65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Oh my god. Abducted in Plain Sight on Netflix. What. The. Hell.

For real.

This is probably going to come off as incredibly ignorant, intolerant, or prejudiced, so forgive me if it is, it's just what personal experiences have led me to believe. But I saw the description for the movie, as well as a article from a few days ago on barstool that recapped what happened in the documentary, and I thought to myself about "how gullible and naiive would you have to be to allow this to happen, twice, and allow this guy to keep contacting you, your family, your daughter, your wife." And for whatever reason thought they have to be Mormon's, there's no way they aren't. And 5 minutes into the documentary, they meet the guy at a Church of Latter Day Saints.

My uncle is Mormon, and he just exemplifies what I would think of as a typical Mormon. He's the type of person that believes every get rich quick scheme he sees. In the 90s he'd be the guy buying into the cases of knives you could buy so you could go sell them to other people. Today, hes the same guy that clicks the link for the "I made 5000$ a month living at home and doing absolutely nothing". Hes been married 6 times, never for more than a year, and always ends up as the one kicked out of the house he bought with the person. When he wasn't living with his wives for a few months, he never moved out of his mothers basement. He's almost 60 years old and still lives there today. His most stable job is a janitor at a school that he seemingly takes on and off again. He obsesses over Lord of the Rings and Mormonism. I don't visit him ever anymore, but when I did when I was younger, I vividly recall a 2 year period where we would visit my grandmother and he would spend the entire time we were there pounding leather or linking chain mail for a costume he was making to replicate a suit of armor Aragorn wore in the movie, never so much as said hi to anyone unless you asked him about what he was doing. His other obsession, Mormonism, is just as bad. His facebook is just littered with everything Mormon, their apostles teachings, whatever is happening with the church, which is not wrong in of itself, having a strong faith is common to a lot of people. However this goes beyond that it's total obsession, there's a certain... I don't know just something off about it. I don't think that Mormonism or Religion for that matter is wrong or bad at all. I don't think that the world needs religion anymore, and I do think it would be better off without it, but that's beyond the point. I feel like to be a Mormon requires a certain amount of obsession, and gullibility to function. I feel like the average person would question the practices that Mormons buy into completely and thus would totally disqualify themselves from being Mormon. I was raised Catholic, there have always and forever will be people that go to mass only on Christmas and Easter, and basically ignore their religion otherwise. As far as I know you can't be Mormon and be half "in" like that. The underwear my uncle wears apparently can only be gotten from a special church in Washington DC or something like that, you can't drink soda, or alcohol etc. I just I don't know how to describe it without sounding hurtful, but I just feel like to be a practitioner of Mormonism, you just have to be so gullible and naive and so willing to just buy in to whatever is being told to you that this story just resonated with me as, yea, they are 100% mormon without even knowing it first off.

Sorry for the long story. I wanted to comment some thoughts about it, and then felt I had to explain myself. Someone will probably get upset and accuse me of being racist (yes I know its not a race I just can't think of a better word for it) against Mormons. But I genuinely just shared my thoughts here simply to see if there were others who shared that opinion and cared to discuss it at all, or to see if I could garner a response dispelling my theory regarding Mormonism and the amount of gullibility that it seems to me is required to be a believer. Which isn't really just my thoughts on Mormonism but religion as a whole, I just find Mormons to generally be more gullible and naive than others. They just seem to lack the ability to be skeptical or the ability to ponder or question peoples motives in some cases.

EDIT, it dawned on me that this may not be something that the mods deem appropriate for the forums here. If not apologies and please delete.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I refuse to watch that Abducted documentary based solely on how everyone is describing it. I cant handle that level of stupidity.

Reactions: Danko

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I have seen enough scary/disturbing movies/shows to fill the Grand Canyon. I enjoy some but don't watch as many as I used to.

What I can't watch is anything with children. Ever since I became a parent, it eliminated that. There is the odd exception like the 1st season of True Detective but I really can't these days. "Abducted in plain sight" is an easy pass for me.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I have seen enough scary/disturbing movies/shows to fill the Grand Canyon. I enjoy some but don't watch as many as I used to.

What I can't watch is anything with children. Ever since I became a parent, it eliminated that. There is the odd exception like the 1st season of True Detective but I really can't these days. "Abducted in plain sight" is an easy pass for me.

Im watching sesson one now. Goddamn there is some f***ed up shit in that show.
Starting to watch Goliath season 2 as well

Reactions: Outlaw Samurai

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just watched Abducted in plain sight.
Yeah

What
The
f***

So messed up on so many levels. This family letting that sick f*** into their lives. Red flags are going up all over the place and the family just had blinders on. He manipulated everyone.
I would of blown his head off after the first abduction if I am the father.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Just watched Abducted in plain sight.
Yeah

What
The

So messed up on so many levels. This family letting that sick **** into their lives. Red flags are going up all over the place and the family just had blinders on. He manipulated everyone.
I would of blown his head off after the first abduction if I am the father.

Dude. How does the father do everything he did and let everything that happened around him happen. Absolutely bonkers

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
On a lighter note, The Orville- this is the Star Trek we deserved, and while it is very funny, the spirit is so on point to the original, the paywall CBS "Discovery" is crap on a crap cracker.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
On a lighter note, The Orville- this is the Star Trek we deserved, and while it is very funny, the spirit is so on point to the original, the paywall CBS "Discovery" is crap on a crap cracker.

I'm gonna have to check out The Orville. I'm hearing good things.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm gonna have to check out The Orville. I'm hearing good things.
Episodic, but there are over arching story lines. It is funny, the comedy is very present and up front. The sentiment, especially from the TNG series, there's character development galore in the show. Plus, I'd only say there's been one sub-par actor, but it's a new cast member just introduced to the show.

Casting and acting as been way way on point. Effects and visuals are excellent.

Reactions: Rebels57

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Got my nintendo switch a few days ago...love this thing. Playing Super Mario U at the moment, also got the switch online which gives you access to the classic games.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Got my nintendo switch a few days ago...love this thing. Playing Super Mario U at the moment, also got the switch online which gives you access to the classic games.

Heard Mario Odyssey and Zelda are both amazing.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Episodic, but there are over arching story lines. It is funny, the comedy is very present and up front. The sentiment, especially from the TNG series, there's character development galore in the show. Plus, I'd only say there's been one sub-par actor, but it's a new cast member just introduced to the show.

Casting and acting as been way way on point. Effects and visuals are excellent.

I've heard violently mixed reviews from trusted sources for both Orville and Discovery. I don't have time to straight up watch all these things damnit, I need everyone on the same page to make choices easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad