Prospect Info: 61st overall Egor Sokolov LW, CB, QMJHL

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
We've built a team identity that's kind of the opposite of his playstyle, so I feel like he sticks out a little, but there are plenty of players around the league who are still successful despite their lack of speed. I also feel like it's an endurance thing with Sokolov too, and not really "speed".

The way he boxes into the crease is an NHL talent right there already. He just sets up.
Our game is tailor made for him. Heavy, skilled forecheck with an increasing dependance on the dump and chase as you go down the lines. How is that the opposite of his play style? Sokolov is never going to be a + on zone entries so it's puck pursuit or bust for him.

If Sokolov wants to make it he needs to be heavy and effective on the forecheck and he hasn't shown that he can do that to a point where it inspires confidence.

And, his biggest weakness (skating/foot speed) has not improved to a point where you think he may overcome it, if anything the question marks are growing there.

He's not an NHLer. Let's move our attention to Jarventie as the next wild card from the 2nd round of the 2020 draft class. He's two years younger after all.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Happy he got his first NHL goal.

His skating still seems brutal but hope the games he gets fuel his hunger to get better at forechecking skating.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Our game is tailor made for him. Heavy, skilled forecheck with an increasing dependance on the dump and chase as you go down the lines. How is that the opposite of his play style? Sokolov is never going to be a + on zone entries so it's puck pursuit or bust for him.

If Sokolov wants to make it he needs to be heavy and effective on the forecheck and he hasn't shown that he can do that to a point where it inspires confidence.

And, his biggest weakness (skating/foot speed) has not improved to a point where you think he may overcome it, if anything the question marks are growing there.

He's not an NHLer. Let's move our attention to Jarventie as the next wild card from the 2nd round of the 2020 draft class. He's two years younger after all.
The forecheck down low isn't the problem for him IMO. We also play a cheaty trap, stretch pass game built on creating odd man rushes at their blueline. That's where I would say his playstyle is the opposite of our own.

A slower, more deliberate system fits him to a T, and that's kind of the norm around the league.

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The forecheck down low isn't the problem for him IMO. We also play a cheaty trap, stretch pass game built on creating odd man rushes at their blueline. That's where I would say his playstyle is the opposite of our own.

A slower, more deliberate system fits him to a T, and that's kind of the norm around the league.
That and fast reactions to turnovers in the neutral zone. He doesn’t seem to have the speed for a quick counter attack.

I’m happy to let him simmer, I’m more interested in seeing Jarventie to be honest, speed is key, it really can’t be the glaring weakness unless you are super skilled and cerebral like Stone, or G, and even then speed is still key.

Reactions: Cosmix

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Love the person and am totally rooting for him. Sokolov has NHL skill but the skating is really marginal. Happy to let him continue to work and try and make the Sens but I wouldn't pencil him in a healthy Sens lineup.

I don't see it working at the NHL level with that skating but he seems like a great guy and a worker, so I hope for the best for the Shark.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Thats a pretty quick decision on if he is an NHL player or not. Whats the rush in deciding exactly? This team has no depth and very little down the pipeline. He will get faster, his footspeed will improve.

Reactions: Bileur and armani

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That and fast reactions to turnovers in the neutral zone. He doesn’t seem to have the speed for a quick counter attack.

I’m happy to let him simmer, I’m more interested in seeing Jarventie to be honest, speed is key, it really can’t be the glaring weakness unless you are super skilled and cerebral like Stone, or G, and even then speed is still key.
Definitely "speed" is the key in the modern NHL.

Sokolov does not have reaction time speed. I did like his goal in the last game; showed that he knows how to score.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Thats a pretty quick decision on if he is an NHL player or not. Whats the rush in deciding exactly? This team has no depth and very little down the pipeline. He will get faster, his footspeed will improve.
I just don't see anything there and I don't think he has improved at all. Nothing quick about it, it's turned into a put up or shut up situation for me and he doesn't look any more like an NHLer today than he did last year.

He was a boom or bust pick that needed a steep development curve but it's turning out to be way too flat. If you are a big body with limited skating skills and IQ you at least better be able to crash and bang and disrupt on the forecheck and win puck battles or make life difficult for the opposition's defence in some capacity. He can't do that, he tries but he just isn't effective at it.

On top of that he can't keep up with the play in a way that puts himself in position to score when his line gets the cycle going. For a shooter, I don't see him finding the quiet areas nearly enough, or rolling off a check from the boards and finding himself in a position to score.

It's a frustrating player type. Jesse Puljijarvi is the poster boy for this and I just don't like players that leave you wanting so much more.

I would much rather Austin Watson in the line-up if I had to choose, for example.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I just don't see anything there and I don't think he has improved at all. Nothing quick about it, it's turned into a put up or shut up situation for me and he doesn't look any more like an NHLer today than he did last year.

He was a boom or bust pick that needed a steep development curve but it's turning out to be way too flat. If you are a big body with limited skating skills and IQ you at least better be able to crash and bang and disrupt on the forecheck and win puck battles or make life difficult for the opposition's defence in some capacity. He can't do that, he tries but he just isn't effective at it.

On top of that he can't keep up with the play in a way that puts himself in position to score when his line gets the cycle going. For a shooter, I don't see him finding the quiet areas nearly enough, or rolling off a check from the boards and finding himself in a position to score.

It's a frustrating player type. Jesse Puljijarvi is the poster boy for this and I just don't like players that leave you wanting so much more.

I would much rather Austin Watson in the line-up if I had to choose, for example.
He got 7 minutes a game. You're way too quick to decide. He's still improving.

Reactions: OD99 and aragorn

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Sokolov barely played any shifts longer than 20 seconds it seemed, playing a whopping 5+ minutes against the Canes. His skating shortcomings are well documented (and sometimes overexaggerated wrt impact on ice). Sharko looked dangerous in limited shifts and of all the players that played the 4th line this season he looks to have the most offensive abilities. I like his puck control along the boards, and he has some skilled reversals where he pushes himself of the glass with the puck to make a play/wrap around attempt. Something he does regularly in the A and seems to be able to bring with him to the bigs with his size and hands.

I already prefer him over the likes of Parker Kelly, Auston Watson, Gauthier et. al.

Reactions: bert and aragorn

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Fu5OVgFWwAIJgmu.jpeg

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

this guy wants to be a NHL player bad.

Talks about how he watches Tage Thompson & Blake Wheeler to pick things up. Keeps himself in shape all offseason.

Going to be interesting what happens with the contract and waivers at the start of the year. might want to give him a lil term and salary to deter teams?

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

this guy wants to be a NHL player bad.

Talks about how he watches Tage Thompson & Blake Wheeler to pick things up. Keeps himself in shape all offseason.

Going to be interesting what happens with the contract and waivers at the start of the year. might want to give him a lil term and salary to deter teams?

Super easy guy to cheer for. I hope he sticks around. He might need to start emulating some less skilled players if he wants to thrive in the NHL, though.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Super easy guy to cheer for. I hope he sticks around. He might need to start emulating some less skilled players if he wants to thrive in the NHL, though.

He said he doesn’t watch them do the the skilled things like scoring on breakaways that he can’t do but focuses on how they use their size away from the puck or in board battles and all the other little things that he can realistically put into his game

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad