Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've been talking to some guys around Halifax and they say Egor is on the ice with the Crosby/MacKinnon group in Bedford.

Pretty tight to get around there but apparently he looks pretty good. Little leaner, little quicker, little stronger. Another good off season by the sounds of it.
Can't wait to see a few video clips from those sessions. It was awesome that Batherson got to skate with Marchand, Crosby and MacKinnon, if Sokolov got the invite to join them that's great news for him.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Sokolov is the only one pure goal scorer who is drafted after Marián Hossa in 1997. It is all you have to know about the Senators scouting stuff during the years. The scouting record is absolutely horrendous.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Sokolov is the only one pure goal scorer who is drafted after Marián Hossa in 1997. It is all you have to know about the Senators scouting stuff during the years. The scouting record is absolutely horrendous.

Yeah, I'm sick of them drafting only defensive blueliners like Hoffman, Dzingel, Zibanejad, Havlat and Stone. MOAR SOKOLOVS please!

Assen na yo!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Paul is a UFA - if we don’t trade him I doubt he will be playing 4LW behind Formenton. We will have made a substantial commitment to Paul and he deserves to play in our top 9.

I also wonder if or when Tierny is moved out if they don't have a look at Paul at centre on that 4th line. I hope they re-sign Paul & I expect they will, but it could also depend on how some other guys do in Belleville this yr & if they don't have better options, although right now I don't think they do. Jarventie for example by the TDL could have a really good yr in Belleville & be another option for them on the wing along with Sokolov but neither one plays centre whereas Paul can play both & take faceoffs & is very good defensively.

White has to be better this yr either at C or RW to stick around IMO & could find himself behind Paul at centre & pushed to the 4th line too. It will be interesting to see just how this plays out once Tierny is gone. And of course we can't forget about L. Brown also a centre & exactly how he fits in or what they decide to do about him, he could be the roster replacement for Tierny too, this yr anyway. Kastelic could have a good yr in Belleville too & complicate things further in a good way. Lots of good options & another example of how deep this team is slowly becoming if & when some of these young players approach NHL ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I also wonder if or when Tierny is moved out if they don't have a look at Paul at centre on that 4th line. I hope they re-sign Paul & I expect they will, but it could also depend on how some other guys do in Belleville this yr & if they don't have better options, although right now I don't think they do. Jarventie for example by the TDL could have a really good yr in Belleville & be another option for them on the wing along with Sokolov but neither one plays centre whereas Paul can play both & take faceoffs & is very good defensively.

White has to be better this yr either at C or RW to stick around IMO & could find himself behind Paul at centre & pushed to the 4th line too. It will be interesting to see just how this plays out once Tierny is gone. And of course we can't forget about L. Brown also a centre & exactly how he fits in or what they decide to do about him, he could be the roster replacement for Tierny too, this yr anyway. Kastelic could have a good yr in Belleville too & complicate things further in a good way. Lots of good options & another example of how deep this team is slowly becoming if & when some of these young players approach NHL ready.

I think your selling Paul short as a 4C… it’s going to take $$$ to keep him as a UFA and he should at least slot in the top 9. Form and White havn't done anything to play ahead of Paul. I can’t see him signing here as a 4C and if he isn’t signing here we should trade him.

This team is close to a $1 million 4C in Greig, Kastelic, or whoever emerges out of BVegas.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I would say both Sokolov and Jarventie are high risk high rewards skilled forward picks by the scouting staff in 2020. If they develop to their potential, they are potential top-6 scoring options. Both have high-end goal scoring skills, with elite shot and release. They have areas of improvement elsewhere that can be taught.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think your selling Paul short as a 4C… it’s going to take $$$ to keep him as a UFA and he should at least slot in the top 9. Form and White havn't done anything to play ahead of Paul. I can’t see him signing here as a 4C and if he isn’t signing here we should trade him.

This team is close to a $1 million 4C in Greig, Kastelic, or whoever emerges out of BVegas.
I would switch Paul & White in a heartbeat right now & make Paul the 3rd line C & have White replace Tierny, but I doubt the team does. My guess is that it will take time to move Tierny & it might take until the TDL to do that & then there is the whole subject of what happens with LB. I don't know for sure but believe this org thinks White has more offensive potential than Paul at this point, but who knows?

They may have to overpay Paul to get him slotted where he could be the most effective & help the team. But if they don't want to overpay they may have to trade him, either way should be interesting what happens with several guys this yr Paul, White, Tierny, the defence & goaltending. Lots of question marks still to be figured out.

Isn't it interesting that they have 3 centres that all have issues in White, Tierny & LB that have to be ironed out this yr & not much behind them in the org that are NHL ready that could be a solution. That in itself should explain why Pinto could likely be part of this team after TC.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ill say it again the way this kid has worked since being drafted, Iam not betting against him making the club...Work ethic and desire ,are such a huge component to go with skill...This kid has all three working for him
And with Dadonov gone a spot opens up on RW, although my guess is that they will give LB a shot first before deciding what to do.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What's funny is that I don't see Stutzle as being the elite player others do, I see him as a perimeter player who needs bigger tougher players to make room for him & protect him otherwise he's just another player. He can score goals & make some nice plays occasionally, but he is still far from being a solid two way player but he certainly has the potential to be. Batherson IMO is a great playmaker, Tkachuk makes some beautiful passes, L. Brown IMO has the potential to be an excellent passer & playmaker, Formenton has great speed & Chabot is an elite skater IMO.

Scoring IMO is the most important skill & the dangling & skating around the perimeter I could do without honestly & as long as we have guys who can go to the net & score & win hockey games is what is most important. I prefer a physical hard hitting game like we saw in the playoffs & the dangling & perimeter stuff is regular season play that doesn't work as much in the playoffs. I think Ottawa has several players & prospects coming who are & could be just as good as Stutzle & better in other areas. Chabot, Tkachuk, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, L. Brown, Sanderson, Boucher, C. Brown, Sokolov, Grieg & even Formenton can all do some things just as well as Stutzle at the moment anyway & other things better. That is not to say that he won't become elite, he's not there yet & could still be a few yrs away, we'll see how he does next yr.

Hmmm, scoring is a byproduct of having the puck in the right zone. Far as i can tell, no one scores from their own end unless it's an empty netter or it's Condon in nets.

We had the best pmd in the world but got buried when he wasn't on the ice. Chabot does a great job of moving the puck up the ice and it looks like Sanderson is going to excel at that too. That will give us 48+ minutes a night where we move the puck from the d zone to the o zone well. We'll score because of that. Cycling, point shots, rebounds, tips, deflections. It doesn't matter. Having the puck in the right zone leads to goals. The best goal scorers in the world can't score from their end.

Reactions: aragorn

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
Make a list of all the good players the Sens have drafted since then, compare it to any team of your choice's list in the same time period and then come back here and say that again please..

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Yeah, I'm sick of them drafting only defensive blueliners like Hoffman, Dzingel, Zibanejad, Havlat and Stone. MOAR SOKOLOVS please!

Assen na yo!
all those guys were traded. Stone was a 6 rounder miracle. The rest of those guys would not make 200 -300 best players in NHL in the last 30 years. Bring more examples like Dzingel wtf?? Lol.

TkachukNorrisFacts

Makes Onions Cry
Jun 18, 2021
all those guys were traded. Stone was a 6 rounder miracle. The rest of those guys would not make 200 -300 best players in NHL in the last 30 years. Bring more examples like Dzingel wtf?? Lol.
Just off the top of my head: Spezza, Hossa, Stone...would easily crack the top 200-300 in the last 30 years, not that that has anything with how good your team is at scouting. Name a team that's done better than that in that time, first overalls not included as Ottawa hasn't had any of those..

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I would switch Paul & White in a heartbeat right now & make Paul the 3rd line C & have White replace Tierny, but I doubt the team does. My guess is that it will take time to move Tierny & it might take until the TDL to do that & then there is the whole subject of what happens with LB. I don't know for sure but believe this org thinks White has more offensive potential than Paul at this point, but who knows?

They may have to overpay Paul to get him slotted where he could be the most effective & help the team. But if they don't want to overpay they may have to trade him, either way should be interesting what happens with several guys this yr Paul, White, Tierny, the defence & goaltending. Lots of question marks still to be figured out.

Isn't it interesting that they have 3 centres that all have issues in White, Tierny & LB that have to be ironed out this yr & not much behind them in the org that are NHL ready that could be a solution. That in itself should explain why Pinto could likely be part of this team after TC.

That's why I was hoping for another C (with promise) to be drafted. Even if Pinto turns out to be everything we hope he will be, a little extra insurance is not a bad idea, and moving a decent, young player is rarely a problem.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This shtick is getting old.

Dude, Ottawa is a pretty good team when it comes to drafting. We may not be in the top 5 or so, but I'd wager by all metrics we're easily in the 6-12 range. For a small budget team, that's pretty darned good. There are tons of things to complain about with this organization, but drafting should be the very last on the list.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

They hope he can score he isn’t exactly a pure goal scorer. He didn’t even score at the same rate as Norris did in the AHL. I hope he makes the NHL but he is a long shot and expectations should not be so high

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Tampa got pretty lucky with these two as well, a 2nd & 3rd rd miracle, a number of teams have had a draft lottery miracle win that has helped to build their teams. Sometimes it just takes plain luck to make the biggest difference for teams.

Kusherov 2nd rd 58th OA
Point - 3rd rd 79th OA

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
New York lottery wins as well. Crazy lucky franchise defining moment for them and their fans.

Meanwhile we have lost the lottery each time we were last or second last place, had our finest from SJ pick offset by our own plummeting draft pick to the AVs, and have had to try and draft diamonds at each position to make up for it.

It’s funny to consider where we should have legitimately picked had there been no lottery, and whether that team would be better than what we have now.

Reactions: TkachukNorrisFacts

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Vegas Releases Moneyline Odds For Each Team To Make The 2022 Playoffs

Sens have the worst line with Buffalo, Ducks and Arizona at -4000. Even Montreal at -200. That's all you need to know about Melnyk, the scouting staff and the worst GM in the hockey history. -4000!!! Good god!! People in Ottawa sure nice, but being a fan of the worst team in the legaue, which has no talent because of the budget drafting, you really do not have to be a pink pony with pink glasses. If there is going to be not a good doze of criticism for this team, this nightmare will never end.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Can't wait to see a few video clips from those sessions. It was awesome that Batherson got to skate with Marchand, Crosby and MacKinnon, if Sokolov got the invite to join them that's great news for him.

Most teams dream of having just one player from that exclusive group.

We have 2.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Tampa got pretty lucky with these two as well, a 2nd & 3rd rd miracle, a number of teams have had a draft lottery miracle win that has helped to build their teams. Sometimes it just takes plain luck to make the biggest difference for teams.

Kusherov 2nd rd 58th OA
Point - 3rd rd 79th OA

It is called a good GM, who hired an excellent scouting staff and an owner, who is willing to spend money inside an organisation. You can not expect the best talent in scouting in Sens organisation, because Melnyk is broke. You get what you pay for. Now Detroit will be on a rise. Detroit at least not at -4000 in Vegas.
You get a GM you pay for. Who does not understand the league talent. I can not believe, he was actually a scout. He is absolutely clueless about hockey.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I would say both Sokolov and Jarventie are high risk high rewards skilled forward picks by the scouting staff in 2020. If they develop to their potential, they are potential top-6 scoring options. Both have high-end goal scoring skills, with elite shot and release. They have areas of improvement elsewhere that can be taught.

I would not call Sokolov or Jarventie as :"elite shot" players at this time because it raises expectations probably beyond reason. They are good prospects and in Sokolov's case has progressed very well last year. I doubt we will see elite goal scoring from both of them.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It is called a good GM, who hired an excellent scouting staff and an owner, who is willing to spend money inside an organisation. You can not expect the best talent in scouting in Sens organisation, because Melnyk is broke. You get what you pay for. Now Detroit will be on a rise. Detroit at least not at -4000 in Vegas.
You get a GM you pay for. Who does not understand the league talent. I can not believe, he was actually a scout. He is absolutely clueless about hockey.

I agree that it is not realistic to expect the Senators to hire elite or top end talent at the GM, Coach or scouting staff levels given past experience and the lower budget that Melnyk has set for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad