OT: 68th Obsequious Banter Thread: The thread with moves like Jagr

Status
Not open for further replies.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I'd like to pick everyone's brain here...

I know we are true Flyers fans here, but have you ever fell out of love with being a fan? I think I am getting to that point.

I think that I've noticed that the price of tickets, parking, food, has gone up so much in my lifetime, and now as I am trying to buy a house...I honestly don't care how much Provy is going to sign for, I don't care if the players are holding out...because it legit doesn't have any meaning on my life at all.

I don't feel that franchises have the best interest in mind of the fan a lot of the time, its all about money, and they have absolutely ruined the in-game experience by pricing out fans by doing so.

Can anyone relate? I think I might be on the outs lol

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I know we are true Flyers fans here, but have you ever fell out of love with being a fan? I think I am getting to that point.

I think that I've noticed that the price of tickets, parking, food, has gone up so much in my lifetime, and now as I am trying to buy a house...I honestly don't care how much Provy is going to sign for, I don't care if the players are holding out...because it legit doesn't have any meaning on my life at all.

I don't feel that franchises have the best interest in mind of the fan a lot of the time, its all about money, and they have absolutely ruined the in-game experience by pricing out fans by doing so.

I have absolutely gone through lulls such as you describe, when I have gotten busy with more "serious" things and thought the days of caring about sports like they were life or death were in my past. Then I came back to them, but I don't know if I have ever really come all the way back. I can't imagine anything ever again affecting me the way the loss in the 87 finals did - in fact, I'm sure that nothing could. That's just the nature of getting older and cramming more experiences, good or bad, into our skulls.

I think the thing you (meaning all of us) have to do eventually is stop judging whether you are "hardcore" enough to be a real fan - we all do that to some degree and it's something that just doesn't matter at all. It's supposed to be a choice, though it more often feels like a curse - it's supposed to be entertaining. The rage it engenders can be entertaining if you know how to channel it - the sadness is harder to channel. At the moment I am finding it impossible to see how I am going to cope with Hayes, how I am going to manufacture any kind of enthusiasm over the next seven horrible years, but I am basically trusting my subconscious - which is full of mischief - to lead the way.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In the big picture nothing actually matters. Hockey is just something to help distract myself until I die. It's a vacation from dwelling on bad/worse things by telling/convincing ourselves that this matters and that we care.

If you really take the time to think enough about anything you'll end up not caring about it. So just don't overthink it and enjoy what you can.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
In the big picture nothing actually matters. Hockey is just something to help distract myself until I die. It's a vacation from dwelling on bad/worse things by telling/convincing ourselves that this matters and that we care.

If you really take the time to think enough about anything you'll end up not caring about it. So just don't overthink it and enjoy what you can.

giphy.gif

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

Yes. For me personally the reasons are different, but it ultimately doesn't matter why.

It's entertainment. If you're not enjoying following the offseason stuff or trade rumors, don't. If the games aren't fun, don't go and don't watch. There's nothing wrong with floating in and out as the product catches and loses your interest. I will never understand people who do things they don't enjoy out of habit.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
:laugh: Nah, I'm just saying not to overthink things and to just enjoy whatever you can.

Even the best stuff in life can be minimized if you really try to, but what's the point in that? Just find as much happiness as possible in whatever like.

You really do sound like a Goth kid who has started reading Buddhist literature in small increments. It's kind of disgusting.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I think the thing you (meaning all of us) have to do eventually is stop judging whether you are "hardcore" enough to be a real fan - we all do that to some degree and it's something that just doesn't matter at all.

Oh dear god, yes. Casual isn't an insult.

I don't walk around in my everyday life espousing the virtues of the hardcore nerd stats to people who couldn't possibly give a flying. Quite frankly, they're better off and I'm jealous. They get to enjoy the games without the baggage.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I don't walk around in my everyday life espousing the virtues of the hardcore nerd stats to people who couldn't possibly give a flying. Quite frankly, they're better off and I'm jealous. They get to enjoy the games without the baggage.

Ideally, the best mix is to be a casual if that is the way you are feeling at any given moment, but to hate casuals consistently, always, because they suck - they suck always, but they especially suck when you are feeling more than casual. Ultimately, many people are spite-deficient enough to benefit from some steady hating.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ideally, the best mix is to be a casual if that is the way you are feeling at any given moment, but to hate casuals consistently, always, because they suck - they suck always, but they especially suck when you are feeling more than casual. Ultimately, many people are spite-deficient enough to benefit from some steady hating.

I can't imagine how much effort it takes to separate out all of your hatred into its individual components. You have my respect for that.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly

Haha I didn't mean it like that, I just didn't want to get called a hypocrite that I'm registered and a poster on a Hockey Forum board lol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

:laugh: I 100% use "casual" as an insult when someone is trying to sound knowledgeable and is argumentative, but only have a casual fans level of knowledge.

There's nothing wrong with being a casual fan as long as you have the self awareness to realize you are and don't try to argue with people who are hardcore.

For example, there's a reason I never post in the Eagles or Sixers threads, despite being a fan of both teams... it's because I know I only have a casual fans level of knowledge on the subject and my opinion is basically worthless. I simply don't follow those sports close enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad