GDT: #64: Rangers at FLYERS, Friday, Feb. 28, 2020, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I would guess another contributing factor is the new playoff format. Harder for a lower ranked team to catch matchup breaks when everything used to get reshuffled.

That's an interesting point. In the current situation, you really want a scrappy Metro team to get into the Atlantic bracket and maybe assassinate or bang up one of their big dogs. Seems like a lot of Conference Finals pit a solid contender against a team on a bit of a cinderella run that usually ends in 5 or 6 games at that level...much like the Flyers against the Pens in '08 and then the Habs against the Flyers in '10. This system, with no reseeding, seems like it can produce more of that.

If you're in a top 3 Metro spot and you're trying to get to the Finals, you kinda hope Columbus or Carolina or someone can get red hot for three weeks and eat Boston and Tampa for you, because the first two rounds are gonna be brutal enough.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
just gotta beat the caps and pens game we have and we can really move up in the metro. Home ice is so crucial for us more so than any other team as we have a young hot goalie that would benefit from it A LOT
My other concern is that we peak too early. Both Caps and Pens are having a slump right now and will be back in form by the playoffs.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
My other concern is that we peak too early. Both Caps and Pens are having a slump right now and will be back in form by the playoffs.
This is an age old argument, but there is data supporting and against going into the playoffs hot. We meandered down the stretch so much in 2010 and nearly missed because of it. Also, what if we were to somehow win the division and avoid both teams 1st round? Just get in and see what happens.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Soccer fans seem to like League titles just fine. I certainly don't think there's anything wrong with preferring either but I would strongly object to categorizing the Euro style as winning on a spreadsheet. They still won X games to get there.

It just requires a different approach to team-building, rest, and other things.

The best sports fan moment of my life was the last game of a league season...

Agueeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Followed by Eagles win.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The best sports fan moment of my life was the last game of a league season...

Agueeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Followed by Eagles win.
From an entertainment standpoint nothing beats playoff hockey, imo. It's still the best time of the year in sports. It's intense, it's unpredictable, and every game really matters.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
awesome. We at home too so we have to take advantage of this. Would you start hart or elliot in this one? Hart might be a sure win at home

Id give Hart both Rangers games but in guessing they go Hart on Fri and Moose on Sun

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
We knew Vigneault was going to reach the top 10 of all-time NHL coaching wins at some point this season (unless the Flyers came out like the Red Wings) and I thought he had to be getting close--what do you know!

Currently, he's got 684 wins and is tied for #10 with Pat Quinn, though he's coached 121 less games so I think that spot is technically his now. But, he's got two chances to claim that spot all to himself this weekend, against his former team. That lined up nicely.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
We knew Vigneault was going to reach the top 10 of all-time NHL coaching wins at some point this season (unless the Flyers came out like the Red Wings) and I thought he had to be getting close--what do you know!

Currently, he's got 684 wins and is tied for #10 with Pat Quinn, though he's coached 121 less games so I think that spot is technically his now. But, he's got two chances to claim that spot all to himself this weekend, against his former team. That lined up nicely.

He is going to have so much money on the board.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
So they're seriously going to keep healthy scratching Ghost?

giphy.gif

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: