Prospect Info: 66th Overall, Albin Grewe, Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Is it safe to say he is a bust yet? I remember he was "the next Marchand" goes to show draft night goggles can blind you....

I wanted to believe the hype.
Then I saw him in the Wings 3-on-3 tournament. The die-hards said "don't judge him" because he was playing against future teammates and didn't want to injure them.
Whatevs.
You could see the skating was nowhere near good enough for a guy his size.

My question is, what the f*** did the scouts see in his skating?

It was that same 3-on-3 tournament where Soderblom opened my eyes a bit, too.

Reactions: Filppula

bedtime20

nap nap
Nov 30, 2018
Metro Detroit
He’s only 21, far from a bust yet. See what he does in the Allsvenskan this season, wouldn’t mind keeping him as a agitator guy for the AHL/ECHL.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I wanted to believe the hype.
Then I saw him in the Wings 3-on-3 tournament. The die-hards said "don't judge him" because he was playing against future teammates and didn't want to injure them.
Whatevs.
You could see the skating was nowhere near good enough for a guy his size.

My question is, what the f*** did the scouts see in his skating?

It was that same 3-on-3 tournament where Soderblom opened my eyes a bit, too.
Damn his skating was that bad eh? Sucks he busted.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't think anyone outside of round 1 can be considered a 'bust', because that implies the expectation that they were going to make the NHL.

The league has maybe 750 players that play games in any year... really only 500 regular players. The league isn't that big. This idea that 2nd and 3rd+ rounders are supposed to make it... its just not very realistic.

Almost ALL of our prospects are likely not to make the NHL. As much fun as it is to watch these kids, and get excited that they will make it... honestly almost all of them wont make it. Its why i keep a very low bar in regards to prospects honestly... The only prospects we have that I think will make the NHL for sure are our first round picks drafted before 15th OA. Its when those players miss, that i use the term Bust.

As much as we like Berggren... even he is less than 50% chance to be an NHL player for more than a season or 2. People like to list their future line ups here all the time... pencilling in every 2nd round pick we have... even that is massively optomistic.

Lets just say my default position is this: all draft picks are nothing more than dice rolls until they actually do something. So my default position means no one can really bust... because i expect them not to make the NHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
it's too bad really

I think it would have been way better for his development if he had gone to the OHL as planned a couple years ago but Covid messed that up

he needed to develop in ways that just aren't going to happen playing against men

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I don't think anyone outside of round 1 can be considered a 'bust', because that implies the expectation that they were going to make the NHL.
I tend to agree with this. Also the word "bust" is just unnecessarily negative (typical for fan vocabulary I guess) considering not making the NHL is by far the likeliest outcome for anyone outside the first round. Would prefer that word not be used to be honest.

Anyway we still have Grewe's rights for another year so no real need to determine yet what he turned out to be. I mean, we just signed Andreasson who at Grewe's age played tier-3 hockey in Sweden. In fact Grewe (D+3) just outperformed Andreasson's D+4 season in the Allsvenskan.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I don't think there ever was enough skill to do those unfair Marchand-comparisons.

Let's go with possible "next brendan lemieux" if everything goes well, and that about it.

This guy is most messed because of lacking development, and did seem to be at wrong league level too many years in-a-row.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Troll statement to get conversation going... but since i am responding, your trollness worked.

The league has maybe 750 players that play games in any year... really only 500 regular players. The league isn't that big. This idea that 2nd and 3rd+ rounders are supposed to make it... its just not very realistic.

Almost ALL of our prospects are likely not to make the NHL. As much fun as it is to watch these kids, and get excited that they will make it... honestly almost all of them wont make it. Its why i keep a very low bar in regards to prospects honestly... The only prospects we have that I think will make the NHL for sure are our first round picks drafted before 15th OA. Its when those players miss, that i use the term Bust.

As much as we like Berggren... even he is less than 50% chance to be an NHL player for more than a season or 2. People like to list their future line ups here all the time... pencilling in every 2nd round pick we have... even that is massively optomistic.

Lets just say my default position is this: all draft picks are nothing more than dice rolls until they actually do something. So my default position means no one can really bust... because i expect them not to make the NHL.
You can't jump in the conversation without the name calling? You need attention that badly?

I tend to agree with this. Also the word "bust" is just unnecessarily negative (typical for fan vocabulary I guess) considering not making the NHL is by far the likeliest outcome for anyone outside the first round. Would prefer that word not be used to be honest.

Anyway we still have Grewe's rights for another year so no real need to determine yet what he turned out to be. I mean, we just signed Andreasson who at Grewe's age played tier-3 hockey in Sweden. In fact Grewe (D+3) just outperformed Andreasson's D+4 season in the Allsvenskan.
People were saying he was our Swedish Marchand now it looks like he won't even make the NHL. That's not a bust? He was highly touted in the forum when he was chosen. I know it's a third rounder but everyone was too excited...

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
The problem starts with so called "reporters" and arm chair scouts who shoot that every pick has enormous potential and is the so called "next ...". It gives unrealistic expectations

Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
People were saying he was our Swedish Marchand now it looks like he won't even make the NHL. That's not a bust? He was highly touted in the forum when he was chosen. I know it's a third rounder but everyone was too excited...

The development was wasted. Just one example of it at NHL drafting.

I don't know is the problem in the person, in Djurgården organization or at wrong choises. Development has been the failure, not the pick. Everything started going downwards after his draft year.

3rd rounder is rarely a bust, no matter what people say or compare him. He is just a pick, which didn't pan out, like majority of draft picks after 2nd round.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
The problem starts with so called "reporters" and arm chair scouts who shoot that every pick has enormous potential and is the so called "next ...". It gives unrealistic expectations

to be fair Hakan himself called him the most competitive European in the draft "in many years" right after the draft

but yeah he was a 3rd round pick the odds were probably against him even if Covid hadn't messed things up with his development

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
If someone takes comments like that about a freshly drafted 3rd rounder as anything more than a style-of-game comparison, I'm worried.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I hate that Yzerlland is getting attention like this when he posts like he did in this thread. He doesn’t like the result of the 2022 draft and people that aren’t as upset as he is. So he goes out of his way to exhume a thread from the dead to ask if a random 3rd round pick should be considered a bust because he’s clearly not making the NHL.

By doing so, he can “prove” that everyone is too optimistic about late round players and claim it as evidence that he’s correct, that the most recent draft sucked and that a majority of the day 2 picks will fail to appear in the NHL…as if the odds were ever in their favor to begin with.

All that needs to be said is that day 2 prospects can’t be identified as busts because the odds say that their careers will be short or nonexistent. Historical evidence proves as much. No Grewe didn’t bust…he was a long shot to begin with, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t worth the draft pick at the time.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I hate that Yzerlland is getting attention like this when he posts like he did in this thread. He doesn’t like the result of the 2022 draft and people that aren’t as upset as he is. So he goes out of his way to exhume a thread from the dead to ask if a random 3rd round pick should be considered a bust because he’s clearly not making the NHL.

By doing so, he can “prove” that everyone is too optimistic about late round players and claim it as evidence that he’s correct, that the most recent draft sucked and that a majority of the day 2 picks will fail to appear in the NHL…as if the odds were ever in their favor to begin with.

All that needs to be said is that day 2 prospects can’t be identified as busts because the odds say that their careers will be short or nonexistent. Historical evidence proves as much. No Grewe didn’t bust…he was a long shot to begin with, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t worth the draft pick at the time.
You're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad