Post-Game Talk: #66: FLYERS 5 at Capitals 2, Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Wiilson is tough, but he also goes "Rinaldo" stupid, part of being effectively tough is to pick your spots, avoid late hits that draw penalties, and don't get drawn into fights against less talented players that take you off the ice for half a period in a key game.

him losing it at times all part of his allure. Take him any day of the week.

So... late hits that cause you to be in the penalty box and fighting lesser players so that you're in the penalty box is part of the Wilson's allure?

I just want to make sure that I have this correct.

if that's what you take out of that statement then that's your take.

fighting lesser players? tell me who he is supposed to fight that he doesn't? His late hits are overblown imo. Has he had some, yes not saying he hasn't.

That's exactly what I am going to take from that statement because it's exactly what you said. He did those exact things last night.

Fighting lesser players meaning that he has to sit in the box and takes Robert Hagg and Nate Thompson with him, aka lesser players than himself, aka hurting his team.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
That's exactly what I am going to take from that statement because it's exactly what you said. He did those exact things last night.

Fighting lesser players meaning that he has to sit in the box and takes Robert Hagg and Nate Thompson with him, aka lesser players than himself, aka hurting his team.
that's your opinion. Besides you think he is a goon so him being off the ice helps his team no? Cant do any more damage..

He keeps people on their toes. He probably is in the other players heads when he is on the ice. Maybe those said players are more worried about him and what
he might do at any given time which takes away form their game.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Huge credit to Thompson & Hagg for fighting Wilson.

Both much smaller.

Thompson is a decent fighter & hung in there despite the size difference.

Hagg somehow actually got a surprise left or two in despite not being a fighter at all.

I like the camaraderie it exhibits. This team is no pushover.

They seem like such a crazy tight team. I imagine it's a massive breath of fresh air being allowed to have personalities again after the suppression of the Hex/Hak regime.

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
Farabee already had a situation like that in Winnipeg.
I remember that. the point was that some folks couldn't stand Nate Thompson in the lineup. It was a matter of time before he started playing better or did something stand up like he did last night. some of the Corsi lovers are reluctant to acknowledge intangibles.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Wilson is dumb AF. Would not take him on the team just because he plays with an edge. He delivers too many questionable hits, takes dumb penalties, and had low hockey IQ

If I am adding a goon, i'd rather have Reaves type to be honest. He's not as talented as Wilson but he also isn't out there trying to injure players any time the temperature goes up and he is virtually unbeatable when the gloves come off. He's not getting punched twice in the face by Robert Hagg lol

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
If I am adding a goon, i'd rather have Reaves type to be honest. He's not as talented as Wilson but he also isn't out there trying to injure players any time the temperature goes up and he is virtually unbeatable when the gloves come off. He's not getting punched twice in the face by Robert Hagg lol

I thought this last night. I wish we had Reaves (for Wilson). Yes, Reaves can be a questionable character, but the guy never backs down and doesn't target much smaller guys

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I think Laughton can be a 20 goal scorer... he has a great shot and good speed.

But if he had a couple of 20 goal years it is likely a "Raffl" style 20. As a solid 3rd wheel playing with two far more talented linemates.

In an ideal world I guess he is at 3W.
The ideal situation in 2020-21 is 4LW, where the 4th line could be as good as most teams' 3rd line.

G-Couts-Jake
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Patrick-Frost/Oskar ( :( )
Raffl-Laughton-NAK

;)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I thought this last night. I wish we had Reaves (for Wilson). Yes, Reaves can be a questionable character, but the guy never backs down and doesn't target much smaller guys

He's a UFA this summer but I want no parts of that contract. He's going to get overpaid and we have too many good 4th liners. I think our best bet for having an every day monster in the lineup is Morin still.

PhlthyRich

Mar 26, 2019
Philadelphia
He's a UFA this summer but I want no parts of that contract. He's going to get overpaid and we have too many good 4th liners. I think our best bet for having an every day monster in the lineup is Morin still.

Agreed, even with the reported potential higher cap. tbh, even though sample size is small, I'd be interested in bringing Grant back for 1 year. Same with Pitlick. Not both though, too many young guys.

Reactions: VladDrag

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I remember that. the point was that some folks couldn't stand Nate Thompson in the lineup. It was a matter of time before he started playing better or did something stand up like he did last night. some of the Corsi lovers are reluctant to acknowledge intangibles.
What is more likely to help a team win? Getting (literally) dragged into a fight or outchancing the other team?

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Agreed, even with the reported potential higher cap. tbh, even though sample size is small, I'd be interested in bringing Grant back for 1 year. Same with Pitlick. Not both though, too many young guys.
The cost will be the factor with both as well as term. Cant afford to overpay in term or money on these types. You can always wait it out and grab a similar player towards end of the summer. This is also why it is important to develop those types who are on an entry level contract.

speaking of which NAK is a RFA after the year? If so what type of deal do you give him?

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The cost will be the factor with both as well as term. Cant afford to overpay in term or money on these types. You can always wait it out and grab a similar player towards end of the summer. This is also why it is important to develop those types who are on an entry level contract.

speaking of which NAK is a RFA after the year? If so what type of deal do you give him?

NAK will have a hard time leveraging more than say ~$1.5m. Maybe even less. As good as he has been.

Same for Pitlick. Though maybe he can try and hold out for like ~$2m.

Now Grant... he can probably demand a good $2.5m as a C.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
NAK will have a hard time leveraging more than say ~$1.5m. Maybe even less. As good as he has been.

Same for Pitlick. Though maybe he can try and hold out for like ~$2m.

Now Grant... he can probably demand a good $2.5m as a C.
I just give NAK the required raise, not sure what that is right now. If pitlick only cost 1.5 no issue signing him at that rate. Years is the issue there as I bet he wants security.

Think grant may get a tad more but in that vicinity. his term will be interesting.

Reactions: Appleyard

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
i still cant get how awesome this game was. I feel so damn hopeful heading into the playoffs. I don't remember the last time I wanted the playoffs so bad and going in feeling that any team is not a bad matchup. Even the pens first round series I didn't feel that confident.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
It's crazy how some people fear stats as if they're literally witchcraft. :laugh:

At least intangibles and fighting don't involve scary numbers.

Some people rely on stats because they don't know what they are really seeing..... :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad