Post-Game Talk: #67: Capitals at FLYERS, Wednesday, Mar. 6, 2019, 7:30 pm ET

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Everything is ultimately Homer's fault.

The core of this team is leftover from Homer, the worst contract on this team was signed by Homer, he hired and fired Hextall and Pryor, and he’s ultimately responsible for the state the team was in when Hextall took over. Which was a half retool devoid of draft or prospect assets. He currently runs hockey ops.

You’d have to not understand cause and effect or intentionally obtuse to not get that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
It's cool dudes, Flyers just need to go 15-0 the rest of the way to make it.

I actually want them to do it and will be heartbroken with every loss along the way

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I mean I expect the player’s & coaches mindsets to be that it’s not over until they’re officially out. But the higher up’s should be more in line with reality. Same for the fans.

Under the previous regime (Hextall & Hakstol) everyone except the fans had the it’s not over until they’re officially eliminated mentality. Which was horse****.

So make the poll, it's a good one for this board. Maybe allow for some adjustment of the poll choices.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I maybe am late to the discussion. But why were Wilson and Amac sent off together?

Simple lesson for the players. It's relatively easy to compete in NHL games, and to win...it takes only close to full attention, not very hard, and it was lacking for quite some time. Luckily, that was a well placed loss...Caps do not complete with you for a playoff spot...you get 2 more losses, so decide now and get it done.

Idk what MacDonald did? Wilson had to be upset about something.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
I've been told by a certain poster that Jake is easily replaceable.

A team with shallow forward depth and no cap problems should not be looking to dump Voracek under any circumstances. The guy is still far away the best winger on the team outside of the Giroux wing/center hybrid.

At this point, I think the Flyer's Seattle expansion draft choice of 7F/3d or 4 F/4D largely rests on Jake's results. Shucks, I can't even write that without disavowing it,,,but some variation of that theme is certain, Flyers are getting f****d in the expansion draft, and all that remains is the choice of position. :)

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Re: Flyers
sad.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Move on to what?
NAK is injured, Bunnaman isn't a NHL center and Vorobyev hasn't shown anything yet.
Rubtsov and Kase are injured and Laberge has just returned to the ice.

It takes time to finish a rebuild, you can see all the players that are on the way but it'll take 2-3 years for them all to arrive and get enough experience to play in big games. Sanheim is in his second year and totally blew the 5th goal by chasing the puck, learning curve.

Playing without Voracek and Patrick simply exposed what we know - they have 7 forwards and 5 guys who belong on the 4th line or the press box. When they add 2-3 more forwards (Frost, Farabee, Ratcliffe, Laczynski/Allison, etc) they'll be ready to play with the big boys.

Myers is going to be better than Sanheim, people that large shouldn't be that nifty unless they're in the NBA.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
iu

I'm actually kinda pumped to see what this team could be in a year.

Play the kids the rest of the way.

In the off-season, fill a couple holes (we have the cap space) and get a permanent, top-tier coach who can teach the break-out by our skilled, young D-men.

Bad game, but the future actually looks pretty positive.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
At the sake of a third post in a row, I legitimately believe Paul Holmgren to be the worst GM in any professional sport.

Got bailed out of Bryzgalov. Got bailed out of Shea Weber. Epic blunder on the Pronger over 35 contract. Traded high picks from a non-playoff team for guys who were unrestricted free agents. Inherited a good system & great cap space & left it a disaster in both respects for his replacement.

He was an astonishing mess of an executive in charge of an almost billion dollar business. And then got promoted to President, upon which he opined he was looking forward to learning the business side of the sport. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
At the sake of a third post in a row, I legitimately believe Paul Holmgren to be the worst GM in any professional sport.

Got bailed out of Bryzgalov. Got bailed out of Shea Weber. Epic blunder on the Pronger over 35 contract. Traded high picks from a non-playoff team for guys who were unrestricted free agents. Inherited a good system & great cap space & left it a disaster in both respects for his replacement.

He was an astonishing mess of an executive in charge of an almost billion dollar business. And then got promoted to President, upon which he opined he was looking forward to learning the business side of the sport. You couldn’t make this stuff up.

Holy hyperbole. He is not even the worst GM in Flyers' history let alone NHL.

Shea Weber and Chris Pronger were well calculated risks that could have put the team over the edge and Bryz was more on Snider than on him.
Of course, you did not mention the two franchise altering trades (Richards, Carter) that set up the current team for success.

I'm happy that he is gone as a GM but I understand that he came out of a no salary cap era and failed to pick up the basics fast enough to adapt.

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
BS game. At least they showed a little in the second half. Does Lindblom ever lose a puck battle? He not only dominated along the boards, but also in open ice. The guy is a tremendous player and will be the perfect compliment to high skilled play drivers. He’s top 6 material now and that’s great news. Myers is amazing. He literally could be the Flyers best dman next year. Cudos to Deadhead. I thought Sanheim was better, but it’s a lot closer. Very very exciting. If we do add EK for free I think we have a top 5 d core next year.

Now we see what a Jake-less team looks like. Freaking horror show when we are down a top player, let alone two with NP out.

I've been told by a certain poster that Jake is easily replaceable.

A team with shallow forward depth and no cap problems should not be looking to dump Voracek under any circumstances. The guy is still far away the best winger on the team outside of the Giroux wing/center hybrid.

What? Jake missed the game and Bailey came in. And knight and Laughton got a lot of minutes. I haven’t seen anyone say cut Jake Voracek. You can move his salary for a guy like Stone or Panarin that fits better and have a lot less brain farts. I’m not sure who would say we should cut out our first line top producer for Josh Bailey.

It's cool dudes, Flyers just need to go 15-0 the rest of the way to make it.

I actually want them to do it and will be heartbroken with every loss along the way

Yup this has got to be it. What is it now? Lose 2 more and we are done? Plus Pitt and cbus play each other in a home and home. Tanking doesn’t make sense at this point so just keep playing well and play the kids a lot in spots that they can grow.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Time to concede that the playoffs are a longshot and that it'd be better in the long term to give Morin and Vorobyev spots on the team down the stretch of this lame duck period. Funnily enough, replacing bad players with young kids that have an iota of potential would actually improve our playoff chances.

I can not wait until this fall when Morin isn't allowed to make the team out of camp because he doesn't have enough experience following his injury.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Ok for all the "Call up the kids!!!!" people. It's not happening. They have 1, yes 1, more non emergency call up. So what we see is what we get for the rest of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad