Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Vegas Releases Moneyline Odds For Each Team To Make The 2022 Playoffs

Sens have the worst line with Buffalo, Ducks and Arizona at -4000. Even Montreal at -200. That's all you need to know about Melnyk, the scouting staff and the worst GM in the hockey history. -4000!!! Good god!! People in Ottawa sure nice, but being a fan of the worst team in the legaue, which has no talent because of the budget drafting, you really do not have to be a pink pony with pink glasses. If there is going to be not a good doze of criticism for this team, this nightmare will never end.

Vegas odds aren't predictive of anything.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I agree that it is not realistic to expect the Senators to hire elite or top end talent at the GM, Coach or scouting staff levels given past experience and the lower budget that Melnyk has set for this team.

Huh?

Man you guys dig deep to rip on the team. Now our GM, coaches and scouts aren’t elite or top end because Melnyk and budget.

No matter how well the team performs, how exciting the future looks, how well the kids develop in front of our eye, some folks will just never be able to give the appropriate people the credit they deserve.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Huh?

Man you guys dig deep to rip on the team. Now our GM, coaches and scouts aren’t elite or top end because Melnyk and budget.

No matter how well the team performs, how exciting the future looks, how well the kids develop in front of our eye, some folks will just never be able to give the appropriate people the credit they deserve.

Yes if it were not for Melnyk the Sens would obviously spend the most in the NHL on the best of the best...

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yes if it were not for Melnyk the Sens would obviously spend the most in the NHL on the best of the best...

Some other smaller markets spend to the cap every year and more in management, operations and/or marketing despite having a bigger negative operating income (look at the Sabres until recently for example). They just have richer owners who accept to lose more money. I believe Melnyk did at the beginning but got tired eventually as the salary cap went up massively

The NHL is an expensive playground to play in.

Do you think there's a difference in management/coaching staff budget between Montreal and Ottawa for example?

Who knows, maybe if Ottawa had a owner worth 15 billions, he'd spend a lot more in the team? His favorite "toy"

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Some other smaller markets spend to the cap every year and more in management, operations and/or marketing despite having a bigger negative operating income (look at the Sabres until recently for example). They just have richer owners who accept to lose more money. I believe Melnyk did at the beginning but got tired eventually as the salary cap went up massively

Do you think there's a difference in management/coaching staff budget between Montreal and Ottawa for example?

Who knows, maybe if Ottawa had a owner worth 15 billions, he'd spend a lot more in the team? His favorite "toy"

Buffalo still sells 17 thousand tickets on game day. Plus that arena is used a lot and brings in way more money from other venues,
Also....

The Buffalo Sabres like to point out that HarborCenter, which opens later this week, is privately financed to the tune of $172.2 million.
Left unsaid is that the complex is also publicly subsidized, enjoying an estimated $57 million in local and state tax breaks.
Sabres score big subsidies at HarborCenter - Investigative Post

Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Are you suggesting that our "problem" is the owner isn't rich enough?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Buffalo still sells 17 thousand tickets on game day. Plus that arena is used a lot and brings in way more money from other venues,
Also....

The Buffalo Sabres like to point out that HarborCenter, which opens later this week, is privately financed to the tune of $172.2 million.
Left unsaid is that the complex is also publicly subsidized, enjoying an estimated $57 million in local and state tax breaks.

Buffalo was just one random example that I had already looked so the point wasn't really to make a direct comparison.

Ottawa has its own market, maybe having an arena in the suburbs wasn't the greatest idea to begin with but here we are today. I don't live in Ottawa so I wouldn't be able to say but I would hope for Melnyk that he makes good profits with the arena with other venues. That's usually how some teams break even or even start making profits. In montreal, they make a fortune with other events at the Bell Center. They Evenko a money printing machine

You guys have the right to be big Melnyk fans/defendors but the situation with the Sens could be very different with a different owner with also deeper pockets

Are you suggesting that our "problem" is the owner isn't rich enough?

Are you suggesting that things wouldn't be different with a different owner or if Melnyk himself was significantly richer?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Buffalo was just one random example that I had already looked so the point wasn't really to make a direct comparison.

Ottawa has its own market, maybe having an arena in the suburbs wasn't the greatest idea to begin with but here we are today. I don't live in Ottawa so I wouldn't be able to say but I would hope for Melnyk that he makes good profits with the arena with other venues. That's usually how some teams break even or even start making profits. In montreal, they make a fortune with other events at the Bell Center. They Evenko a money printing machine

You guys have the right to be big Melnyk fans/defendors but the situation with the Sens could be very different with a different owner with also deeper pockets

Are you suggesting that things wouldn't be different with a different owner or if Melnyk himself was significantly richer?

Pointing out what deals other teams get does not make me a Melnyk fan or supporter, It's a nice trick you just pulled trying to discredit the statement as nothing more than Melnyk support
It's dishonest to act like the Sens can compete economicly with teams that are being given millions and it is not based in reality.
And yes you tried to make a direct comperison.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Pointing out what deals other teams get does not make me a Melnyk fan or supporter, It's a nice trick you just pulled trying to discredit the statement as nothing more than Melnyk support
It's dishonest to act like the Sens can compete economicly with teams that are being given millions and it is not based in reality.
And yes you tried to make a direct comperison.

A trick? I don't care if you're a Melnyk fan or not lol. My point was made well before that "trick"

No I didn't make a direct comparison nor would I care. The VAST majority of NHL teams spend over the cap and beyond, or near the cap at least... but not only on the roster but also hockey operations, including office staff and marketing. It doesn't matter if they have a negative operating income, many teams do.

All I am saying is that I could imagine a lot of scenarios where having a different owner could make us happier as Ottawa Senators fans... and it was the case in the beginning with Melnyk, he was ready to spend but the salary cap was nowhere near as what it is today and the team was a constant playoffs team until they started missing in 2009, 2011, 2014, 2016 and 2018 to today...

I know exactly how difficult it is for Ottawa to compete financially, I have talked about this for a while and that's exactly the root of the problem. If Ottawa wants to be profitable just from hockey operations, it needs a winning team in a downtown arena, simple as that.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Also....

Very interesting article on subsidies to the Sabres.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully, he has another good yr in Belleville & is NHL ready by the TDL to be called up & start a new chapter to his career. Looking forward to watching him this yr especially when he finally arrives in Ottawa.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully, he has another good yr in Belleville & is NHL ready by the TDL to be called up & start a new chapter to his career. Looking forward to watching him this yr especially when he finally arrives in Ottawa.

I agree … maybe even a pre Xmas short injury callup to get his feet wet before going back down and returning after the TDL.

RW looks solid with Bath, Brown, Sok, and Watson…. With Jarventie and Boucher coming.

Reactions: aragorn

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Sokolov for Captain!

Honestly, if he can force his way to the roster and become a staple top 6 winger, I may actually prefer that even more thank BT. He doesn't take anything for granted, works his ass off, bring all the right characteristics it seems, and is actually very grateful to be drafted by the Sens and seem to really want to be part of our future. I'll even go out on a limb here, and that's just pure speculation on my part, but he seems like the kind of guy that would be happy to take a home team discount and not be a d**k and grab every penny he can. He also does a lot of volunteering and really gets invested in the community he lives in from what I can tell. Seems like a genuinely great guy all around. I agree, Sokolov for Captain!

edit: added not

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zub

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Honestly, if he can force his way to the roster and become a staple top 6 winger, I may actually prefer that even more thank BT. He doesn't take anything for granted, works his ass off, bring all the right characteristics it seems, and is actually very grateful to be drafted by the Sens and seem to really want to be part of our future. And I'll even go out on a limb here, and that's just pure speculation on my part, but he seems like the kind of guy that would be happy to take a home team discount and be a dick and grab every penny he can. He also does a lot of volunteering and really gets invested in the community he lives in from what I can tell. Seems like a genuinely great guy all around. I agree, Sokolov for Captain!

Some people i get confused at how they can genuinely be such great people. Sokolov is one of them. Where do they get the energy?

Reactions: SENStastic

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Sens nation has had a long standing love affair with Russian kids who come to make Ottawa their home.

Sokolov might be the 3rd most loved Sen after Brady and Chabot.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

E_hRZTmWUAMzp6k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad