65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
It's absolutely terrible lol. Ruck is going to get angry, and I will take it, but it is just awful.
One does not get angry with children. Tired, exhausted, frustrated, temperamental, all of these and others. But not angry, for children know not what they do, and lest the anger be enveloped into their being, an adult will teach children through other means, fostering the growth of a well adjusted, and well balanced child.

You are wrong, Orville is good. While I'd put the Expanse over Orville 9 out of 10 times, for being a show that takes place in space, the Orville is going for a different market, and executing well on what was expected from a self-avowed Trekkie, and the creator of Family Guy.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I've seen maybe six episodes of the Orville and would like to watch more. The thing is that I think the show would be much better off without the lame semi-edgy comedy. If Seth can't go all-out nuts then he should not bother at all because without it the show would easily slot right in with the Star Trek universe and possibly be better then the last few actual Star Trek series if they kept it up. I never thought a Seth MacFarlane show would be able to handle hot topic issues like gender reassignment surgery with actual grace and not be all "gross bro" about it but they pulled it off. While Seth's other shows try to be subversive in the name of humor, this show seems to be subversively serious because everyone expected the worst.

Reactions: Hakroach

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I've seen maybe six episodes of the Orville and would like to watch more. The thing is that I think the show would be much better off without the lame semi-edgy comedy. If Seth can't go all-out nuts then he should not bother at all because without it the show would easily slot right in with the Star Trek universe and possibly be better then the last few actual Star Trek series if they kept it up. I never thought a Seth MacFarlane show would be able to handle hot topic issues like gender reassignment surgery with actual grace and not be all "gross bro" about it but they pulled it off. While Seth's other shows try to be subversive in the name of humor, this show seems to be subversively serious because everyone expected the worst.
Some humor is expected, it's not the completely sophomoric that people associate with Seth, but for it to have no humor wouldn't be his voice, and for it to be any more over the top, those sensitive subjects the show broaches would be done a disservice. It's not as if every Star Trek before hand was void of humor, but the ratio is definitely flipped between the heavy & the light.

Edit- The Orville = Futurama. It is great unto itself, and people panned it in the beginning because it wasn't Family Guy:Simpsons that the creator was pigeonholed into. Consider it for it's own merits without a bias and it's a good show. Looks visually attractive, generally good acting, diverse characters with accessible motivations, pertinent plot topics that reflect real life. The subjects are realistic, while the setting is fantastic, the basis for a great story telling vehicle.

Reactions: Hakroach

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Some humor is expected, it's not the completely sophomoric that people associate with Seth, but for it to have no humor wouldn't be his voice, and for it to be any more over the top, those sensitive subjects the show broaches would be done a disservice. It's not as if every Star Trek before hand was void of humor, but the ratio is definitely flipped between the heavy & the light.

Edit- The Orville = Futurama. It is great unto itself, and people panned it in the beginning because it wasn't Family Guy:Simpsons that the creator was pigeonholed into. Consider it for it's own merits without a bias and it's a good show. Looks visually attractive, generally good acting, diverse characters with accessible motivations, pertinent plot topics that reflect real life. The subjects are realistic, while the setting is fantastic, the basis for a great story telling vehicle.
I just find the fratboy actions of some of the crew jarring when compared to the rest of the crew. Maybe it's just a few characters like the pilot being overly annoying to me. It's like they're in a different show from the rest of the cast tonally and just seems forced. Trek definitely had humor but it it usually didn't get any more crass than Quark's antics and he usually got slapped down hard anyway. Or perhaps Barclay's holodeck programs. :laugh: I don't think anyone of them would hump statues in public for fun though.

Like I said, I've only seen a few episodes but so far I like the stories a lot more than some of the attempted humor, which still surprises me. Regardless it's worth checking it out if you're a Trek fan.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I just find the fratboy actions of some of the crew jarring when compared to the rest of the crew. Maybe it's just a few characters like the pilot being overly annoying to me. It's like they're in a different show from the rest of the cast tonally and just seems forced. Trek definitely had humor but it it usually didn't get any more crass than Quark's antics and he usually got slapped down hard anyway. Or perhaps Barclay's holodeck programs. :laugh: I don't think anyone of them would hump statues in public for fun though.

Like I said, I've only seen a few episodes but so far I like the stories a lot more than some of the attempted humor, which still surprises me. Regardless it's worth checking it out if you're a Trek fan.
The pilot is that character, for better or worse. He's the send-up to the expected comedy Seth is associated with. But in some episodes he still comes across as a real person. Issac is a great Data clone, Bortus = Worf. The 2nd in command is Major Kira'ish. Their doctor is a sexy single mother just like Dr. Crusher. It wasn't a reboot, even though Seth went to CBS first asking for permission to actually make a Star Trek show, they said no, so he went back to Fox and made this. If it were at CBS, the humor tone in actual Starfleet uniforms would probably be different.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I think Striiker needs one of these.

U-Crying-Closet-620x370.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad