65th Obsequious Banter Thread: Where everyone gets a passing grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Absolutely. I may have been facetious with the titles I chose though. ;)

But I also don’t consider 90s westerns “old.” And I’m a ****ing millennial ****.
Oh, you mistook my post then. It's ok, I was taking the piss out of you. Those movies suck. I too am a millennial, i'm indifferent to the 90s. Those movies are ass though.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh, you mistook my post then. It's ok, I was taking the piss out of you. Those movies suck. I too am a millennial, i'm indifferent to the 90s. Those movies are ass though.

90s had Unforgiven, Back to the Future III, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Thunderheart, etc. I think most decades have their share of great westerns, but it’s indeed a dying genre that tends to spit out movies in random intervals. The early 90s were where all the great ones occurred that decade, I reckon.

Then mid-late 00s snuck some masterpieces and good ones in: There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, The Proposition, 3:10 to Yuma, Deadwood (TV), Assassination of Jesse James, True Grit, Brokeback. A lot of dark, revisionist ones. Probably the best period since the peak 50-70s. Obviously, Tarantino twice gave it a go this decade. They don’t feel quite so clumped this decade though. Hell and High Water is one that comes out mind that’s recent. I somehow haven’t seen The Revenant but that too from what I gather.

I feel like it can be universally agreed that the 80s was THE worst decade for westerns. What do we have? Silverado.....and uhhh?

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Anyone that says The Searchers is the best western ever, as it often is in critics lists, is full of horse shit, as I see it. Good, at times great, movie — and John Ford is a helluva director and any western fan should watch a handful of his best ones for sure (and if you’ve seen a John Wayne western you probably already have) — but overrated. The cheesy elements often don’t hold up that well.

Honestly, my favorite classic Hollywood studio era western is probably Shane.

Same.

Finally watched "A Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More".

Hopefully you’ve already seen the final one in the trilogy. If not, get cracking, sonny.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
I've also decided that Arcade Fire is the best band on the planet. They aren't my favorite band, as i prefer to listen to a few other bands, but they are the best band on the planet.

I made that decision for all of us. I care about you guys, and i want you to be on the right side of my history, which is my opinion.

Arcade Fire= Greatest band on the planet.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
90s had Unforgiven, Back to the Future III, Tombstone, Dances with Wolves, Thunderheart, etc. I think most decades have their share of great westerns, but it’s indeed a dying genre that tends to spit out movies in random intervals. The early 90s were where all the great ones occurred that decade, I reckon.

Then mid-late 00s snuck some masterpieces and good ones in: There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, The Proposition, 3:10 to Yuma, Deadwood (TV), Assassination of Jesse James, True Grit, Brokeback. A lot of dark, revisionist ones. Probably the best period since the peak 50-70s. Obviously, Tarantino twice gave it a go this decade. They don’t feel quite so clumped this decade though. Hell and High Water is one that comes out mind that’s recent. I somehow haven’t seen The Revenant but that too from what I gather.

I feel like it can be universally agreed that the 80s was THE worst decade for westerns. What do we have? Silverado.....and uhhh?
:nod:

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
I've also decided that Arcade Fire is the best band on the planet. They aren't my favorite band, as i prefer to listen to a few other bands, but they are the best band on the planet.

I made that decision for all of us. I care about you guys, and i want you to be on the right side of my history, which is my opinion.

Arcade Fire= Greatest band on the planet.
Who the f*** is Arcade Fries?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hopefully you’ve already seen the final one in the trilogy. If not, get cracking, sonny.

Yeah, I actually watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly first because I didn’t even know about the other movies, so now I finally went back and watched them.

Although I was pretty confused because when I heard it was a trilogy I expected the movies to be connected in the same timeline, not just be the same main character. Actors being re-used for different roles was really confusing before I realized the movies weren’t actually related. Also that the last one was actually a prequel apparently?

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

If the bolded is your threshold, you can probably throw the mid 80s Eastwood version of Shane whose name I can never remember in there.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I think the only 80's western I've seen is Young Guns. We're in the spirit world, asshole!

I have the Dollars trilogy and The Magnificent Seven on disk so it's not like I'm completely out of the loop on the genre, although I was a late starter.

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
Silverado is a great '80's western.
Also I would not classify some of the movies listed by other as "westerns" per se. Most have the classic tropes of a western (Hell...Star Wars has some as well), but in my mind a western is a movie that takes place in the period of the so-called "old west"
Just my humble opinion. YMMV

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Anyone that says The Searchers is the best western ever, as it often is in critics lists, is full of horse ****, as I see it. Good, at times great, movie — and John Ford is a helluva director and any western fan should watch a handful of his best ones for sure (and if you’ve seen a John Wayne western you probably already have) — but overrated. The cheesy elements often don’t hold up that well.

Honestly, my favorite classic Hollywood studio era western is probably Shane.

Some of my favorites are "Tie A Yellow Ribbon," "The Outlaw Jose Wales," "A Fistful of Dollars," "Once Upon a Time in the West" and a bunch more that I am forgetting. But definitely at the top are "Tombstone" and the original, "My Darling Clementine" - I am a total sucker for Val Kilmer in that film, he was so ****ing great. And "Deadwood" is the greatest show in TV history.

Not generally a fan of revisionist anything.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Silverado is a great '80's western.
Also I would not classify some of the movies listed by other as "westerns" per se. Most have the classic tropes of a western (Hell...Star Wars has some as well), but in my mind a western is a movie that takes place in the period of the so-called "old west"
Just my humble opinion. YMMV

Actually, the "Lone Ranger" movie from around 1981 was really good too, way better than you would expect. I haven't watched it probably since the 80s though, so I don't know if it holds up at all.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad