Post-Game Talk: #66: FLYERS 5 at Capitals 2, Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
love tom Wilson. Not going to happen though really would love that type on the flyers. Too bad the former GM neutered this team. Maybe the new one will address in off season.

Kudos to haag for steeping up. No hesitation. All things considered he fared pretty well. Look for Haag to elevate his game going forward imo.

Wiilson is tough, but he also goes "Rinaldo" stupid, part of being effectively tough is to pick your spots, avoid late hits that draw penalties, and don't get drawn into fights against less talented players that take you off the ice for half a period in a key game.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Amazing game! So much fun to watch - real playoff atmosphere. I only wish the fans at the WFC were this loud and not a knitting club.

Standouts tonight - Grant, Hayes, Provorov, Sanheim/Myers, NAK, Laughton, Jake.

I love Serial Killer Laughts. He's having a career year, and the sandpaper in his game is on full display. Great stuff.

NAK! Man, he just continues to produce and be a solid player out there.

Tom Wilson is a punk. Seriously. He looks like his only objective is to decapitate someone. Blind side hits, late hits, extra punches after a fight. I can always appreciate talent, Flyers or not, but not when the guy has a brain malfunction and is looking to injure. He is bad for the game.

Elliott made the saves he needed to and a few under pressure that could have changed the game. Nice to see!

Did Kovalolchuk even play?

Let's make it EIGHT tonight!

Reactions: Amorgus

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Where is the Nate hate today?
Answered the caps hit with one of his own and then fights Tom Wilson....horrible acquisition. Does answering a hard hit with a hit of your own and then fighting one of the bad men in the nhl have a corsi measure
??...hmmmm.

It's 2020.

Actual hockey ability is infinitely more important than fighting or hitting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
totally random but i'll take Kenny Albert over Doc Emrick any day. the nationally televised games are so much more tolerable when i don't have to hear Doc try and explain a random bottom 6 player's entire hockey background in the time it takes to get through the neutral zone.

Eddie O gotta go though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fighting and hitting have their value, but as part of an entire package of skills and used judiciously.

In games like these (and the playoffs) you need tough players, but toughness is as much about taking a hit to make a play (the Braun clear when he knew he was going to get plastered) as delivering one. Or going to the net to set a screen for a teammate and taking punishment.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Laughton did have one really bad play, that drop pass that went the other way for a goal, a no-no in any situation, but especially protecting a lead when you can just dump it deep.

I'm not sure his scoring is sustainable, but seems I wasn't crazy when I suggested he could be a 20 goal scorer at LW. That line is playing too good to break up, and Hayes seems to have finally settled in, he can really skate for a big man, not so much straight line speed, but a guy that size shouldn't be able to consistently deke defenders, and like Voracek, he knows how to use his body to protect the puck.

So I see Farabee with Grant and Pitlick, which isn't a bad thing, speed on the wings and a big, smart center between them. No, Frost should not replace Grant at 3C for the playoff run, he'd have been roadkill last night.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I was rock hard pretty much the entire time Myers and Sanheim were on the ice.

Also, saw Laughton getting praised for having a good game. I thought it was one of his worst. I appreciated him mixing it up physically with what was happening, but it resulted in a lot of poor decisions and he even got away with some non-calls. IIRC he also made a poor pass that resulted in the goal that made it 3-2.

Speaking of that. I am really glad the Caps scored there. A lot of the games during the streak have just been a steamrolling effort from the Flyers. Caps scoring there and pressuring hard the next shift showed an extra element that had been missing for a bit and really had the team on their heels. Their response to that part of this game was the most impressive thing to me. They'll need that for the spring (and summer?)

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
Wiilson is tough, but he also goes "Rinaldo" stupid, part of being effectively tough is to pick your spots, avoid late hits that draw penalties, and don't get drawn into fights against less talented players that take you off the ice for half a period in a key game.
him losing it at times all part of his allure. Take him any day of the week.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's 2020.

Actual hockey ability is infinitely more important than fighting or hitting.

FarflungPhysicalKronosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Should have carried those two off the ice.

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Hell of a game. I love this team. I hope we didn’t peak too early in the season. But If they continue like this, they are going to go rounds in the playoffs. This is the most excited I have been in years about the Flyers. Feels good
:cheers:

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I still don't prefer Laughts in TOP6. He is bottom-six player for me still. But until he scores, thats OK. But he has sh% about 18% right? It will go down one day probably..

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Wilson is dumb AF. Would not take him on the team just because he plays with an edge. He delivers too many questionable hits, takes dumb penalties, and has low hockey IQ

Last edited:

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
So... late hits that cause you to be in the penalty box and fighting lesser players so that you're in the penalty box is part of the Wilson's allure?

I just want to make sure that I have this correct.
if that's what you take out of that statement then that's your take.

fighting lesser players? tell me who he is supposed to fight that he doesn't? His late hits are overblown imo. Has he had some, yes not saying he hasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad