Post-Game Talk: #62| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders| February 25th | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

How many goals will we score today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I just watched it and you're right. He sure as hell did. Missed call. Wonder why Varly didn't complain.
Trotz addressed it in his post game. He said they just thought it was incidental contact and wasn't going to challenge it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think Mayfield has been informed that he's not a fighter. He used to be eager to drop the mitts with guys and he has really stopped that altogether this year. Not saying he can't be physical, just something I've noticed.
I really don't want our defensemen dropping the gloves. Hate to be missing 1 of the 6 for an extended period of time.

In last night's case that would have compounded problems more with Greene leaving the game late in the 1st period.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think Mayfield has been informed that he's not a fighter. He used to be eager to drop the mitts with guys and he has really stopped that altogether this year. Not saying he can't be physical, just something I've noticed.

I don't expect him to fight, but I do expect a modicum of the snarl that he's always had. He thinks Bobby Orr out there now.

Martin has like 2 fights all year and he no longer instills any fear from opposing d-men, why is he out there then?

Reactions: stranger34 and mm11

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
One thing I noticed is where the hell was Matt Martin in all of this? Maybe Trotz told him to stand down, but as our 'muscle'... why wasn't he at least throwing the body around more after Trouba's shenanigans? Would have been nice to see him hit that overrated and overpaid piece of shit at least once.

Very disappointed with him. Get Ross in there if MM is going to continue to be a neutered version of himself.
Only guess is that if he fought they’d be down to nine forwards.

Even then, he isn’t hitting guys like he used to

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It's time to consider cutting Barzal and Bailey from PP1. It's bad enough that the players on both units hesitate before making a pass and just don't move quick enough, but I've seen enough of those 2 guys not shooting.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
And how many GWGs has Nelson and Beau scored in OT for this team? Seems like quite a lot to me.

EDIT 3 for Nelson, 2 for Beau. Isles have won 8 games in OT this season.
We're really pretty good in 3 on 3.

Last night Beauvillier had a rough first shift against Panarin and Zibanajad and it cost us. It happens.

If anyone wants t to gripe about why we lost, start with the power play.

Reactions: Strummergas

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Only guess is that if he fought they’d be down to nine forwards.

Even then, he isn’t hitting guys like he used to

He doesn't have to fight, I wasn't expecting that. I do expect him to make his presence known like he's done his whole career. He was invisible last night and that's unacceptable. He makes $2.5M as a #4LW.

Camille the Eel

We're really pretty good in 3 on 3.

Last night Beauvillier had a rough first shift against Panarin and Zibanajad and it cost us. It happens.

If anyone wants t to gripe about why we lost, start with the power play.
Was it he who turned the puck over at the blue line, leading to that game winning goal? Only saw the on line replay and couldn’t discern that turn over.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Was it he who turned the puck over at the blue line, leading to that game winning goal? Only saw the on line replay and couldn’t discern that turn over.
Beauvillier got stripped of the puck in the offensive zone, Rangers carried it out to the other end, Beau turned it over again at the blue line for the Zibanejad goal.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Beauvillier got stripped of the puck in the offensive zone, Rangers carried it out to the other end, Beau turned it over again at the blue line for the Zibanejad goal.
Yes Beau got stripped but Nelson lost his man on the backcheck. He’s gotta know that Leddy is gonna catch Panarin there.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes Beau got stripped but Nelson lost his man on the backcheck. He’s gotta know that Leddy is gonna catch Panarin there.
Panarin-Zibanejad is really difficult to defend against.

I've also been less than enthralled with Brock Nelson's play this month. GTG not withstanding. I think he's been dogging it a bit with his coverages.

Reactions: Strummergas

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Islanders were clearly the better team start to finish... Waving off that goal was an absolute disgrace and the only reason the rags got out of there with any points at all.

I think that’s the best game we’ve played since the 17 game streak and if we continue playing like that down the stretch, we’re going to be on a hell of a run heading into the playoffs

The call should have been overturned. It was a very weak call, just like some of the actual penalties called. Lots of slashing, holding, and interference ignored, and then the weak plays called. But, I don't understand the thought of "We win if that goal counts". If that goal counts, there's no penalty for the challenge being wrong. There's no short PP where Eberle rushes out of he box and buries a nice backhand. Everything after that goal changes. Maybe they score 2 more before the regulation ends. Maybe they don't score until 17 seconds left and the game still goes to OT. You're replacing 1 goal with another. It certainly changes the game we saw, but there's no "This is why the game went to OT".

Last edited:
Reactions: Lek

Camille the Eel

play in goal was also curious. Very bold challenge cutting down the angle. But you’ve got no time to react to a laser slap shot. Nit picking here, but wondering if, deep in the net, the goalie has a better shot at that save.

One thing you notice in OT, is the plays get dissected at a much more micro level.

Big point for the Isles considering how the game went.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I don't expect him to fight, but I do expect a modicum of the snarl that he's always had. He thinks Bobby Orr out there now.

Martin has like 2 fights all year and he no longer instills any fear from opposing d-men, why is he out there then?

Kreider had the puck along boards with his head partially down with Mayfield barreling down on him. This was right after JPG's goal and the crowd was going Nuts. Do you think a guy like Pilon or Kasper would not of made a board rattling attempt of a hit? Mayfield pulled up and didn't even hit him. Have to make some noise their Scotty even though Kreider could of slipped by.

Reactions: PWJunior

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
I looked at it several times and think made no attempt to avoid MDC's head. I hate to see such a unnecessary, dangerous play.
What a s*** Trouba is. He could have separated MDC from the puck, without hitting him in the head.
I did love the team's response.
I loved the response also. People can shit on Bailey all they want, but he seems to be the one always responding.
Having said that, I want to see more the next time we play the Rags...

Le Grec

Jun 28, 2011
They’re not really analogous but I get your point. Either this is a ticky tacky league or it isn’t. Problem on the goal is that the ref - for some reason - was emphatic in waving it off. He felt that Lee definitively obstructed. It’s a hard play to overturn. If he called it a good goal, it probably would have stood and Rags dont even challenge.

But I doubt we were winning in regulation so I don’t think that non-goal sank us. Just made it more dramatic with 17 seconds left.

And as good as Nelson was on the tying goal, he was as bad on the losing one. Did you really need all three guys to take the puck away from Panarin? Cover the f*cking slot ya bastard!
I disagree, it was an easy call to reverse. There is nothing Lee did that prevented a save. But I digress...

Reactions: FourRings

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Panarin makes a strong case to be the league MVP.
If the islanders landed him in free agency I think the could win the cup. I was so pissed when Panarin chose the Rangers. Pageau is a great fit for this team but they still one more scorer and feel.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If the islanders landed him in free agency I think the could win the cup. I was so pissed when Panarin chose the Rangers. Pageau is a great fit for this team but they still one more scorer and feel.
We would have had a whole different look if we were able to sign Panarin. Oh well....

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
i feel weirdly content for a loss after last night. we really did dominate play almost the entire game, just need to capitalize on those chances more. as usual, PP stunk. i really like how this team looks, though. refs had a pretty bad game but glad we were able to get a point as others(columbus, canes) lost in regulation

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
i feel weirdly content for a loss after last night. we really did dominate play almost the entire game, just need to capitalize on those chances more. as usual, PP stunk. i really like how this team looks, though. refs had a pretty bad game but glad we were able to get a point as others(columbus, canes) lost in regulation

Fix the PP and get healthier. If they can do that they will be more than fine down the stretch and playoffs.

Personally I think getting healthier is the easier of the two (which sounds insane).

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Islanders came out blazing, but I was afraid that if they didn't capitalize on that first PP, it would be rough going while the Rangers could take advantage of a breakdown or two. Sucks, but of course this type of game is pretty common when you don't have anyone near a Panarin equivalent.

Easy to see why Lou was trying to go all in on him this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad