Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
can't read it but yeah. Still early but it's hard to ignore what he's done so far. Man I hope he can just keep improving. We desperately need a D like him. Less pressure on Brook and Romanov to be saviours back there.

it's unclear what the offensive ceilings of Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, and Struble will be. Norlinder's looks high. I just hope he can play defense as well.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
That's true. I just haven't heard of left handed D not being able to play the left side. Benn is the only one that many thought was better on the right. He's the only one I've heard of. Coming into the league, Sergachev said he prefered playing the right, but Tampa have him on the left.

Also, I think a very high percentage of our D prospects will make it. Our D prospect pool may not end up having an elite D. But I'm pretty sure at least 6, if not more, of those D prospects are NHLers. Mete, Juulsen, and Fleury have already shown they'll be NHLers if healthy. Romanov and Brook are pretty close to can't miss. Norlinder, Harris, and Struble are quite hyped.

I always thought Gorges looked better on the right side too, other than the stint on PK’s left.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
can't read it but yeah. Still early but it's hard to ignore what he's done so far. Man I hope he can just keep improving. We desperately need a D like him. Less pressure on Brook and Romanov to be saviours back there.
I like how sometime he's the first one to leave the defensive zone . You would think that it's a very risky play , but no , the way he does it is curiously safe because of his great anticipation .

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
it's unclear what the offensive ceilings of Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, and Struble will be. Norlinder's looks high. I just hope he can play defense as well.

sounds like he can. saw some nice D plays he made. Think I heard he's a tiny bit shaky at times.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Norlinder has covered the wrong player... He must examine all of his options before taking a decision.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
I see he's got 6 goals already.

Does he score with a heavy shot?
It's more sliding/skating into high danger areas and letting off a quick snapper.
Off the top of my head at least 1 of the goals was with a nice slapper from the point.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Not interested in all his toe dragging . That doesn't translate into the NHL. But it's everything else that's so impressive. He's got great instincts and skating ability. I'd love to see him in the best competition in a developmental league where all the B.S. is eliminated and defenders are not pylons.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Learning défense is the easy part.....there’s also Fairbrother and LeGuerrier......I’m confident at least 3 of these players will make the big time, maybe 4, or more......

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Learning défense is the easy part.....there’s also Fairbrother and LeGuerrier......I’m confident at least 3 of these players will make the big time, maybe 4, or more......

Mete, Fleury, Juulsen (if healthy) are pretty much 90% sure to make it. That's 3 already.

Romanov and Brook are high end prospects.

I think at least 1 of Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Fairbrother, and leguerrier will make it.

I'm pretty confident in at least 6 making it. If I had to predict a single number (no greater than, or less than, or at least) I bet on 7:

Mete, Fleury, Juulsen, Romanov, Brook,
plus 2 of Norlinder, Struble, Harris, Fairbrother, and leguerrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The SHL its their first division? And the Allvenskan its their second division?

Pettersson was in the Allsvenskan league for parts of 2 seasons at 17 and 18. It's a great development league and a stepping block to the SHL. Norlinder is 19 so he's one year behind but I believe he had an injury last year which is part of the reason why he slipped in the draft

Reactions: dralaf

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
no, he scores by being ultra aggressive in the offensive zone, he jumps into the play a lot and has some slick hands to stickhandle and fire wrist shots.

Going to make a name for himself at the WJC like Romanov did last year IMO. The kid has complete game and his offensive skills are top notch for a D prospect.

Very possible that Norlinder might be our best prospect on D.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Going to make a name for himself at the WJC like Romanov did last year IMO. The kid has complete game and his offensive skills are top notch for a D prospect.

Very possible that Norlinder might be our best prospect on D.

If he makes it, it's going to be very tough unless we get some luck and one of the NHL teams don't lend one of their players. I'm looking at the hawks with Boqvist, he just scored his 1st NHL goal and hopefully they feel he doesn't need to go back vs playing in the NHL.

I am almost done my rankings so you'll see how much I agree with you.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We may easily be set at RD for the next 15 years with Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, and Norlinder.

How many teams can say that?

Does Norlinder play RD in the NHL? He is a left handed shot and I have heard he is playing RD at times? So did Brook. I have Norlinder as a LD prospect.

But yeah, I do like the RD potential but I want more options like we have on the LD side. LW is a big hole too.

I honestly don't care about other teams anymore. I want us to have our own strategy that others try to copy us on

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Does Norlinder play RD in the NHL? He is a left handed shot and I have heard he is playing RD at times? So did Brook. I have Norlinder as a LD prospect.

But yeah, I do like the RD potential but I want more options like we have on the LD side. LW is a big hole too.

I honestly don't care about other teams anymore. I want us to have our own strategy that others try to copy us on

I have only seen Norlinder play RD so I can't speak to his play at LD. Brook I don't see as someone that can play both sides equally as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a good pick in terms of going after a high ceiling guy. Norlinder's offensive game is top notch for a 19 year old. Skating, vision, size, shot are all very good but can he figure out the reliability challenge when it comes to being a NHL defenseman. Only time will tell. I would rather have him play in Europe for 1 or two more years to delay his ELC where he starts in the NHL at 21 or 22 ish. Same with Romanov, let him sign for 2 years in the KHL.

Reactions: Plekatorz

Plekatorz

Jun 6, 2019
Man, he is filthy....hope he can translate that kind of play in NA. He will be a much needed addition on our left side next year or the other (probably 2021-2022).

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad