Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jumps into the play in tje offensize zone ?

All I know is Julien and his ilk of coach better be gone by the time that kid comes over here, or you can forget about him.

Because Julien stops Mete, Petry, and Kulak from jumping into the offensive zone, right? Or even more defensive d-men like Weber and Chiarot jump into the play.

It's such a false narrative.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This guy is rocking the Caufield stat line of 6+1 for 7 points. Obviously in a bunch more games, but what a crazy ratio for a defenceman.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's got some odd TOI this season, from his 2nd game on in order from oldest to today.

11:40
14:59
20:40
15:30
10:56
25:02
17:33
15:40
19:39
16:24
20:42

so in his last 11 games he's been over 19 mins 4 times, he's been under 15 mins 3 times, and in 12 games now he's just over 16 mins average.

canadiensnation

Jun 11, 2011
GTA
He's got some odd TOI this season, from his 2nd game on in order from oldest to today.

11:40 (18)
14:59 (21)
20:40 (27)
15:30 (23)
10:56 (17)
25:02 (31)
17:33 (27)
15:40 (24)
19:39 (28)
16:24 (25)
20:42 (27)

so in his last 11 games he's been over 19 mins 4 times, he's been under 15 mins 3 times, and in 12 games now he's just over 16 mins average.

Interesting shift count as well...all over the map. Usually, the shift count is more or less reflective of time on ice.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015

11:40
14:59
20:40
15:30
10:56
25:02
17:33
15:40
19:39
16:24
20:42

Even if it’s not the NHL he’s still a teenager playing in a professional mens league. However it does look like his ice time is trending up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even if it’s not the NHL he’s still a teenager playing in a professional mens league. However it does look like his ice time is trending up.

he's paired with a former NHLer and is leading the league in goals for all defensemen, so you would just think he would be playing a little more consistent time. His TOI since the big game of 25 mins has been on the decline since then.

Just thought it was odd how much his TOI varies.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
he's paired with a former NHLer and is leading the league in goals for all defensemen, so you would just think he would be playing a little more consistent time. His TOI since the big game of 25 mins has been on the decline since then.

Just thought it was odd how much his TOI varies.
Probably due to special teams. Is he on the PK?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Probably due to special teams. Is he on the PK?

I only saw one game and he wasn't on the PK in that one but it was a 5-0 blowout and the game was out of reach really early into so I don't know if that impacted the coaches plans or not.

It's not big deal though, just noticed it and thought I would post it as the numbers were kind of all over the place.

Reactions: DangerDave

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
jesus. he plays RD too? Romanov and Harris too?

in the 2 games I saw Norlinder was at RD. Romanov plays RD and Harris has played LD when Struble was out but I didn't see them since he returned. They have several home games coming up so I'll see a lot of them soon.

Romanov and Harris can play either side effectively, Norlinder I don't know as much about yet as his games aren't easy to get or cheap.

That's unfortunate. Going to have to trade one of our young righties for a true LD one of these years.

Perhaps, but these things have a way of working them selves out over time. I'm very comfortable with the future having Romanov and Harris at LD, just need that top pairing puck moving, high scoring blueliner which of course is going to be very difficult to get. That's not to say that someone couldn't develop into that but that we shouldn't expect it outside of a top 5 or so pick.

We could end up going a very very long time before we find that Markov replacement or they end up trading say Price or whoever and end up getting a much better return then expected or one of the LD's turns into a way better NHLer then expected. Who knows how it will play out, for now we just need to see the D prospects progress and improve.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Does he still play on the right side?
jesus. he plays RD too? Romanov and Harris too?
That's unfortunate. Going to have to trade one of our young righties for a true LD one of these years.

Just because he's been playing on the right side, doesn't mean he can't play the left also. It just means that's where they're playing him.

This is actually a really good thing. By my count, we have 7 LD prospects/young D in the system, but only 3 RD.
LD RD
RomanovBrook
MeteJuulsen
StrubleFleury
Norlinder
Harris
Fairbrother
LeGuerrier
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Just because he's been playing on the right side, doesn't mean he can't play the left also. It just means that's where they're playing him.

This is actually a really good thing. By my count, we have 7 LD prospects/young D in the system, but only 3 RD.
LD RD
RomanovBrook
MeteJuulsen
StrubleFleury
Norlinder
Harris
Fairbrother
LeGuerrier
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It isn’t ideal... half of these guy won’t make it. So if the LD that make it are more comfortable on the right side we are in trouble because we need guy on the LD

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It isn’t ideal... half of these guy won’t make it. So if the LD that make it are more comfortable on the right side we are in trouble because we need guy on the LD

How do you know he's more comfortable on the right side?

We need LD's today. But by the time these young guys are ready, say 2 years from now, will Weber be able to move? Will we re-sign Petry, who will be 34 in December of the first year of his new contract? How good will he be at 34? Good like Weber's good now at 34?

A lot of questions. I'm very happy it seems Norlinder can play both sides. It's not at all clear to me which side will be the side of need in 2 to 5 years when these guys will be about to approach their prime...

Reactions: SpeedyPotato

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Because Julien stops Mete, Petry, and Kulak from jumping into the offensive zone, right? Or even more defensive d-men like Weber and Chiarot jump into the play.

It's such a false narrative.[/QUOTE

I heard the same nonsense about Subban: that it was somehow his coach who was holding him back.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

That's good news actually. We got a few that can play both sides. I like the way things are shaping up in terms of potential.

We need LD's today. But by the time these young guys are ready, say 2 years from now, will Weber be able to move? Will we re-sign Petry, who will be 34 in December of the first year of his new contract? How good will he be at 34? Good like Weber's good now at 34?

A lot of questions. I'm very happy it seems Norlinder can play both sides. It's not at all clear to me which side will be the side of need in 2 to 5 years when these guys will be about to approach their prime...

It's a good thing we have a few that can play both sides. Brook, Norlinder, Romanov, Harris. Options create flexibility and who knows how good they will be.

By the time these prospects are NHL ready to take a top 4D role, our needs will change. Romanov being the most NHL ready of the group so he can help sooner rather than later.

I'm pretty sure the LD's that are comfortable playing RD can play LD if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dralaf

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

We need LD now and we are going to need LD and RD in the future. It isn’t only a few shift or games, a few of our LD are being played had RD so you develop some habits. I know a LD playing RD is able to play LD. But some guy prefer or are better playing on there off side or if you spend most of your formative years in your off side switching side a the NHL level might not be as easy for everyone even when your a good player.
It is great to have flexibility but not all these guy will play for us or reach the NHL so we might not have as much flexibility if everyone that make it prefer to be on the right side...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We need LD now and we are going to need LD and RD in the future. It isn’t only a few shift or games, a few of our LD are being played had RD so you develop some habits. I know a LD playing RD is able to play LD. But some guy prefer or are better playing on there off side or if you spend most of your formative years in your off side switching side a the NHL level might not be as easy for everyone even when your a good player.
It is great to have flexibility but not all these guy will play for us or reach the NHL so we might not have as much flexibility if everyone that make it prefer to be on the right side...

That's true. I just haven't heard of left handed D not being able to play the left side. Benn is the only one that many thought was better on the right. He's the only one I've heard of. Coming into the league, Sergachev said he prefered playing the right, but Tampa have him on the left.

Also, I think a very high percentage of our D prospects will make it. Our D prospect pool may not end up having an elite D. But I'm pretty sure at least 6, if not more, of those D prospects are NHLers. Mete, Juulsen, and Fleury have already shown they'll be NHLers if healthy. Romanov and Brook are pretty close to can't miss. Norlinder, Harris, and Struble are quite hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad