Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Norlinder imo has the highest upside for our D prospects. Caufield does have question marks. Romanov feels like a sure fire top 4 guy but Norlinder has All-Star skill. Lets hope it translates.

I’d say Struble has higher potential because he can play in every situation. Pretty certain Norlinder won’t ever play the PK in the NHL. Just my opinion.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’d say Struble has higher potential because he can play in every situation. Pretty certain Norlinder won’t ever play the PK in the NHL. Just my opinion.

He might.. he's a really smooth skater and has a very good stick defensively. That is pretty important in today's NHL on the PK.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019

thank for the share man, I really like Norlinder. I think that he is a little bit soft, but maybe it is just due to the league he is playing in. The tempo is slow in the Allsvenskan and there is not a lot of physical play. What I really like is his ability to move the puck and distributes it in the neutral zone. In the O-zone, it feels like he is a general out there. Can’t wait to see him in the SHL

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I have Norlinder as having the higher upside among our D prospects because of how well he can shoot the puck, he looks like a forward back there. I rank Romanov just above him since he's a safe bet to be a solid NHLer, has a great defensive game and brings the physical game. It was a case of not knowing what Romanov's true offensive upside is vs Norlinder being a late bloomer that hasn't faced a higher level of competition yet.

Struble could easily end up the best or the worst of the bunch as there is just so little to go off right now but the tools he has there's just no telling how good this kid could be. If he doesn't have much issue with IQ and defensive play, man this kid could be a freaking beast.

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
I have Norlinder as having the higher upside among our D prospects because of how well he can shoot the puck, he looks like a forward back there. I rank Romanov just above him since he's a safe bet to be a solid NHLer, has a great defensive game and brings the physical game. It was a case of not knowing what Romanov's true offensive upside is vs Norlinder being a late bloomer that hasn't faced a higher level of competition yet.

Struble could easily end up the best or the worst of the bunch as there is just so little to go off right now but the tools he has there's just no telling how good this kid could be. If he doesn't have much issue with IQ and defensive play, man this kid could be a freaking beast.
I agree with everything you said. Next year will be so important for Norlinder.

Reactions: montreal

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario

Talk about three solid swings at getting a quality LHD. Not to mention Harris and Fairbrother

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Talk about three solid swings at getting a quality LHD. Not to mention Harris and Fairbrother

for sure plus most can play RD. I'm higher on Harris then most, he's a guy that so far has been improving each year by a good amount so if he keeps that up then we really got something there. People are impressed with Struble but Harris was way better in his Freshman year and both came from the Northeastern USHS prep league, both were just turning 18 before the season started (within a few months) of course Harris doesn't have the physical tools of Struble in mass and strength but he's got the IQ and poise that most players can only dream of. The big question is where is his offensive upside especially if he doesn't improve his strength a good bit.

I do like Fairbrother a good bit and think he would be talked about more if not for us being so deep in D prospects. Plus him getting injured didn't help but assuming Laval has a season next year and he plays, it's going to be a lot of fun seeing him, Brook, Fleury assuming he's there, as half our blueline would be from the dub. I wish I had gotten to see more of him, there's a lot to like but question how high the upside is.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Mattias Norlinder: "You always want to be the top defender and play in every situation"

Norlinder has gained almost 8 kg (17.5 lbs) since last summer, weighing in at around 88 kg.

“The main difference is that it has been more training sessions compared to Modo, the sessions have been tougher as well. We have practiced hard with Modo too, but this was another step forward, and that was something I was prepared for. Getting the new exercises right made the first week interesting, but it made for a good start.”

“I'm super happy with the club. I haven’t spoken to [Frölunda head coach] Rönnberg about my role with the team. You want to make sure to make the team. It’s a boring answer, but I've focused so much on the offseason training so I haven’t really thought about personal goals for next season.” Still, it’s clear that the young defender has his eyes set on a big role. “You always want to be the top defender and play in every situation. You should always have those goals, if it turns out that way is something we’ll see in the future. You've to believe in yourself, but you've to allow yourself to dream a bit too.”

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#RonnbergonNorlinder(20/04/16)

Ronnberg compared Dahlin and Norlinder, noting that they both have the same mental approach. He outlines the development and role that he'll have in one of the best teams in Sweden for the upcoming two years.

“I love the mindset that they're playing hockey with. They're competitive, they want to win with the team, they do everything they can to help their team to win hockey games.”

“I've high expectations on the young kid,” but I also wants people to know that it'll take some time. He can take another step to eventually be a top defender for us.”

Podcast (Audio) : Habs Eyes In The Prize - The Dispatch: Frölunda's coach Roger Rönnberg on Montreal Canadiens prospect Mattias Norlinder (20/04/16)

Reactions: montreal

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He basically is a 4th foward on the ice, he constantly jump in the rush and wants to make a difference, reminds me alot of a young Erik Karlsson in that rergard...

he was doing that in the first half of the season but in the 2nd half he was barely jumping into the rush, it was a massive shift, I don't know if the injury had something to do with it though.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Feel like he'd have more flexibility and space to maneuver coming from the backend. Plus his defense as a whole isn't a weekness. He's great on the rush defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad