Post-Game Talk: #62| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders| February 25th | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

How many goals will we score today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
We would have had a whole different look if we were able to sign Panarin. Oh well....
Completely healthy. WITH Pagaeu and WITH Green and WITH Panarin we are cup contenders.

But we do have Lee (instead of Panarin) and I think if we start getting some of our injured guys back we should be more than fine heading into the playoffs.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
The Greene injury was all hustle on his part. He was coming straight towards me and the look on his face was giving it everything he had and was doing anything possible to get a stick on the puck. Pure determination and heart. Great play, too bad he got hurt.

if Pageau thinks the crowd was great last night, wait until his first coliseum game that’s not 50% rags fans.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This team as constructed right now is one pure scorer away from being a legit SC contender when healthy
I think the team is a contender right now if the Isles can ice a full healthy line up minus Pelech, as long as the goaltending stands up. I actually expect better goaltending from Varly. Maybe the Korn effect will make this happen.

Reactions: PROMputt

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If the islanders landed him in free agency I think the could win the cup. I was so pissed when Panarin chose the Rangers. Pageau is a great fit for this team but they still one more scorer and feel.
Yeah, but I am also pretty sure Pageau wouldn't be signed to 6 years had the Isles gotten Panarin. The cap gets in the way of that. I am not unhappy how it worked out. Maybe one of Bellows or Wahlstrom develop into that scorer on entry level deals while resigning Barzal, Pulock, Toews, and getting Sorokin on A and B bonuses.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Fix the PP and get healthier. If they can do that they will be more than fine down the stretch and playoffs.

Personally I think getting healthier is the easier of the two (which sounds insane).
Not sure why you think it sounds insane that getting healthier would be easier than fixing the PP? Getting healthier is a function of time and to some degree luck (others not getting hurt while those already hurt heal). Fixing the PP is a function of personnel and of the two, finding and/or developing elite personnel is more difficult IMO. There is no coach, system, type of zone entry or setup that can overcome slow to mediocre puck movement and/or the lack of scorer who can stand either at the circle or in the slot (preferably both) and be constant source of fear and focus for the opposing PK. Maybe JGP can help a little but he's not that guy either. Maybe Bellows or Wahlstrom can be down the road - they certainly have the hands and quick release for it - or they can be part of the bait for someone who can.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Yeah, but I am also pretty sure Pageau wouldn't be signed to 6 years had the Isles gotten Panarin. The cap gets in the way of that. I am not unhappy how it worked out. Maybe one of Bellows or Wahlstrom develop into that scorer on entry level deals while resigning Barzal, Pulock, Toews, and getting Sorokin on A and B bonuses.
Ye that’s true. Not sure if bellows or Wally can be an elite 30-40 goal scorer. I don’t see it in either personally from watching them. Wally has more upside as he’s a better skater and is more skillful with the puck.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Ye that’s true. Not sure if bellows or Wally can be an elite 30-40 goal scorer. I don’t see it in either personally from watching them. Wally has more upside as he’s a better skater and is more skillful with the puck.
I like how Robert Thomas developed his rookie year when the Blues won the cup last season. The Bozak, Maroon, Thomas line was so big for them.

Lou really has nailed down the Center spot with the Isles. If Barzal signs a bridge or longer term contract with Nelson and Pageau in for 11m the next 5-6 years. That’s a solid 1-3 punch as it gets for the dollar value as there is in the NHL. Cizikas will have to be resigned after next season. But that may be a challenge though. By then Koivula may be the option.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
When people say the team is one elite goal scorer away from being a true (i.e., top 5 team) Stanley Cup contender, I agree. But, that's not the only way. Elite goaltending would do the same trick IMO. We've gotten solid goaltending this year but not elite. Solid is good enough to win it all but when you have the scoring issues we do, we just need it to be a bit better.

Hopefully our duo can play better down the stretch and into the playoffs. If Sorokin can come in here next year and live up to the hype, we're going to be in really good shape.

Reactions: The Real JT

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
When people say the team is one elite goal scorer away from being a true (i.e., top 5 team) Stanley Cup contender, I agree. But, that's not the only way. Elite goaltending would do the same trick IMO. We've gotten solid goaltending this year but not elite. Solid is good enough to win it all but when you have the scoring issues we do, we just need it to be a bit better.

Hopefully our duo can play better down the stretch and into the playoffs. If Sorokin can come in here next year and live up to the hype, we're going to be in really good shape.
Great point. I think and am hoping we have not seen the best from Varly yet. I think he can be better. There are times teams need a goalie to make the unrealistic save they are not expected to make. Varly has been good, but I can't recall a game he has stolen the Isles recently. Last night if he had made that unrealistic save, the Isles win the game.

About the elite scorer, the cap will almost prevent that from happening, not unless the Isles structure their team differently. I am not a fan of top heavy, bottom empty teams. And the Pasta deals are so rare, so I would be happy with the Isles Lou approach of having a solid team from lines 1-4, and D pairings 1-3. Sorokin is also coming, And if he plays like the Rangers goalie who was hurt in a car accident. This will also be a significant upgrade. And he will also want a raise if he knocks it out of the park next year. Which means elite goal scorer not likely coming. But maybe Parise can be that player next year if Lou and Guerin work that one out, with Ladd going the other way.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I love all the raggie fans and how giddy they are this morning. Talking about what a great young team/core they have over the Islanders. If they don't have Panarin right now they are a lottery team. I'll take the Islanders young core playing right now of Barzal, Beauvillier, Toews, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, and Dobson over the rangers current core of Deangelo, Buchnevich, Kakko, Chytil, Howden, Fox, and Strome(?) anyday of the week and twice on Sundays(I'll leave goalies out of the convo until we see if Sorokin comes over). Anyone in the minors, college, or juniors are wild cards and is a debate that if you are and Islander fan you love Walhstrom, Holmstrom, Bellows, Wilde and if you are the rangers you love Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Andersson.
Also anyone that thinks the Islanders didn't totally out play the rangers last night is out of their minds. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Unfortunately the better team did not win the game last night.
Once Casey and Clutter are back and the Islanders can role their 4 lines I am very confident for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

Reactions: danteipp

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I love all the raggie fans and how giddy they are this morning. Talking about what a great young team/core they have over the Islanders. If they don't have Panarin right now they are a lottery team. I'll take the Islanders young core playing right now of Barzal, Beauvillier, Toews, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, and Dobson over the rangers current core of Deangelo, Buchnevich, Kakko, Chytil, Howden, Fox, and Strome(?) anyday of the week and twice on Sundays(I'll leave goalies out of the convo until we see if Sorokin comes over). Anyone in the minors, college, or juniors are wild cards and is a debate that if you are and Islander fan you love Walhstrom, Holmstrom, Bellows, Wilde and if you are the rangers you love Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Andersson.
Also anyone that thinks the Islanders didn't totally out play the rangers last night is out of their minds. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Unfortunately the better team did not win the game last night.
Once Casey and Clutter are back and the Islanders can role their 4 lines I am very confident for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

LOL, good young team. Haha.

Andersson was a great pick, Kraptsov is amazing, Kakko is the greatest 2nd overall pick in decades!

They draft for shit and are nothing without Panarin and Zib. Good young team, what a f***ing joke. Delusional morons.

Last edited:
Reactions: IslesNbeer and Konk

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
play in goal was also curious. Very bold challenge cutting down the angle. But you’ve got no time to react to a laser slap shot. Nit picking here, but wondering if, deep in the net, the goalie has a better shot at that save.

One thing you notice in OT, is the plays get dissected at a much more micro level.

Big point for the Isles considering how the game went.

Coming out to cut the angle down is the SMART decision. Varlamov messes up when he continues skating out while the shot is about to come in. Goalie 101 states you need to be set before the shot comes in there.

Reactions: Camille the Eel

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Their goaltender and the Zebras are the only reason they weren't blown out of the building last night...I loved what I saw from the Isles from start to finish.

Yea I have a very whatever reaction to that game. If the Isles play like that, more results will go our way than not. Rangers were opportunistic -- good for them.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Not sure why you think it sounds insane that getting healthier would be easier than fixing the PP? Getting healthier is a function of time and to some degree luck (others not getting hurt while those already hurt heal). Fixing the PP is a function of personnel and of the two, finding and/or developing elite personnel is more difficult IMO. There is no coach, system, type of zone entry or setup that can overcome slow to mediocre puck movement and/or the lack of scorer who can stand either at the circle or in the slot (preferably both) and be constant source of fear and focus for the opposing PK. Maybe JGP can help a little but he's not that guy either. Maybe Bellows or Wahlstrom can be down the road - they certainly have the hands and quick release for it - or they can be part of the bait for someone who can.

Just because the PP is controllable. You can practice, work on chemistry and mix and match PP units.

Like you said, health is a lot of luck. Once you are injured, that's it, you can just work to be un-injured.

You could theoretically get a lot better in a short amount of time on the PP, but with this team they just can't do it. For other teams the PP drought could be a quick fix, but with the NYI it isn't.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Just because the PP is controllable. You can practice, work on chemistry and mix and match PP units.

Like you said, health is a lot of luck. Once you are injured, that's it, you can just work to be un-injured.

You could theoretically get a lot better in a short amount of time on the PP, but with this team they just can't do it. For other teams the PP drought could be a quick fix, but with the NYI it isn't.
Ok, in that sense I understand your argument. Though as you acknowledge, being controllable doesn't necessarily mean easy to control.

Not sure I get your last paragraph though? Could be a quick fix but not for Isles? You mean because FAs traditionally have not wanted to come here (seems to be changing)? We're on a lot of elite players NTC lists? Help me out here.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
For those bitching about where's Nelson been. it's post all star break. If you look at his career stats, he disappears after the break.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

For whatever reason, the Isles PP units just can’t move the puck fast enough to get defending PKs moving around to cause havoc. We hesitate, and Barzal and Bailey have a pass first mentality that does us no good out there. Are we not a good passing team? Partly. Vision and knowing where someone is supposed to be? Maybe. No touch around the net? Perhaps.

After going from Gomez to Hiller, I’m prepared to say it’s the players we have out there and not the coaching.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
If Boucher didn't like the fact it was only two against Trouba, how would he have coped with one of his blokes being sent off for 17!!! Lol

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
This was way worse than Lee’s smh

Apparently this is viewed as incidental contact whereas Lee's was intentional. BTW not that it should factor into the decision (or maybe it does?) but I don't think Varlamov makes the save even if his foot isn't kicked.

Reactions: SI90

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Apparently this is viewed as incidental contact whereas Lee's was intentional. BTW not that it should factor into the decision (or maybe it does?) but I don't think Varlamov makes the save even if his foot isn't kicked.
Could you not say same on Lee one? Regardless of any contact goalie moved left and puck went right. He guessed wrong and wasnt even close to a save.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
Incidental contact would still result in a "no goal" due to goalie interference. I still can't find any remote reason why our goal was disallowed, but if you want to say Varlamov didn't have a chance to save that then we can certainly say the same about Georgiev who was not only impeded by his own player but guess the wrong way through Lee's perfectly legal screen effectively giving himself zero chance to make that save.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad