Post-Game Talk: #66: FLYERS 5 at Capitals 2, Wednesday, Mar. 4, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
SPORTSNET GOING OFF ON HOW TOM WILSON WENT "SLAPSHOT" ON US LAST NIGHT ..."BEATING GUYS UP"..."RUNNING AROUND"...BASICALLY INTIMIDATING US AND KICKING OUR ASSES. ALSO SAYING HOW GREAT HE IS AND HOW TEAMS HAVE TO GAMEPLAN FOR HIM..

THEN THE QUESTION WAS ASKED IF "ARE THE FLYERS A LEGITIMATE STANLEY CUP THREAT?"...ANSWERS WERE "SECOND TIER" AND "1b" "AFTER THE BIG TEAMS"

fine. I want to be counted out. Love being the underdog

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
Tom Wilson is a pathetic goon who could actually be a decent player if he wasn't too busy trying to end peoples careers.

Christ he's pathetic. Glorified Rinaldo.
More like glorified Carcillo. Rinaldo never really showed skill at any level. Carcillo at times at least show he has some ability.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
More like glorified Carcillo. Rinaldo never really showed skill at any level. Carcillo at times at least show he has some ability.

Carcillo had some great hands before he broke them multiple times over.

I mean, up until the end of 2012... with mainly 4th line minutes:

310gp, 38g, 84pts

10g, 22p per 82 games... that is pretty much as much as you can ask for for a 4th liner scoring wise in those minutes.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean... if we could go back in time and get ~1995-02 Chris Simon I would be down.

The ~40 games a year he would not be suspended would be so damn fun. And he would likely score ~20 points in those 40 games!

Reactions: rinaldo

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I remember that. the point was that some folks couldn't stand Nate Thompson in the lineup. It was a matter of time before he started playing better or did something stand up like he did last night. some of the Corsi lovers are reluctant to acknowledge intangibles.

We have the most skilled and least "intangibles" team we have had in a decade and guess what its the best team in a decade.

Keep getting a hard on for Nate Thompson getting into a scrap where he doesn't even do that well. Wilson literally took a run at our captain even though big impact Thompson stood up to him.

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
We have the most skilled and least "intangibles" team we have had in a decade and guess what its the best team in a decade.

Keep getting a hard on for Nate Thompson getting into a scrap where he doesn't even do that well. Wilson literally took a run at our captain even though big impact Thompson stood up to him.
Another bright light. I'll dumb it down for ya, you need ltitle of everything to be successful. Thompson would be popular in the room and guys appreciate having some balls in the lineup. It appears it might be lost on you but that's ok, he is going to play and you are going to have to get used to it.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Actually I think this team has lots of intangibles. We have a solid leadership group, the right mix of experience and youth, Giroux's drive and his fire, TK getting under opponents skin, Hayes' goofiness, Niskanen's Stanley Cup experience.

This all adds to the team's chemistry. You need personalities, players that like playing together. TK acting like a troll on the ice isn't just entertaining. It makes a team bond.

Reactions: BrokenStix

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Brashear for me.

Though if are are time machining, Lindros.

Loved Brashear. But Simon was for a few years a legit high end 3rd liner/low end 2nd liner who just terrified everyone.

But Lindros was only a step below those guys as a pugilist (he actually has best ever fight win % of guys over ~40 fights) and also a small step below Crosby level talent offensively (while being better defensively.)

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Loved Brashear. But Simon was for a few years a legit high end 3rd liner/low end 2nd liner who just terrified everyone.

But Lindros was only a step below those guys as a pugilist (he actually has best ever fight win % of guys over ~40 fights) and also a small step below Crosby level talent offensively (while being better defensively.)
Was Lindros really a good fighter though? I think he was just stronger than most.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Washington really misses niskanen. Holy crap that was a big loss for them and it is showing. Might not be a huge difference but it shows that they can't rely on anyone other than carlson, orlov.

that trade blew my mind. Getting a reliable top four rhd for some cap retention on a borderline 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing rhd was great. He really settled down our top 4.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Was Lindros really a good fighter though? I think he was just stronger than most.

He threw both handed, could tie guys up, almost never fell.

And also beat some pretty tough customers.

A lot of guys are strong... but he had considerable skill in that area to be able to consistently maul people and knock guys out.

I still think his KO (and broken face) of Thornton (another big, strong guy who was not a "bad" fighter and scared of very few players) when he was not even supposed to fight might have been one of the things that made Thornton change his playing style and not be the bullish, physical, net and slot guy he was in his early career.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019

simon was a very underrated hockey player imo. Was a player i always thought would end up back on the flyers at some point.

Sandy Mcarthy was another very solid tough guy.

Reactions: Appleyard

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Actually I think this team has lots of intangibles. We have a solid leadership group, the right mix of experience and youth, Giroux's drive and his fire, TK getting under opponents skin, Hayes' goofiness, Niskanen's Stanley Cup experience.

This all adds to the team's chemistry. You need personalities, players that like playing together. TK acting like a troll on the ice isn't just entertaining. It makes a team bond.

I agree. It's a super tight team with tons of swagger. But it's only relevant because of those players talents.

The those sort of personalities dont represent the stereotypical "intangibles" hockey guy like Mac, VdV etc.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Another bright light. I'll dumb it down for ya, you need ltitle of everything to be successful. Thompson would be popular in the room and guys appreciate having some balls in the lineup. It appears it might be lost on you but that's ok, he is going to play and you are going to have to get used to it.

You're argument is we need a guy that's popular in the room on this incredibly tight team? You somehow know he will be popular?

This is a roster chalk full of good character players that all stand up for each other. There are also tons of guys that have balls. They haven't gotten pushed around at all this year. They have tons of fight in their game.

Or do you just come from that age where your skill players can't have grit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad