offensively in the NHL or play in the AHL/Europe. We need some home grown bottom six forwards (and the Granlund types don't count). I'm confident Gaudette will be a quality NHL with as a good 3C. Madden, Lockwood, and maybe Gadjovich also fit the bill.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I suppose I (and many others) could be swayed by his Dad's past when thinking what he will be. However, you say that his pre-draft offensive numbers don't suggest a top 6 forward, so that is largely what I'm basing it on.
I actually think the Canucks could use more of these type of prospects/young guys that project to be bottom sixer's. I'm sure lots of you will disagree, but I view guys like Palmu, Jasek, Goldobin (obviously), Leipsic, Lind, Dahlen as guys that either produce offensively in the NHL or play in the AHL/Europe. We need some home grown bottom six forwards (and the Granlund types don't count). I'm confident Gaudette will be a quality NHL with as a good 3C. Madden, Lockwood, and maybe Gadjovich also fit the bill.

Haven't had a chance to watch the games but he's taking lots of shots and taking the most faceoffs on the team. Pretty good signs for a freshman center. At prospects camp he looked like a first rounder to me, lots of speed, skill, hockey sense. At the same age he's better than Adam Gaudette IMO.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Should I split Madden's draft thread off into a separate player discussion thread now that his season/NCAA career is underway? Your call.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Haven't had a chance to watch the games but he's taking lots of shots and taking the most faceoffs on the team. Pretty good signs for a freshman center. At prospects camp he looked like a first rounder to me, lots of speed, skill, hockey sense. At the same age he's better than Adam Gaudette IMO.
Thats some mighty high praise there doc, i think you could be on to something :nod:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Should I split Madden's draft thread off into a separate player discussion thread now that his season/NCAA career is underway? Your call.
We will not change the type of convo we have about him so its PURELY for your administration Zombie Man. Doesnt t matter none to me

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well by most accounts (at at least his dad), Tyler is more considered more offensive oriented than his dad and has better puck skills. But his dad really was no slouch himself. Very underrated offensively IMO.

Anyways, my point is that I think the Canucks drafted him based on his perceived offensive upside. If you go back to Brackett's draft day comments, he talked about Madden being underdeveloped as a reason for drafting him.

I totally agree. I have been saying this for a long time. The Canucks lack prospects in the system that project into good 3rd line players besides Lockwood. A lot of it may be perception. While I would be happy if Gaudette turns out to be a good 3C, I would be a bit disappointed if he doesn't develop into a Bozak type 2nd line C given his success in the NCAA. There's also no reason why you can't play a more skill oriented 3rd line where guys like Palmu can fit. But in reality, I expect the odds to be against a Palmu or a Jasek to even become NHL regulars. It's different for guys like Lind and Dahlen though. Given their draft position and pedigree they should develop into NHL players. IMO, Lind and Dahlen weren't first round picks due to questions over their offensive upside rather than questions over their defensive game. Gadjovich I see more as a boom or bust as he has skating issues he needs to overcome.

With Madden, I do see a high ceiling but to me as a draft eligible prospect, I do see a bigger bust factor than Lockwood at the time of the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad