Post-Game Talk: #62| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders| February 25th | 7:00 PM | F/OTL 4-3

How many goals will we score today?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
Not that any of you guys care but I thought the no-goal with Lee and Georgiev was straight bullshit. Bad call initially and a joke that it wasn't overturned on review.

To be honest, it doesn't even factor in the grand scheme of things seeing as we equalised with the goalie pulled and went to OT. Just the fact it wasn't overturned during the review is mind blowing.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
LOL, good young team. Haha.

Andersson was a great pick, Kraptsov is amazing, Kakko is the greatest 2nd overall pick in decades!

They draft for shit and are nothing without Panarin and Zib. Good young team, what a f*cking joke. Delusional morons.

To a degree you are right. But Rags are going to be a force to contend with the next 5 years. They've lucked out recently on a couple of things. Getting a first from Carolina, who made an insane deal when they should have grabbed Lehner. Getting Zibinijad for Brassard. Getting Strome, who was underwhelming but is a high draft pick and good player, for nothing? Carrying 3 Goalies then having an accident leave them with the guy we can't beat and the queen?

Other than the first game, they got all the bounces in their other 2 wins and an incredibly stupid gift penalty from Brassard in Game #2. Got Gifts last night from Refs on 2 goals.

I suspect their luck may deviate back to the mean. The Hockey gods give and take away. Isles rode a lot of luck 1rst Q or season and we've paid for it since. I have a feeling that if Isles play like they did last night next 4 weeks they'll get in playoffs and perhaps do some damage once everyone is back.

Rangers due to slide back to earth at some point.

Reactions: TMI

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just rewatched the first period. Amazing how dominant we were. Could have legitimately scored 4 goals. Eberle just missed 2 himself.

the momentum changed when we went on the PP. we had them stuck in their zone for extended time every shift Pounding away. They killed off that first penalty and got going a little bit against us.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
To a degree you are right. But Rags are going to be a force to contend with the next 5 years. They've lucked out recently on a couple of things. Getting a first from Carolina, who made an insane deal when they should have grabbed Lehner. Getting Zibinijad for Brassard. Getting Strome, who was underwhelming but is a high draft pick and good player, for nothing? Carrying 3 Goalies then having an accident leave them with the guy we can't beat and the queen?

Other than the first game, they got all the bounces in their other 2 wins and an incredibly stupid gift penalty from Brassard in Game #2. Got Gifts last night from Refs on 2 goals.

I suspect their luck may deviate back to the mean. The Hockey gods give and take away. Isles rode a lot of luck 1rst Q or season and we've paid for it since. I have a feeling that if Isles play like they did last night next 4 weeks they'll get in playoffs and perhaps do some damage once everyone is back.

Rangers due to slide back to earth at some point.

My point of contention is that their success is NOT predicated on their young talent. Panarin is a beast and Zib has blossomed, they are the offense. I see nothing special in any of their young talent, their kids are not why they are winning games. Yes the young goalies are strong, but relying on them to bail out their seemingly non-existent system is a recipe for disaster. San Jose put up a crazy amount of shots, so did we last night. That's not sustainable.

Chytil, Howden, DeAngelo, Fox are ok yet I'm not seeing star potential. Their drafting has been garbage with Andersson, Kraptsov, and Kakko so very underwhelming. K'Andre Miller is all tools and no toolbox. Kakko has potential, but he has nothing that screams burgeoning beast down the line. Their fans are so incredibly hurt in the ass that we got Dobson and Wahlstrom to an extent. Their chest thumping about their kids is so hilarious.

On top of that, they are not in an amazing cap situation either with high priced items already. Wow, they have 2 1sts, they are not top-10 picks and they draft for shit anyway.

If they become a strong team, they won't be in their current track. Strong young team my ass, it's all about their vets...

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Anyone else wanna tell me how he was hit in the chest and not the head

Attachments

• IMG_20200226_195229.jpg
    IMG_20200226_195229.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 6

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I don't expect him to fight, but I do expect a modicum of the snarl that he's always had. He thinks Bobby Orr out there now.

Martin has like 2 fights all year and he no longer instills any fear from opposing d-men, why is he out there then?

The way he plays these days I'd rather play Ross and make Matt Martin a regular scratch and fan ambassador

Reactions: JoeM

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Apparently this is viewed as incidental contact whereas Lee's was intentional. BTW not that it should factor into the decision (or maybe it does?) but I don't think Varlamov makes the save even if his foot isn't kicked.
DP, your mastery of sarcasm is a thing of beauty.. your vocabulary and grammar impeccable. But if you are going to defend that goalie interference call, your hockey knowledge is shit. Or you are the world's biggest troll. And to be honest, I have no idea which it is.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
To be honest, it doesn't even factor in the grand scheme of things seeing as we equalised with the goalie pulled and went to OT. Just the fact it wasn't overturned during the review is mind blowing.
That's the thing that blew my mind--that it wasn't overturned. I can see why a referee might have thought there was interference when it happened live. But the replay... Come on. Rangers' own Chris f***ing Kreider lives in that spot and has made a career out of it.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
That's the thing that blew my mind--that it wasn't overturned. I can see why a referee might have thought there was interference when it happened live. But the replay... Come on. Rangers' own Chris f*cking Kreider lives in that spot and has made a career out of it.
Goalie interference has been a huge point of contention for a few years now. It’s so subjective. Seemingly ever hour the league changes its mind on what they consider goalie interference. It’s ridiculous

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I've made peace like 3 years ago I don't know the rules when it comes to goalie interference and I never will because I think refs interpretations are different too. Same goes for kicking.

Remember this?

It's a toss up every time, I just wait for the decision now, no point in trying to understand. Glad they didn't let it hinder them and still get the point

Reactions: nyisles

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I love all the raggie fans and how giddy they are this morning. Talking about what a great young team/core they have over the Islanders. If they don't have Panarin right now they are a lottery team. I'll take the Islanders young core playing right now of Barzal, Beauvillier, Toews, Pulock, Mayfield, Pelech, and Dobson over the rangers current core of Deangelo, Buchnevich, Kakko, Chytil, Howden, Fox, and Strome(?) anyday of the week and twice on Sundays(I'll leave goalies out of the convo until we see if Sorokin comes over). Anyone in the minors, college, or juniors are wild cards and is a debate that if you are and Islander fan you love Walhstrom, Holmstrom, Bellows, Wilde and if you are the rangers you love Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Andersson.
Also anyone that thinks the Islanders didn't totally out play the rangers last night is out of their minds. Sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield. Unfortunately the better team did not win the game last night.
Once Casey and Clutter are back and the Islanders can role their 4 lines I am very confident for the rest of the season and the playoffs.

ive actually been saying this for months.... the young core actually looks like quite a failure. You think they’d at least realize they’re only almost relevant bc of the franchise’s location

shesterkin is great and the zibinajed trade was great but they’re only competitive bc they play in Manhattan. Fox was signing there regardless, got Trouba off of Hayes assets (college loop hole) and of course panarin.

Reactions: PWJunior

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
Their fans are so incredibly hurt in the ass that we got Dobson and Wahlstrom to an extent. Their chest thumping about their kids is so hilarious.

On top of that, they are not in an amazing cap situation either with high priced items already. Wow, they have 2 1sts, they are not top-10 picks and they draft for shit anyway.

If they become a strong team, they won't be in their current track. Strong young team my ass, it's all about their vets...

Overall I agree with your sentiment. But with those vets and the goalie they are going to be tough to deal with next few years. Would love them to finish just short of playoffs but have feeling they will catch someone.

My other contention is that they have had some luck in recent years and some things have fallen into their lap. Who'd have believed Zib would blossom into such a force.

But yes they are carrying some big contracts besides Panarin. Trouba, now Krieder. Going to cause some problems down road.

I don't think Strome is especially good. But he's playing with Panarin...sourt of like a JT Moulson effect. But Strome is much more talented tan what they gave up.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Ok, in that sense I understand your argument. Though as you acknowledge, being controllable doesn't necessarily mean easy to control.

Not sure I get your last paragraph though? Could be a quick fix but not for Isles? You mean because FAs traditionally have not wanted to come here (seems to be changing)? We're on a lot of elite players NTC lists? Help me out here.

Yeah it’s the talent thing you’re talking about. Teams that have the talent but are in a funk on the PP can get out with some tweaks and practice.

The Isles haven’t been able to get it right in two years so I’d say that ship has sailed until and influx of different offensive elements.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Their goaltender and the Zebras are the only reason they weren't blown out of the building last night...I loved what I saw from the Isles from start to finish.
I think you forgot about the horrible glaring defensive mistakes on the first and last goals. Just first grade buullllshhhttttt. No you don't leave panerin all alone in a huge game. You pay all the attention in the world to him, but you don't overcompensate like they did on the OT goal. Friggin joke.

PotvinsCups4

Apr 30, 2016
Obviously Beau made the wrong play - I think he got caught up in the emotion of the comeback and made a dumb play at the blue line instead of being more patient. And then Nelson curled towards the boards assuming a turnover when he should have been watching the slot. His play, and also Leo's on Panarin's goal, really hung the goalie out to dry. We're improving, but we need to clean up allowing those horizontal passes for shots and also work on getting more of those ourselves.
absolutely blown away with how poorly some are playing defensively. It is unnacceptable to leave panerin alone in a huge game, when he already seems to score so much on us. At what point do the players on this team get some pride and decide to pay attention to their best player,? I am shocked by this, by their indifference and ignoring panerin. Shocked even 24 hours later.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
DP, your mastery of sarcasm is a thing of beauty.. your vocabulary and grammar impeccable. But if you are going to defend that goalie interference call, your hockey knowledge is shit. Or you are the world's biggest troll. And to be honest, I have no idea which it is.

Or you are a f***ing dunce.

I’m not defending anything. I already said I thought It was a missed call. Simply providing the explanation provided by the refs in Totz’s presser. As pointed out by MJF.

TMI

Dec 15, 2019
Or you are a f***ing dunce.

I’m not defending anything. I already said I thought It was a missed call. Simply providing the explanation provided by the refs in Totz’s presser. As pointed out by MJF.
Hmmm, upon further reflection, perhaps I was over rating your intelligence, for I am certainly no dunce.

I am only PART dunce. Not the same at all..

I apologize if this part dunce misinterpreted your posts, it looked to me as if you were defending the GI call. And that call is and was absolutely indefensible. I cannot, my hockey playing friends cannot, come up with ANY reason to call that NO GOAL.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille