OT: 62nd Obsequious Banter Thread: Reverse Michal Handzus

Status
Not open for further replies.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Since the FIFA World Cup thread was closed.

I've never been much of a soccer fan but it's my 8 year old's favorite sport, and oh by the way he's half-french, and oh by the way we're in France. Needless to say, he's in ecstasy in his new Mbappe jersey.

Is it wrong that I feel some kind of a way? I have no memory of the 80 Phils or the 83 Sixers, the only two Philly championships I was alive for until the Phils in 08. I had to wait until I was a grown ass man married with a child before I ever got to revel in a championship, and then I had to wait another decade for it to happen again. This little punk has now seen a Super Bowl victory & a World Cup championship in the space of a few months and he hasn't even started 3rd grade yet.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
My favorite part of the new Ant-Man was the interrogation scene. That goes up there with the interrogation of Chunk in The Goonies. The random tangent about Morrissey was hysterical! I guess the director used to play in a Smiths cover band and found a way to slip his Moz love into the movie.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I just went out to the barn to say goodnight to the cats and two of them were outside sprawled in the grass, which isn't unusual. But I opened the barn door because I was going to give them some snacks, and I was hoping the third one was sitting in there, but when I opened the door, a raccoon was sitting there instead. He looked at me and I asked him nicely to leave, so he crawled under the barn door and scampered away into the field.

Raccoons are just ****ing cool, that's all there is to it.
raccoons are cool but be careful they are a carrier of rabies. people that get bit here have to get the series of shots unless they can send the raccoon to be tested.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
raccoons are cool but be careful they are a carrier of rabies. people that get bit here have to get the series of shots unless they can send the raccoon to be tested.

I know all about the vicious slander toward raccoons, but you can't get rabies unless they attack you, and they aren't going to attack you, because they are cool as **** - they especially like it when you feed them tomatoes. I should add that Florida raccoons definitely eat tomatoes you give them - I haven't tried to feed tomatoes to raccoons from elsewhere, so it may be considered a regional delicacy. The Midwestern raccoons seem to prefer cat food, which makes sense.

Reactions: Defect

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Hey guys, I hope this is the right spot to put this...

Any recommendations on where I could hold a fantasy football draft (for 8 people) on a Saturday afternoon where we could get like a little room, some bottle service, some food for a few hours...? Doesn't have to be high-end or anything...but something in Center City would be ideal, of course. Any thoughts?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Hey guys, I hope this is the right spot to put this...

Any recommendations on where I could hold a fantasy football draft (for 8 people) on a Saturday afternoon where we could get like a little room, some bottle service, some food for a few hours...? Doesn't have to be high-end or anything...but something in Center City would be ideal, of course. Any thoughts?

This would be a better place to post this type of question, something specific to the city.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/the-visiting-fans-guide-to-philadelphia-pt-2.2388471/
This is a silly place, for talking about red pandas and raccoons and other things.

But for the sake of it, I'd recommend the Field House, Fox and Hound, Fergie's, McGillan's, Tavern on Broad - all are bars that have an upstairs which could be a quieter place to hold a draft if not too late into the evening. (Fox and Hound, and Tavern on Broad, have no upstairs, but are huge spaces, I'm sure they've done this kinda thing before.) All are located near each other, approximately near the Broad St. and Locust St. area, very Center City'ish.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Dish Network is absolutely useless. We had a big storm here Saturday night and the signal went out. It was still out well into Sunday morning, just before the World Cup final was starting, so my dad called them. They said they would send out a new receiver ... and it would arrive Wednesday. Useless. They couldn't overnight it? ****ing useless.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, because I have mostly been reading anyway, but I have to have something on in the background, so I turned on the DVD player and put in "The Mummy," then "The Mummy II." Near the end, the Scorpion King makes an appearance - a very bad and stupid one. The creature is like half scorpion, half wrestler, and the CGI looks all melty and blurry and half-assed and terrible.

The long and short of it is that Dwayne Johnson, the ****ing Rock, has never looked more intelligent than in that blurry, melty, half-assed, terrible CGI scene. He sucks.

Reactions: Lotusflower

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dish Network is absolutely useless. We had a big storm here Saturday night and the signal went out. It was still out well into Sunday morning, just before the World Cup final was starting, so my dad called them. They said they would send out a new receiver ... and it would arrive Wednesday. Useless. They couldn't overnight it? ****ing useless.

Anyway, it's not a big deal, because I have mostly been reading anyway, but I have to have something on in the background, so I turned on the DVD player and put in "The Mummy," then "The Mummy II." Near the end, the Scorpion King makes an appearance - a very bad and stupid one. The creature is like half scorpion, half wrestler, and the CGI looks all melty and blurry and half-assed and terrible.

The long and short of it is that Dwayne Johnson, the ****ing Rock, has never looked more intelligent than in that blurry, melty, half-assed, terrible CGI scene. He sucks.
All the Rock's movies suck. Even the movies that are ok he's pretty bad in them.
But he sells like hotcakes and its always good to see a POC be able to draw that consistently in the mainstream.

I get why he left wrestling but he was tailormade for it. In movies he's average at best in the ring he was a legend.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
The Rundown was a fun movie at least. You get to hear Christopher Walken say "Oompa Loompas" which alone should be worth the watch.

Reactions: Tripod

drcrusher

Jul 12, 2006
I know all about the vicious slander toward raccoons, but you can't get rabies unless they attack you

Well .... Rabies is spread through an infected animal's saliva, which is usually by biting. However: I have a friend who recently had a bat in her house, and the cat caught it. Being a wildlife-loving person interested in teaching her kids about wildlife, she saved it from the cat with her own hands, then showed it to her children and allowed them to touch it. It did not bite them. She put it in a crate to take outside, at which time her husband came home and told her to take it to animal control to test for rabies.

Well, it had rabies.

She and her children were immediately sent to begin the series of terribly painful inoculations against rabies. The cat was quarantined. If the cat tests positive for rabies, it will be put to sleep.

Lesson: don't mess with or handle wild animals, no matter how chill.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Well .... Rabies is spread through an infected animal's saliva, which is usually by biting. However: I have a friend who recently had a bat in her house, and the cat caught it. Being a wildlife-loving person interested in teaching her kids about wildlife, she saved it from the cat with her own hands, then showed it to her children and allowed them to touch it. It did not bite them. She put it in a crate to take outside, at which time her husband came home and told her to take it to animal control to test for rabies.

Well, it had rabies.

She and her children were immediately sent to begin the series of terribly painful inoculations against rabies. The cat was quarantined. If the cat tests positive for rabies, it will be put to sleep.

Lesson: don't mess with or handle wild animals, no matter how chill.
The most exciting part of that haunted asylum that I saw was the room the owner had trapped a bat in. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the haunted asylum.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ

I work with viruses. Yes, do not mess with bats, raccoons, feral cats (estimated as high as 50% have rabies). I had 2 bats in my attic and people were acting like I was nuts going up there completely covered up. Then one attacked me and I jumped backward and almost fell through the ceiling but caught myself between the joists. Even rodents can carry some horrifying things.

The fun part is, if you get bit, poked, scratched and don't notice and blow it off, by the time you show symptoms you're already dead. Too far gone.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
My wife and I’s new seven month old puppy won’t stop pissing in the house and chewing our wall molding all of a sudden. We’ve had him for four months now and he hasn’t been this bad with accidents since the first week. Getting him neutered Thursday hoping that will help.

Last edited:

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I work with viruses. Yes, do not mess with bats, raccoons, feral cats (estimated as high as 50% have rabies). I had 2 bats in my attic and people were acting like I was nuts going up there completely covered up. Then one attacked me and I jumped backward and almost fell through the ceiling but caught myself between the joists. Even rodents can carry some horrifying things.

The fun part is, if you get bit, poked, scratched and don't notice and blow it off, by the time you show symptoms you're already dead. Too far gone.

Then there are the parasitic diseases like roundworm!

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
My wife and I’s new seven month old puppy won’t stop pissing in the house and showing our wall molding all of a sudden. We’ve had him for four months now and he hasn’t been this bad with accidents since the first week. Getting him neutered Thursday hoping that will help.

Maybe it's a urinary tract infection? Our puppy had a UTI for months. He was on runs of antibiotics and supplements but it was hard to kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad