Prospect Info: 68th overall: Vancouver selects Tyler Madden (son of John, Northeastern University commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know about taking a '99 born 150 lb player like Madden when Wise was still available. Wise produced nearly 2.5 times more offense in the same league and that difference is too big to ignore IMO.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I guess we're building familiarity in some school systems with Northeastern... It forces the conversations to be made by Gaudette to lend tips to Madden as well as selecting NHL-family bloodlines within the organization... I presume??

Don't know much about him yet... but as mentioned by other posters, I trust Judd Brackett's eyes more than mine

Reactions: Peen

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
best to wait and see how he performs in his freshman season before judging this pick.

Nobody thought much of Gaudette during his draft year.

jimmythescot

Jul 28, 2009
Edinburgh, Scotland
Way better players in the USHL were still available.

Well, if there's one section of the backroom staff we have; it's the USHL coaches. I'm willing to wait and see. We sure seem to be picking a lot of beanpoles in the last couple of years. I'm confident he'll fill out. I remember thinking his dad was on the chunky side.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Wise is a sexy name but his stock has dropped like a stone over the past year. Multiple teams have passed on him in 3 rounds.

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Ok I admit to knowing ZERO about this pick other than the fact that he's a stick at 150lbs. I'm not nearly concerned about a player that has all the tools but needs to gain weight as I would be with a guy who has a man frame but can't skate worth shit.

Size and strength is something that can be worked on and IMO is the easiest of the attributes to address..........

At the end of the day this would appear to be a Brackett pick - which judging by his past history is good news for us.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
150 pounds, seems to have a nose for the net, has an alright if not spectacular shot.

I don't know. if we had a 4th, I feel like we could have had him there. Nice to have a right handed C in the system though, I guess ?

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
High upside on this kid and nice intangibles so a swing for the fences pick that I like.Imperative to add an offensive C prospect to our pool as well,even if he’s a project.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The only other guy I liked in this spot was Ty Emberson of the USHL.

We could have free'd up our right side on defense with woo, and emberson.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I do like bloodlines, probably plays 2-3 years at least at Northeastern.

Pronger Cassels and Sutter come to mind for us...

Like a lot of us are saying, I trust our US scouts more then most branches of our scouting though. If he has a career like his Dad that's a huge win with a third round pick.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
**** this kid holy ****

Hate this pick for that. Absolutely inexcusable.

Ridiculous reaction, and I'm far from a Trump supporter...

I'm liking this pick. It's a swing for the fences, but I'd be interested to see what this kid can do once he fills out his frame. He's decently tall, and from the sounds of it he plays with tenacity, even at his current size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad