Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Rivet trade to Sharks sparked two threads that are still going today.

Craig Rivet --> Josh Gorges --> Andrew Shaw --> 2020 2nd + 2021 3rd

Gorges leading to Shaw: Habs got Gorges in the Rivet trade. Habs traded Gorges to Sabres for a 2nd. Habs then used that 2nd from Sabres in the trade to get Shaw. And we still have this thread going today.

Craig Rivet --> Max Pacioretty --> Tomas Tatar + Nick Suzuki + Mattias Norlinder + Jacob LeGuerrier

In the Pacioretty to Vegas trade, Habs got a 2nd Round Pick on top of Tatar & Suzuki. Habs then used that 2nd to get a 3rd and a 5th, where they picked Norlinder with the 3rd and LeGuerrier with the 5th.

The shaw part is misleading. Shaw cost us two 2nds not just one. And Shaw cost us two very early 2nds. We don't know where the Blackhawks 2nd and 3rd will wind up. Plus the 2nds we gave up for Shaw were in a draft that had Samuel Girard, who Timmins wanted to take, and Debrincat, whom we don't know if Timmins wanted.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
What's his plan for 2020-2021? Him being an overager also means he could be closer than your typical 2019 draftee. Any chance we see him next year?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The shaw part is misleading. Shaw cost us two 2nds not just one. And Shaw cost us two very early 2nds. We don't know where the Blackhawks 2nd and 3rd will wind up. Plus the 2nds we gave up for Shaw were in a draft that had Samuel Girard, who Timmins wanted to take, and Debrincat, whom we don't know if Timmins wanted.

Yes it cost the Habs two seconds, but one of those seconds was the pick Habs got from Buffalo for Gorges. So that thread originating from the Rivet trade for Gorges leads to the Shaw acquisition.

The other 2nd the Habs gave to Hawks in the Shaw trade was their own.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What's his plan for 2020-2021? Him being an overager also means he could be closer than your typical 2019 draftee. Any chance we see him next year?

I don't know what his contractual obligations are in Sweden right now. But the Habs hold his rights until June 2023, seeing as he was drafted out of Europe. So right now, there is no rush. I can see the Habs leave him in Europe for another year.

Reactions: Frank JT

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't know what his contractual obligations are in Sweden right now. But the Habs hold his rights until June 2023, seeing as he was drafted out of Europe. So right now, there is no rush. I can see the Habs leave him in Europe for another year.

I believe he has no contract for next year, currently.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes it cost the Habs two seconds, but one of those seconds was the pick Habs got from Buffalo for Gorges. So that thread originating from the Rivet trade for Gorges leads to the Shaw acquisition.

The other 2nd the Habs gave to Hawks in the Shaw trade was their own.

Fair enough. I would have added in something like (packages with our own 2nd, #39 overall).

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting... what does it mean exactly? Is he primarily expected to renegotiate something overseas or did he say he was gunning for pro camp in Sep 2020?

I don't know anything about his intentions. Just guessing, but I would imagine that he'd try to find an SHL job, which, if this continues, he'll be able to do. That would complicate things and rule out the AHL, basically.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I made the same argument. The pick that turned into Shaw was diluted and degraded and only artificially maintains a link to Rivet.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don't know anything about his intentions. Just guessing, but I would imagine that he'd try to find an SHL job, which, if this continues, he'll be able to do. That would complicate things and rule out the AHL, basically.

Worst case scenario is what, a 2-3 year contract in SWE? Which makes him a 2022 to 2023 arrival at NHL camp?

Yeesh. I guess, if it's for the best. Would rather see him in Laval soon and play with the rest of the farm.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Worst case scenario is what, a 2-3 year contract in SWE? Which makes him a 2022 to 2023 arrival at NHL camp?

Yeesh. I guess, if it's for the best. Would rather see him in Laval soon and play with the rest of the farm.

He could come to camp even with an SHL contract, I think. He just couldn't go to the AHL as he's not a first round pick.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He could come to camp even with an SHL contract, I think. He just couldn't go to the AHL as he's not a first round pick.

Technically, I think he can participate. But it's not really in the team's or player's interest because European leagues start end of August/start of September. And it wouldn't help the kid if he travels back and forth for the Habs camps and his European team's camps.

This is why we don't see European prospects at rookie or main camp (Romanov, Ylönen, Ikonen, and Olofsson). With the exception of Romanov (who can't do anything in an official capacity with Montreal), the others participate in the development camp after the draft. Unfortunately, Norlinder was injured so he didn't participate this year.

But when it comes to the rookie or main camp, none of the Euros participate. But they could.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Technically, I think he can participate. But it's not really in the team's or player's interest because European leagues start end of August/start of September. And it wouldn't help the kid if he travels back and forth for the Habs camps and his European team's camps.

This is why we don't see European prospects at rookie or main camp (Romanov, Ylönen, Ikonen, and Olofsson). With the exception of Romanov (who can't do anything in an official capacity with Montreal), the others participate in the development camp after the draft. Unfortunately, Norlinder was injured so he didn't participate this year.

But when it comes to the rookie or main camp, none of the Euros participate. But they could.

@Aahlstroem can you think of a prospect who has attended an NHL camp with an SHL contract?

This guy knows everything.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
@Aahlstroem can you think of a prospect who has attended an NHL camp with an SHL contract?

This guy knows everything.

Did Lehkonen have a SHL contract when he made the trip overseas to crack our roster and if he did not, he was going back? Or was his plan to sign one if he didn't make the Habs roster that year?

Edit: I looked into it and it looks like Lehkonen signed a two year deal with Frolunda and that expired in 15/16. So he came over with no SHL contract

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I would think they try to bring him over but if not he'll be in the SHL.

I don't believe so, the only way he could come to camp while under contract with an SHL club is if they gave the ok. Since Sweden is apart of the PTA between the IIHF and the NHL, there's a deadline to bring over players under contract with Euro clubs. I'd have to look it up, under the old PTA I believe is was late June.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't believe so, the only way he could come to camp while under contract with an SHL club is if they gave the ok. Since Sweden is apart of the PTA between the IIHF and the NHL, there's a deadline to bring over players under contract with Euro clubs. I'd have to look it up, under the old PTA I believe is was late June.

I think I have an example of a player who attended camp on an SHL contract: Carl Grundström.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm not sure they have any say in it. What they do have a say in is whether players drafted after the first end up playing somewhere else than the SHL and the NHL.

I'm 99% certain they have say in it if it's past the deadline, that's why they have a PTA in place. How would they replace the player if their season starts before ours, unless they already expected the player to leave or they worked out a deal of if he makes the NHL he stays but if not he gets loaned back. They did that with Engqvist when he came over. But that had to be worked out in advance.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Norlinder should come to camp next year. Hes going to be in his D+3, just like Brook and Fleury are.

One thing is certain is that theres too many youngster's coming in. Theres a log jam at nearly every position and from a developmental stand point, its a nightmare.

C: Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Olofsson, Hillis, McShane
W: Caufield, Ylonen, Fonstad, Ikonen, Pitlick
LD: Romanov, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Mete, Norlinder, Leguerrier
RD: Juulsen, Fleury, Brook

Moves are needed to turn that quantity into quality. The team needs to take three or four of these assets and turn it into one elite player.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Norlinder should come to camp next year. Hes going to be in his D+3, just like Brook and Fleury are.

One thing is certain is that theres too many youngster's coming in. Theres a log jam at nearly every position and from a developmental stand point, its a nightmare.

Moves are needed to turn that quantity into quality. The team needs to take three or four of these assets and turn it into one elite player.

The best way to get an elite player out of a bunch of prospects is to keep all the best ones and nurture one into that elite player.

You could package ALL of:
Olofsson, Hillis, McShane, Ylonen, Fonstad, Ikonen, Pitlick, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Leguerrier, and Fleury
and not get one elite player back.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Clearly need more talent injected into the system via high picks. System is definitely missing a stone cold killer like Kucherov who can carve up defenses with playmaking and shooting.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The best way to get an elite player out of a bunch of prospects is to keep all the best ones and nurture one into that elite player.

You could package ALL of:
Olofsson, Hillis, McShane, Ylonen, Fonstad, Ikonen, Pitlick, Harris, Struble, Fairbrother, Leguerrier, and Fleury
and not get one elite player back.
Its not going to happen. Caufield, KK, Suzuki and Brook maybe but the rest dont have that upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->