Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Norlinder should come to camp next year. Hes going to be in his D+3, just like Brook and Fleury are.

One thing is certain is that theres too many youngster's coming in. Theres a log jam at nearly every position and from a developmental stand point, its a nightmare.

C: Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Olofsson, Hillis, McShane
W: Caufield, Ylonen, Fonstad, Ikonen, Pitlick
LD: Romanov, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Mete, Norlinder, Leguerrier
RD: Juulsen, Fleury, Brook

Moves are needed to turn that quantity into quality. The team needs to take three or four of these assets and turn it into one elite player.

I don't know that a bunch of decent prospects get you an elite prospect. I think the way to go is trading vets for picks.

I just don't see any other way. Try to get a lottery pick or a prospect as in the Pacioretty trade., Stone trade.

If we had traded for Skinner last summer and then decided we didn't want to give him 9 million by the deadline, I think we could have gotten a lot for him - especially if let teams negotiate an extension. There are opportunities. We're just missing them. I also would have outbid for MoJo and Dzingle on two year deals, then traded them for 2nds after 1 year, to make room for Suzuki and Poehling NEXT year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't know that a bunch of decent prospects get you an elite prospect. I think the way to go is trading vets for picks.

I just don't see any other way. Try to get a lottery pick or a prospect as in the Pacioretty trade., Stone trade.

If we had traded for Skinner last summer and then decided we didn't want to give him 9 million by the deadline, I think we could have gotten a lot for him - especially if let teams negotiate an extension. There are opportunities. We're just missing them. I also would have outbid for MoJo and Dzingle on two year deals, then traded them for 2nds after 1 year, to make room for Suzuki and Poehling NEXT year.
More picks wont solve the problem... its just going to make it worse.

Petry, Tatar, Weber, Danault and the prospects need to be used to land that great defender or winger. Need a gamebreaking player.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Petry, Tatar, Weber, Danault and the prospects need to be used to land that great defender or winger. Need a gamebreaking player.
Weren't you literally just suggesting to trade Petry for a 1st+Pionk a couple days ago?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I see you mean a package of players and prospects... yes it's a good strategy, though not sure MB will go that route.

For now, gotta hope forwards Caufield, Poehling, Domi, KK, Drouin, and Suzuki, and long with dmen Romanov, Brook, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Struble, Harris, and Norlinder, and goalies Price and Primeau will be enough, along with upcoming picks.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I could see it since we could have a lot of incoming rookies next year and you don't want Laval to be too young. It's to our advantage that we get 4 years with him, so I wouldn't have any problem having him spend a year or two in the SHL.

Agreed. Norlinder in the SHL developing is a good thing in the overall formula. Even if Romanov plays two more KHL years, it's not a bad situation. However, I think Romanov will sign with us cause he should listen to his agent and go for the fastest way to burn the ELC.

Reactions: jaffy27

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
A big riser. Norlinder is on a ascending slope. Getting a spot between him and the others swedish players at his position will be the huge learning curve. He could be a long-term project. Remain to be seen his transition. That's the crucial step you know.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Anyone have the video of what Grant's talking about?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Agreed. Norlinder in the SHL developing is a good thing in the overall formula. Even if Romanov plays two more KHL years, it's not a bad situation. However, I think Romanov will sign with us cause he should listen to his agent and go for the fastest way to burn the ELC.
I’d rather Romanov come now but I get your thought process here

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's a normal one timer, still nice to see him keeping it going.

So he can play the right side 5 on 5... That's good news. I love a Dman that's open for the one timer 5 on 5.

You can see him tap his stick to call for the puck as his d partner was receiving the pass. He saw an opening for a scoring chance and made it happen. It wasn't the hardest shot. But it looks like he was trying to place it against the flow, perhaps anticipating that the goalie would be moving left and leave an opening on his right side... Good stuff.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
I thought the same, but I looked at other top elite players like OEL and he plays his owl career in the AK

Oliver Ekman-Larsson Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

he can then jump right into the AHL or with us.

he should probably play in the SHL next. I've been looking at cases of top Allsvenskan producers that moved to the SHL in the past few years, and a lot of those players' point production seem go down by more than 50% once they reach the SHL. The worst case i've seen is a d-men (Henrik Larsson) go from a 40 point Allsvenkan season (2016-2017) to 2 points in 46 games (2017-2018). If he can translate his offense to the SHL, then he should jump in North America.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Finished watching the game, it was my first game watching him, first thing that stands out in a hurry is how much this guy jumps into the play in the offensive zone. Several times he did this and if you didn't know he was a defensemen there are times if you just turned the game on you would have thought for sure he was a forward.

The game was boring as heck, his team won 5-0 and the play was in AIK's end mostly which likely has something to do with why Norlinder was in the offensive zone down low so much. Several times you would see him standing next to the goalie or past the goal line in the offensive zone. But it was also a blowout since I missed most of the 1st.

he now leads Allsvenskan in goals for defensemen and is tied for the lead in points for U-20 defensemen.

Jumps into the play in tje offensize zone ?

All I know is Julien and his ilk of coach better be gone by the time that kid comes over here, or you can forget about him.

Reactions: habsfan891

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This kid looks special, so pumped to have him/Romanov/Harris etc. We're starting to have too many assets tho :D. It's a good problem to have as long as management makes the right decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->